Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Player Games

• 12-11-2009 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I like single player games. I have no interest in games that involve other people, whether they are with me or against me, physically in the room or on the internet.

Is the games industry passing me by, or are there still decent games being made with people like me in mind?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I like single player games. I have no interest in games that involve other people, whether they are with me or against me, physically in the room or on the internet.

Is the games industry passing me by, or are there still decent games being made with people like me in mind?

I'm the same, I rarely play the multiplayer in games. I loved gears of war single player missions, a bit short, but good fun. I played the multilayer in them for about 1 hour.

Uncharted 2 on playstation seems to have the right idea. A great single player experience, and multiplayer if you are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Add Batman: Arkham Asylum to the list also. Fantastic SP game.

Otacon wrote: »
    Add Batman: Arkham Asylum to the list also. Fantastic SP game.

Yea good idea, lets all add games that have great single player, also +1 for Barman... next up Dead Space, fantastic single player experience, i shat myself many a time playing that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I like a bit of both.
    The thing about multiplayer games is the gamble of who you get landed with in online matches. I have no problem with people's skill levels, its the level of human decency that is always a gamble.

More on point, with games games like Arkham Asylum, Tomb Raider, Bioshock etc the industry isn't passing you by. Its just multiplayer is so hot right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Gears.
    Ninja Gaiden.
    Mass Effect? - RPGs are the ultimate SP like!

off the top of my head.

forza? plenty in the career mode/tuning/designing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Some games add on MP as it is the done thing [Stranglehold] but others add it in as it adds value to the game [Uncharted 2].

IMO the SP experience will always mean more. Haven't touched MW2 online yet, still playing the SP missions on Vet... or trying to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

they are becoming scarcer alright - I am the same although going to try get into online stuff - played a Modern Warfare game with some boardsies last year though was good!

but I still prefer the single player epic game. you just can't get the same immersion with online I think. love offline multiplayer tho - Fifa and bomberman - great craic.

still tho there are a fair few single player games that are pretty damn good - bioshock and I'm just about to get into mass effect though not much of an rpg fan so will see how I fare.

I know what you mean though, really grinds my gears when a QUALITY game comes out like COD4 and MW2 and the single campaign while quite brilliant is shortened because the multiplayer is what essentially sells the game. bah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Two games that I'd recommend are Bioshock and Batman Arkham Asylum ... both are excellent, atmospheric games.

its amazing how big multiplayer is after getting with this generation of consoles, its no bad thing. Games like left 4 dead are being released to only be played with others. I do like 2 player split screen co-op in games tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Assasin's Creed 2 will be out in a couple of weeks, single player only game ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Im kinda the same, I like single player games and LOVE co-op centric games. Competitive gets boring fast for me, everyone takes it too seriously for it to be enjoyable.

Developers are focusing more on the MP side as it adds more longevity to the game, so more chance of DLC like map packs doing well, the games name being out there for a potetnial sequel or people picking it up after release to play with friends and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Two games that I'd recommend are Bioshock and Batman Arkham Asylum ... both are excellent, atmospheric games.

Add Dead Space, Mass Effect and Oblivion to that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm the same, single player games all the way. Most devs now are taking the easy way out, slap a short little single player game together and focus on mulitplayer. Look what happened the Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Halo, Gears of War and CoD games. They have all mostly given up on the single player side of things.

Thankfully we have the likes of Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bio Shock, Dead Space, Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Assassins Creed for decent single player experiences oh and Splinter Cell but I see that going all MP in due course. Sure Bioshock 2 has been delayed mainly because of the online side of things!

Multiplayer games just don't do it for me at all. Mainly because I can't get a decent, reliable, fast broadband connection and then have to contend with the dregs of the online gaming community with screaming 12yr olds and idiots who like to sing.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I think developers add multiplayer to a game, so that people will be reluctant to trade the game in and it can add an extra revenue stream with map packs and what not.

I love a good single player more than anything though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Dead Space, Bioshock, Orange Box and Uncharted 1&2 (on the PS3) all have excellent SP campaigns that will keep you busy for hours and hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Same here. Not a big fan of online multiplayer. Sometimes play co-op with a few friends but it's hard enough to find the time. But that said there are loads of games that are great to play even if they supposedly 'shine' in the online gameplay.

Here's a few:

Bioshock,
    Batman Arkham Asylum,
    Skate,
    Skate 2,
    Crackdown,
    Gears of War,
    Forza 2,
    Dead Space,
    Guitar Hero,
    Rock Band,
    Civilization Revolution,
    BORDERLANDS!!!!!!! Woohoo LOOK AT ME****!!!!*****
    Fallout 3,
    Oblivion,
    Assassin's Creed,
    Call of Duty 4,
    Call of Duty 4 part II (OK, both of these are really short, but great fun),
    Earth Defence Force 2017,
    Burnout Paradise,
    PGR 3/4,
    Pure,
    Fuel,
    GRID,
    Dead Rising,
    Beautiful Katamari,
    The Orange Box.

That should keep you going for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I'll add Brutal Legend to this list. It has an mp mode but it's all about the sp really. Very funny game and you'll enjoy it even more if you're into metal.

Also Monkey Island special edition (on XBL Arcade) is a great remake of a brilliant classic adventure game.

And if you like brutal legend, then you can get the great pyschonauts (the companys previous game) in the xbox classics section of marketplace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Battlestations Midway and Pacific

Great if you like strategy games but plently of action too

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I'll add Brutal Legend to this list. It has an mp mode but it's all about the sp really. Very funny game and you'll enjoy it even more if you're into metal.

Also Monkey Island special edition (on XBL Arcade) is a great remake of a brilliant classic adventure game.

And if you like brutal legend, then you can get the great pyschonauts (the companys previous game) in the xbox classics section of marketplace

Three great games well worth picking up.

Advertisement