Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert tips

Options
  • 12-11-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭

I got a load of A's in the junior cert and if anyone had questions regarding:

Maths
    Irish
    English
    Business
    French
    Geography
    Science
    Cspe
    Religion
    History

Feel free to ask

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Study advice also given happily :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

study advice wouldnt be bad

any particular subject?
    Id rather not start a 100 line rant on everything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

geography?

As you probobly know geography is split into two sections, short questions and long questions.

SHORT QUESTIONS

These require no more study than reading over your book and filling out the exam papers. out of 20 short questions you answer 20. You should aim to get over 15 correct. Questions like ticking boxes and one word answers shouldnt require too much of your intellect. You should have no problem answering these if you can fill out the previuos exam papers without looking back.

LONG QUESTIONS

You have to do 3 out of 5 but i reccomend doing as many as you have time for. Make sure you do three questions really well then try and answer a fourth one if you can. To answer these you have to provide three pieces of information: A statement, a backup of statement and an example or reference. You must know certain sections in depth to answer these such as case studies. Refer to your exam papers to see what comes up regularly. Theres usually a physical geography question, i cant remember others but im certain there is a semi predictabkle pattern

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For every subject:

1. Believe you can do well in the exam
    2. Answer the right number/selection of questions
    3. Answer the questions you are asked.

The JC is an exam designed for people to do well in.

spurious wrote: »
    For every subject:

1. Believe you can do well in the exam
    2. Answer the right number/selection of questions
    3. Answer the questions you are asked.

The JC is an exam designed for people to do well in.

In addition to these tips:

4. Do not stress yourself before an exam, as said by spurious the jc is designed for people to do well in.

5. what you get in the mocks you will probobly get 1 grade higher in the jc assuming you continue working hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Someone felt like bragging... :rolleyes:

Someone felt like helping...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hurler29

what kind of study would ya do 4 french??
    im really bad at it.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Hurler29 wrote: »
    what kind of study would ya do 4 french??
    im really bad at it.:confused:

Verbs, verbs, verbs! Try your best to learn your verbs, it will seriously help you in the comprehensions and the letter and note writing and listening as well.
    Also, practise letters, notes and postcards in your exam papers and learn off nice little phrases (that you understand) to pop in.

Vocab, keep a small copy and look through comprehensions in your book and exam papers looking up words you dont know and writing them into the copy and looking over them every night. I also read 'la monde', a french newspaper, i think, on the internet :P.

For listening, i just used the vocab i knew and listened to the cd that came with the exam papers over and over.

It prob seems like so much work but it does pay off, trust me :).

Oh and dont get stressed! The morning before my exams i was always bricking it so i just went outside into my garden and pucked a sliothar against the wall for a few minutes. Doing something you love really does calm you down!! (well it did for me :P).

Edit: my french teacher used to always shout 'TENSE!' at us for our verbs. I went into my exams and when writing up my letter, her voice just came into my head 'TENSE!' and i noticed that all my verb tenses were all in the present form (so i had to go back and change some). Moral of the story : Tense of verb - always check over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Oh, I need tips on Science and History!
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

padocon wrote: »
    Thanks in advance!

oh i love science to bits! Got an A (with alot of hard work though!).

1. Experiment Folder.
    Just make sure you have all the experiments written up. No biggey.

2. The assigned experiments.
    Tbh, all i can say is to write it up to the best of your ability. Get your teacher to help if you are unsure. Dont take any chances.

3. Written exam.
    I studied for the exam section by section. Firstly chemisty, physics and then biology. Tbh, i spent the time of at least 2 months learning it to get everything learnt off perfectly (as i wanted an A so much).

I got a big refill pad and took down loads of notes looking over them every night so i Wouldnt forget them. Learnt all the equations in chemistry and you'll have to learn all the experiments too for each section (30 i think there is in total..).
    For physics and the formulas, i just wrote them in the back of the refill pad as well as in my notes and kept looking over them. For biology, i drew lots of diagrams. I learn better with diagrams, not sure what you're like though..
    Revise wise science is really good btw. Well worth a tenner or whatever it is.

Oh and exam papers! They are key.. The questions in chemistry especially, i found, repeated alot (making 02 and CO2 especially).

History, well i learnt a few people in history essays. I Wouldnt be a good person to give advice on that subject because thats preety much all i did :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

padocon wrote: »
    Thanks in advance!
    In science Soccymonster's advice is pretty much it. For science:

In experiments make sure you've written out all the mandatory experiments. The ones that aren't mandatory don't matter. Easy stuff.

For the project:
    Write a "mock" project before you do the real thing. See if your teacher will have a look at it. Plan what you'll write in each section. Don't just make-it-up-as-you-go-along. You'll make mistakes.

Make sure you completely understand each section.

If you've discovered what you're project is through research, don't be apprehensive about indicating that to the examiner. I.e. don't play dumb, if you've found out through research what you're doing, then write it down.
    For example, last year we had "Qualitatively investigate the relationship between current and heat produced" or something to that effect. Through research, I found out that basically we were proving Joule's Law. I wrote down that I had found this out in my project and wrote in my title "To Prove Joule's Law" (again, make sure you write this in your right section).

Don't be afraid to ask your teacher. I pestered mine.

