Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert tips

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Seriously, do not stress over the JC. The examiners will be DYING to give you marks, and you honestly don't have to kill yourself at all to do very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 horse outside

would any one have an irish essay on "the match" / cluiche

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

The chief examiners reports on www.examinations.ie can give you pointers sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭niaroh1x96

Any tips for HL Irish?? especially Aiste, Litir etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Any tips for Religion HL or Irish OL ?? :confused:

Religion HL is simple, I only got a C but that's because I didn't study.
    Learn the festivals and rituals in Islam (Or whatever other religion you're focusing on), learn symbols and prayer, prepare to write a lot and do a good bit of work in exam papers.

Of course you need to a good job on your project book thing aswell, waffling is alright for it, keep repeating yourself and always, always refer back to the question and try to fit in the title.
    The examiners seem to like big words used in it too for some reason.

OL Irish:
    Did it change? I'm not sure, since the LC Irish changed.
    Anyway, learn a good few basic phrases for postcards and letters, the rest is easy enough.
    Also, if you're not doing much aural in school do some at home, practice makes perfect and all that.

Tip for all JC students:

There's a brilliant little science book I'd recommend to everyone, it looks just like a leaflet or a pamphlet, about 80 pages and it has absolutely EVERYTHING in it that you could possibly need for the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

Well I'm doing the Junior Cert this year and really not sure what to expect at all. "Quite clueless actually." confused.gif As you all know, the mocks are "just around the corner" and I'd like to know if they're really difficult in comparrison to the big "JC" or not far behind at all?? smile.gifeek.gif
    I have been studying since October and want to do well, I spend about 4 and a half hours every night at my homework (study and homework.) Is this enough or should I have been studying since September?? Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Well I'm doing the Junior Cert this year and really not sure what to expect at all. "Quite clueless actually." confused.gif As you all know, the mocks are "just around the corner" and I'd like to know if they're really difficult in comparrison to the big "JC" or not far behind at all?? smile.gifeek.gif
    I have been studying since October and want to do well, I spend about 4 and a half hours every night at my homework (study and homework.) Is this enough or should I have been studying since September?? Thanks in advance. smile.gif

That is LOADS of study, seriously, if it all sticks you should do really well.
    The mocks, everyone says they're harder than the JC but I think they just mark them harder/give you a lower grade to kind of spur you on.
    Nearly everyone in my year got better grades in the actual JC than in the mocks anyway.

How long were your answers for English for the exam?? (on the comprehension/unseen poetry e.t.c.) I do a full page and I'm not sure if I'll have enough time in the exam to do the same! :)

Thanks very much.

How long were your answers for English for the exam?? (on the comprehension/unseen poetry e.t.c.) I do a full page and I'm not sure if I'll have enough time in the exam to do the same! :)

Thanks very much.

On the comprehension my answers weren't very long, about a page or two for all of them, they're not really looking for long answers on it I don't think.

For the unseen poetry I think I done about a page and half, I'm not sure.

Yeah time management is important, especially in English, I was writing up to the very last minute!

No problem.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Thanks very much.

Depends on the question and the marks going for it. My teacher gave us this breakdown for how long we should write for a question depending on the marks allocated:
    5 marks - sentence/short paragraph
    10 marks - half a page
    15 marks - 3/4 page to 1 whole page
    20 marks - 1 page to 1 1/2 pages.

Obviously it's quality not quantity but do try to write enough. Make a point, back it up with evidence (quote). Avoid repitition, examiners will get seriously bored!

Good luck with the mocks. :)

• Advertisement

I was doing about a full A4 and a half for 15 marks and up to 3/4s of a page for 5 marks! :p

Any tips for getting full marks in people in histories; how many points of information do you have to have to get full marks?

Once again, thanks so much! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shamrock883

I was doing about a full A4 and a half for 15 marks and up to 3/4s of a page for 5 marks! :p

Any tips for getting full marks in people in histories; how many points of information do you have to have to get full marks?

Once again, thanks so much! :D
    A rule of thumb with history is this: Half the marks per question = the amount of points you would want to be writing down at a minimum. For example, 30 mark question would mean 15 valid, concise points (Examiners aren't looking for information that he was born when the sky was blue and played hopscotch as a child). Also, dates don't matter. I'd say this has already come up somewhere around here though...

Advertisement