Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio/manuals for imported digger

• 12-11-2009 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

My Dad bought an imported Japanese Hitachi (I think EX75), but the built-in radio only has Longwave frequency on it. It's built into the part that swings down on the left when you sit into it.

What's his best options? All he needs it for is to get FM radio on it, no need for iPod docking or CD changers. I was thinking he'd be best getting a suckered shower radio and sticking it to the window, but maybe someone else has another idea?

Also, the manuals that came with it are all in Japanese - are there any options for getting manuals anywhere (either hard or soft)? Most of the controls are easy enough to understand, but there are 2 electronic boxes in the cab that might be useful to get the most out of - one seems to allow you dial to a setting which prevents the bucket going below a certain distance. The other looks like it can calculate weights excavated and distance travelled, but there are a number of buttons on that box. Any direction would be gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you stuck for space behind the unit? some diggers use a more shallow radio type. make sure a standard DIN sized radio will actually fit in there.

Argos do a basic ALBA CD player for €53.49
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5006470/Trail/searchtext%3ECAR+CD.htm

Halfords do a Sendai CD player for €49.99
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_237951_langId_-1_categoryId_212600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you stuck for space behind the unit? some diggers use a more shallow radio type. make sure a standard DIN sized radio will actually fit in there.

Thanks for the links.

I don't know how much space is behind the unit. I'll probably be down with them at the weekend, so guess we should figure out how to take it out, and measure it up. The front looked a bit thicker/higher than normal, but it may just have been the awkward orientation making it seem so. Makes sense to see if the connections are standard or not as well.

polyfusion wrote: »
    Makes sense to see if the connections are standard or not as well.

They won't be!

Japanese car radio sizes are usually close to standard DIN sizes, you can usually fit one in. Can you post a pic of the stereo that's in the digger?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can you post a pic of the stereo that's in the digger?

Will do - if not this weekend, then it'll be next.

Had a look at the radio again this weekend. Turns out that it's actually an AM/MW radio (520-1600), and the cable to the aerial had been cut through, probably by some gnashing metal parts under the swinging left console. Soldered up the cable, and it works ok now, but no Irish channels are broadcast on MW anymore, as far as I know. There are a lot of UK channels available on it though, so it'll probably do for now.

Some pics of the radio below. I must research further whether the socket is something I can get a replacement radio for if needed.

• Advertisement

I have a Toyota AM/FM unit that looks like it would plug and fit straight in. As its Jap spec it'll only get Radio 1 on FM as it needs a band expander fitted to the aeriel lead to pick up the other stations.

Give me a shout if you want it. It's just taking up space here. The plug looks the same, will check when I get home.

Very interesting, thanks for the info; I had no idea about the limited Japanese FM frequency range.

I noticed on the aerial lead, about 50cm from where it plugs into the radio, that there is a cylindrical block on the cable like the one in the page you linked. Maybe it already has this expander? (but why would it for just an AM radio?) The ariel lead just ran straight through it though, not in and out on one end like on the page you linked. I assumed it was maybe some kind of interference reducer or something (like you'd often see on a PC or monitor cable), but it didn't seem heavy, and sounded quite empty/hollow. It was down on the floor near where the cable disappears behind the seat on it's way to the external aerial, so awkward to get to to inspect more closely. I not sure whether it was for otherwise clipping to a point or passing through a plate.

Anyway, my Dad would only be listening to Radio 1, so it would suit him fine, even without the expander. Please do let me know if the socket/plug is the same - I'd defo be interested in it. I think the brackets have enough holes already in them to adapt to nearly anything. There was plenty of room in the console too, so something deeper would easily fit too.

Just checked the plugs there, they're similar but not the same. Sorry about that.

No bother, thanks for checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

Just wondering did you get the radio sorted in the end?

Im looking for a Radio at the moment, you can see my post here

• Advertisement
Advertisement