Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed: Studio Equipment

• 12-11-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hey peeps,

Not been around much in the last while but been keeping myself busy. Namely getting into College doing photography (well photography portfolio Preparation).
    So decided to him in feet first and I just bough a Nikon D700 (sorry Sebzy, :( I'm jumping ship mate) and I am now looking to get some studio equipment and I could use some feedback and or suggestions

At the moment I am looking at this:
    http://www.lencarta.com/elitepro-mains-flash/fep300ktsb-elitepro-twin-head-softbox-kit-with-background/index.php

The reason for this set is that I watched and read a review on it and it looks great. Nothing is cheaply made and plastically or anything like that and its gotten good reviews. But also the price, I was not really looking to spend more than €500-€750.

My worry is that I stumbled onto this company almost my accident some time ago and its always been in my mind to get this one if I got studio equipment. Problem is that, while I have looked, I have not put that much effort into looking for their competition and I am wondering if someone else has any thoughts or suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Have a look at the stuff in this thread, it seems good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Never heard of Lencarta. They look alright though. Here's a link to the competition in that price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Have you set up and used a studio before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

nope, not yet but thats the point of college I suppose :D

Na I'm quite sure about the fact that I want some studio equipment. The kind of photography I am into is leading me there. Well a portion of it anyways

But I do understand the basics. I have used the stuff in college but its mostly been done for us, but I understand the basics

Understanding the basics and knowing how to use studio lighting are two completly different things - If you're heading for a college course, why don't you learn the ropes there, and when you know what you're going to do, buy the gear to suit you then, rather than buying gear because it's what other people bought.

Tbh, too many people buy studio lighting without a clue how to use them, and they never really improve - you see it all the time.

Even if you're sure the studio is where you're going, see what you like to use there. Don't skimp on your lighting (Strobism is, for all the world, sh*te.) and especially don't skimp on your diffusers. If you hold off for a year, make sure you're going to use the lighting kit, and save another few bob through the year, you'll have twice the money to spend on kit that's several times better, and a years worth of knowledge to use with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I get all that tbh man. But regardless I actually need equipment for my own use. 1) for projects and 2) for some work that if it works might keep me afloat cash wise.

I have been holding off on buying equipment for some years now for many reasons and I feel now that since I am jumping in properly and also seeing as I will be spending the next 4-5 years in college I will have people to teach me how to use it properly. While I may not get it right at the start time and instruction will help me improve.

I am really just hoping that someone can advise on the equipment its self. Problem is while I don't particularly want to skimp on the equipment I just shelled out 3 grand on a camera, a lens and equipment and I will be needing to spend another 1-2 more on another lens, or 2 so cash is tight. Later on I will invest in a proper studio system when I can afford it but tbh at the moment I just want something semi pro that will not let me down for a couple of years at least.
    The lencarta stuff looks good but I was wondering if I missed some other company that were great. Cause if you dont ask you only hear about them after you have spent your money :D

If it's for projects, you can surely get equipment from college? And surely better equipment than you'd have been able to buy yourself? And I'm sorry, but the whole "Well, I'll get them and if they work, I'll get some cash" thing doesn't float my boat - Learn how to use them, and what you use before you do that.

Think about it - 200's suit some people, 800's suit others, what are you going to need? And how much control over that power will you need? Some folk prefer softboxes, some prefer umbrella's - What do you prefer. How many lights do you like working with?

If you're in a college environment, you'll find all of those answers before you pay over your hard earned cash, and get what you need, rather than what other people tell you to get.
    I will be needing to spend another 1-2 more on another lens, or 2 so cash is tight. Later on I will invest in a proper studio system when I can afford it

Why not just wait another while and get the quality lights, rather than looking for the cheapo option. Especially if you need new glass - Get your glass first, it'll be far handier in the long run. Tbh, I've never heard of Lencarta's lighting systems before, and I've used a hell of a wide range of lights. Go for something that's well known, even if it means shipping in some Alien Bee's (As far as I remember, DotOrg imported some no problemo)

If you feel that you're jumping in properly now, then wait until you've settled before you spend your money - And listen to the person that's trying to save you money in the long run (And has been in your situation before).

Or if you just want some flashy new things that'll go pop, then /rabble rabble rabble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Personally I would only Consider one of the well known "Brands" like Bowens or Elinchrom - which are both popular in Ireland, with lots of available accessories. Think of them as the Canon and Nikon of the lighting world!
    Profoto, Hensel (High end) and Interfit (budget) are other well known brands, which will have back up (possibly not in Ireland though), but at least the have all been around for years. Two options that you should consider are Elinchrom's D-Lite 4 and Bx-Ri.
    When considering a lighting kit spend time checking out the actual quality and fit of the accessories and not how many accessories are bundled.

Advertisement