Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking on the road [Balbriggan]

Options
  • 12-11-2009 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi

There is a row of houses in Balbriggan near the graveyard that some people park cars on outside the houses. These cars completely block one side of the road forcing cars to drive for some distance on the wrong side of the road.

I don't think people should be allowed to just plonk a car on the road like that? Are they breaking the law?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

callig wrote: »
    Hi

There is a row of houses in Balbriggan near the graveyard that some people park cars on outside the houses. These cars completely block one side of the road forcing cars to drive for some distance on the wrong side of the road.

I don't think people should be allowed to just plonk a car on the road like that? Are they breaking the law?
    Its been like that for a long time, but its not against the law as there is no road markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I heard that those houses were 'accidentally' build backwards by the developer. The front of the houses should not have been facing the main road, as it was in the planning application.
    (I should probably add allegedly there :), as I don't have a link the exact planning application details to hand)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They do it on Moylaragh road too.
    It should not be allowed as is is dangerous for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Which side of the graveyard? One side people park there to visit a grave and the other side people park to recycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Sometimes its difficult for Councils to get lines down as I have seen 2 cases where residents produced the planning details and it stated clearly the residents could park outside.

That road needs upgrading with the growth in traffic. The new estates are a joke. How would a fire engine get through them in an emergency?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭callig

Which side of the graveyard? One side people park there to visit a grave and the other side people park to recycle?

It's the road across from the graveyard that runs down into the village the cars are parked on it all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Chapel St I think its called?

Its awful,holds up traffic a lot and don't know why people would risk parking their cars there incase their mirrors get clipped or car scraped?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 williamsjos

new estates are a joke. How would a fire engine get through them in an emergency?

Sorry a bit off topic but have to agree with you there. Not just how will they get through the estates but how badly signposted they are. Last night we had an ambulance come through our estate and it didn’t know where it was going. My wife was on her way out to direct them but they must have phoned back to base for directions this was not the first time this has happened and because all the estate is cul de sacked it has to do 3 point turns to get back out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Moonbeam wrote: »

Try navigating them on your bicycle - I've been a near miss a few times despite flashing lights a high viz vest and signalling clearly.
    The footpath is not an option to cycle on !
    Have written to Fingal about this but have not received a response re possible yellow lines along Moylaragh as yet - will keep you posted.

God I'll start ranting about people walking in the cycle lane near the Garda Station now - I need to invest in an air horn as no-one moves .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

This section of Chapel Street (from it's junction with the Harry Reynolds Road to Fulham Terrace) will eventually be either one way east to west, west to east, or a cul-de-sac. Plenty of discussion about it in the past during FCC and BTC meetings.

Probably won't be any movement on it until the new road system is put in place in Stephenstown and phase III part 2 of the inner relief road complete (which has just started).

Simple solution is of course to double yellow both side and provide parking bays on the grass verge which backs onto Tara Court on the opposite side of the road.

• Advertisement

callig wrote: »
    It's the road across from the graveyard that runs down into the village the cars are parked on it all day long.

Yep thats bad in a car! Will be worse if not sorted b4 the big centre is built beside the graveyard!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Vagante

What annoys me the most is people parking on the main street in Balbriggan.
    This is really ridiculous-not only is the street up hill making it hard to navigate at the best of time but you have the bright sparks parking just at the top of the hill so visibility is practically null-but no-one seems to enforce the law here-and I dont believe it can be legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Moonbeam wrote: »

Some residents are doing this as a form of protest - when they bought their houses, this road was supposed to be a cul-de-sac, not a main road servicing other estates, a school and the shopping centre. They held regular protests about it a couple of years back, I think that the speed bumps and realignment at the top of the road were supposed to have resolved this.

It's an inconvenience but I can understand their point. The road is completely unsuitable for the volume of traffic, especially large trucks and lorries. A lot of cars drive down it way too fast as well, and there has been some accidents on it already. The "Stop" sign at the top of the road is ignored by most drivers as well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

Absurdum wrote: »
    They held regular protests about it a couple of years back, I think that the speed bumps and realignment at the top of the road were supposed to have resolved this.

when i was living up there 2.5 - 3 yrs ago they were always protesting and standing outside the doors with signs, my OH at the time used do deliveries for a company in the area and used get the height of abuse off the residents for driving up and down there constantly, which he obviously couldnt avoid when people wanted deliveries.

I feel sorry for the residents there- its a terrible road! Hopefully a relief road can be built from the naul rd straight over to the wasteland at the back of dunnes soon!

Advertisement