For the exam:
    If you want a B, pressure's off if you did everything else well. Know your stuff to an okay level and you'll be fine.
    If you want an A, make sure you know all your experiments, biology, chemistry and physics.

History:

This is just a load of learning. There's no understanding. There is clever ways of doing it though. I predicted what was coming up on our papers in the "Political History in Ireland in the 20th Century" on Q6 which comes up every year. I also predicted the "People in History" question (Q4 I think). It's risky and don't rely on it completely...just focus abit more on what's likely to come up. That's what I did and I got an A, especially in the Q6 section on Irish history. Don't hold me responsible if it all goes wrong though (i.e. you rely on it completely).

That said, make sure you know everything else, just in case. Also, it's a risk, but who dares wins. You still need to comprehensively know all your stuff for the short questions anyway, the documents and pictures questions, and Q5.

For the exam:

Prioritise question 6. It's 60 marks out of 180. Irish history, social change and WW2 come up every year. Irish history is difficult, I hated it. I predicted what'd come up for the essay on it and I was right. If you want an A, don't do social change. Just don't. It sounds easy, but it's marked incredibly harshly. If you misread a question you're completely ****ed, to be crude. If you want a C, maybe a B, do it.

Pictures and documents are random and easy. Get the most marks you can, but don't waste your time on them.

Short Q's are easy if you know your stuff. Attempt as much questions as possible (don't just do the bare minimum of 10) and you're pretty much gauranteed full marks in that section, if you know your stuff.

Question 4 Essays. Write sample essays. Don't learn ones off, just learn key points. They don't have to be the best English. They're looking for key points.

Every 2 marks is one key point. In a 10 mark question, they want 5 points.

Read every question carefully. A misreading could be costly.

God, that was quite an essay. I have to start copying and pasting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

Are you still offering help?

Did you learn off an essay for Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Borak

Why didn't you do German? I know I'm going to get a NG on it :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

jumpguy wrote: »

In experiments make sure you've written out all the mandatory experiments. The ones that aren't mandatory don't matter. Easy stuff.

There is a great book out there with a free dvd that goes through loads of experiments. Think its called "Science experiments shortcuts to success" Well worth a look

grinds wrote: »
    jumpguy wrote: »

There is a great book out there with a free dvd that goes through loads of experiments. Think its called "Science experiments shortcuts to success" Well worth a look

Exploring Science has a DVD as well, though, I've yet to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

Are you still offering help?

Did you learn off an essay for Irish?

For Irish...you can....and you can't learn an essay........It depends on what essay you learn and also how confident you are in twisting parts of essay's around to suit the title......but a general set of phrases e.g (like a person fainting in front of you, you call ambulance and go to hospital with person, doctor comes out and everything's okay) can be very useful as long as you have the ability in Irish to write 6 or 7 sentences to provide context to the story. Having said that only 10 marks go for the context so.......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

any tips for irish? (higher level)
    im sooooooo scared about the irish exam :(
    i always seem to do ok in exams, i usually get a B, but these exams arent as hard, so im nervous, becasue i get A's in everything else...
    should i be concerned that as of today, ive done 1 poem and no prose, and we havent even looked at the prose question on paper 2 0_o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Azuraiii

Business pls.

There is so much to cover in the book.
    Which area should i DEFINITELY focus on?

Azuraiii wrote: »
    Business pls.

There is so much to cover in the book.
    Which area should i DEFINITELY focus on?

Know your Books of First Entry, Budgeting, Business Documents, Trading P/L Appropriation Account inside out. They pretty much come up every year, so there's no excuses for not knowing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 aarong1169

im not tryin to be sarcastic now but why are ye worryin about d jc if its so far away or...should i be worryin?

aarong1169 wrote: »
    im not tryin to be sarcastic now but why are ye worryin about d jc if its so far away or...should i be worryin?

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 aarong1169

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

no serious though, it is really early yet and lyk im only concentrating on my christmas tests and only studyin wa we did so far this year...is it too early to start worryin about it lyk? on the 1st january im gonna start studyin for my mocks.....but, for now im only concentrating on my christmas tests or am i wrong to do that?

no serious though, it is really early yet and lyk im only concentrating on my christmas tests and only studyin wa we did so far this year...is it too early to start worryin about it lyk? on the 1st january im gonna start studyin for my mocks.....but, for now im only concentrating on my christmas tests or am i wrong to do that?

Well, no. I'd imagine we are all concentrating our study towards our Christmas tests at the moment. Anything else would be quite stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

No christmas tests :D

Depends. If you're a 3rd year, then you shouldn't be dossing about. If you're second year, it shouldn't worry you too much. Good luck on it though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 horse outside

Any tips for Religion HL or Irish OL ?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

Any tips for Religion HL or Irish OL ?? :confused:

Well, As I do HL irish, I can't really help you, but i'd imagine that you'd wanna learn of some really nice A standard phrases, if you're looking for an A.
    Other than that, Learn Grammar, Check the notes thread, I have some notes, on modh cionniollach and saor briathar, also, Do reading comprehensions.
    The only way to do well in the Leamhthuiscint, is (IMO) constant practice.
    Unless you wanna learn off reams of vocab :D

Never do anything in Religion.
    Hate it.
    My teacher is an idiot.

Advertisement