Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to Carlow

Options
  • 12-11-2009 4:28pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My job is moving to Carlow after Christmas. My job involves weekend work and the odd late evening (finish around 8ish). Problem being, I don't drive but I plan on getting my license next year. I've obviously checked out sub-third world transport Iarnrod Eireann and Bus Eireann, but neither timetables suit me. I was more hoping for a private company or something.
    Cheers in advance
    Jersey

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd say you'll be in a spot of bother as you might be out of luck, however have you tried Kavanaghs - http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Kavanaghs goes through Gowran unfortunately but there is a college bus that goes once a day. I commute to Carlow everyday. 9ish to 6ish. However im on the road a good bit so cant really offer regular lifts. I sometimes get the train and its pretty good but if the times dont suit your probably out of luck. There is talk of them putting 2 more trains on daily. ( or extending the ones that stop in carlow anyway)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It'd be OK, except for the one or max two evenings where I'd finish at 8pm, even in the summer I'd be grand with that 'cause I'd cycle it back, but I won't be able to that when it's -5, snowing or stormy.

Thanks for all the suggestions they're much appreciated.
    jerseyeire

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is there a private bus that serves the IT? Thousands drive between the two everyday if you could share lifts some way. It's strange how somewhere so near appears far when you don't have own car. Car is king in Ireland unfortunately and you're kinda bunched without one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, I was wondering how stupid/crazy or good idea this is? I have my theory test on the 16th, I pass, I get my provisional license. I then buy a scooter (only thing I can legally drive with a provisional) to get me up and down until the summer when hopefully I pass my full test and get a car.

• Advertisement

Thatsnot a good idea man. I drive that road everyday and there is lots of trucks and fast moving vehicles. If it rains there is spray and the like. Plus if i get stuck behind you i'll go mental! :DI would chance driving a car with your provisional and try and get your test asap!

jiggajt wrote: »
    Thatsnot a good idea man. I drive that road everyday and there is lots of trucks and fast moving vehicles. If it rains there is spray and the like. Plus if i get stuck behind you i'll go mental! :DI would chance driving a car with your provisional and try and get your test asap!

Yeah, it's a whöre of a situation, there is a hard shoulder nearly all the way up and the motorway will take a lot of traffic off the road. I cycle that road a lot and it's not dangerous. I think I'm going to have to cave in and buy an annual train ticket and book my driving exam for the first day I'm able to take one (by law I have to wait 6 months now). 6 months on a provisional and the guards on that road, it ain't worth it. Just wanted to throw that idea out there and see was it insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Wouldn't fancy spending over an hour a day on a scooter in this weather.

Have you googled car pooling? You might get hooked up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

In retrospect you might also get hooked up in in some guy's basement so don't blame me if you end up buried in a shallow grave on the side of Mount Leinster OK.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    In retrospect you might also get hooked up in in some guy's basement so don't blame me if you end up buried in a shallow grave on the side of Mount Leinster OK.

Actually something similar did happen to me before. Only a bit of quick thinking and calmness got me out with my gary untouched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

This thread has turned a bit morbid :eek:, have you considered a motorbike instead of a scooter, in this instance it might offer more protection. Is there anyone else from Kilkenny moving from work who might be able to give you a lift?

The really only options are
    Bus
    Rail
    Scooter/Motorbike
    Lift

Maybe you might be able to combine all.

I would offer you a lift but i currently only work a 3 day week and i had a job interview today for a job the other side of Kilkenny so i may not even be driving that route soon anyway!

Advertisement