Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving Test on 20/11/2009

• 12-11-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just received a letter confirming my driving test on 20/11/2009 at Finglas Test Center. I have few general questions about it:

I sold my old car and just bought another car. I am still awaiting registration certificate and Tax is out on it. Do I need to get all this sorted before I go with same car for my test?

I've got my insurance transferred on it and still awaiting Disc. I dont have any document to show insurance is transferred or not.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

zulfikarMD wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just received a letter confirming my driving test on 20/11/2009 at Finglas Test Center. I have few general questions about it:

I sold my old car and just bought another car. I am still awaiting registration certificate and Tax is out on it. Do I need to get all this sorted before I go with same car for my test?

I've got my insurance transferred on it and still awaiting Disc. I dont have any document to show insurance is transferred or not.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.

The tax disc doesn't matter for test purposes, the tester has to conduct the test, even if it's out of date. However the Ins Disc must be in date, and must show the reg of the car you're driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

brian076 wrote: »
    The tax disc doesn't matter for test purposes, the tester has to conduct the test, even if it's out of date. However the Ins Disc must be in date, and must show the reg of the car you're driving.

The following must be displayed on your vehicle:
    a) Current valid motor tax disc and insurance disc.

b) NCT disc - vehicles obliged to undergo the National Car Test will not be taken for test if not displaying the appropriate disc. (You can call the NCT service on 1890 412 413 for further information).

c) ‘L’ plates front and rear (a rectangular plate or sign bearing the letter ‘L’ not less than fifteen centimetres high in red on a white background and a border of at least 2 centimetres). From 1st December 2007 all provisional licence/learner permit holders for motorcycle licence category A, A1, or M, must when driving such a vehicle display a yellow fluorescent tabard bearing the letter ‘L’ not less than 15 centimetres high in red on a white background, in clearly visible vertical positions front and rear worn over the chest clothing.

I dont think without it any valid disc displayed on the front, I will be allowed to appear for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

zulfikarMD wrote: »
    The following must be displayed on your vehicle:
    a) Current valid motor tax disc and insurance disc.

b) NCT disc - vehicles obliged to undergo the National Car Test will not be taken for test if not displaying the appropriate disc. (You can call the NCT service on 1890 412 413 for further information).

c) ‘L’ plates front and rear (a rectangular plate or sign bearing the letter ‘L’ not less than fifteen centimetres high in red on a white background and a border of at least 2 centimetres). From 1st December 2007 all provisional licence/learner permit holders for motorcycle licence category A, A1, or M, must when driving such a vehicle display a yellow fluorescent tabard bearing the letter ‘L’ not less than 15 centimetres high in red on a white background, in clearly visible vertical positions front and rear worn over the chest clothing.

I dont think without it any valid disc displayed on the front, I will be allowed to appear for the test.

L plates, Ins Disc & NCT if applicable are required, however despite it being mentioned in the list of requirements, a current tax disc is not actually required. There's a loophole in the law which prohibits testers from refusing to carry out a test if you don't have an up to date tax disc.

I know it sounds strange, and you could actually be stopped and prosecuted by the gardai for not having a tax disc, but you'll still be tested.

(There was actually quite a lenghty thread on this subject some months ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

Appreciate your clarification on this brian076. Thank you.

Advertisement