Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa Strike Force: Maynooth

• 12-11-2009 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

So it's that time of year again. I was thinking that we could do something for the SSF in NUIM, but didn't get quite as a far as coming up with an idea.

For anyone who doesn't know what the Santa Strike Force is, it's a boards.ie-involved charity that raises money for decent (i.e. not your old GameBoy Advance) presents for the kids who, for whatever reason, don't often show up on Santa's radar. It's a good cause. You've probably seen the threads on After Hours.

So I'm looking for ideas to raise cash. Get a license and go collecting? Put up signs with the account details in the banks? Is anyone up for a challenge for charity a-la Dr. Bollocko going bollocko naked in Eire Square?

I've one: If I can get 200e in pledges, I'll replace the hourly 'Bong' in the South Campus bell tower with 3 minutes of the Muslim call to prayer (you can just plug in your iPod).

Anyone else up for a challenge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

banquo wrote: »
    I've one: If I can get 200e in pledges, I'll replace the hourly 'Bong' in the South Campus bell tower with 3 minutes of the Muslim call to prayer (you can just plug in your iPod).

Anyone else up for a challenge?

That would be brilliant.

But would you get away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

you might get into trouble for some religious stuff but how about changing it for christmas bells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Generally people challenge each other rather than stating a challenge for themselves, I do like the bell idea but you could end up in trouble over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

You all have to pledge some cash firs!

I challenge our
    new moderator to do most of the full monty in arts block.., SOBER. *dramatic music*

But seriously, anyone up for a challenge?

Here's a topical one:

I challenge ALLANDANYWAYS to stand in the library and boot one hundred (100) people off facebook.

I pledge twenty (20) euro in the event of 100 hundred successful bootings. Anyone care to make any similar pledges? Anything over 5 euros is deadly.

simpsonsgood06.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Here's a topical one:

I challenge ALLANDANYWAYS to stand in the library and boot one hundred (100) people off facebook.

I pledge twenty (20) euro in the event of 100 hundred successful bootings. Anyone care to make any similar pledges? Anything over 5 euros is deadly.

simpsonsgood06.jpg

SRSLY?

Rob, I'm in final year, I can't dedicate my time to a life of solving facebook-abusing crime, as much as I would love to. But I will do my darndest to get facebook blocked on PACR pcs, although I don't think many will be sposoring me for that!:cool:

Not a life, just an hour a day for a week. That's just 20 an hour = 1 every three minutes. Should be easy enough actually. Think of the children :)

Mate sitting beside me matches the pledge, making it 40e.

PS: Challenges are supposed to suck :D

Here's a topical one:

simpsonsgood06.jpg

I pledge a fiver!

Srsly.

45 quid. That'll get a little boy or girl the cheapest kind of iPod.

In case it's a little girl, we should get enough for an iPod nano. Preferably in pink, but that's not my call. RRP e139. So we're roughly 33% there.

See this thread for the level of protest a Santa Strike Force challenge usually gets :D

I'll pledge a tenner :)

• Advertisement

Hey, at least it's also encouragement to get a load of us into the library!

55!

You're a generous person Lolth :)

Edit: As, of course, is our dear boardsie AllAndAnyways for even considering such a noble gesture :)

Holy crap we are thread of the day.

/looks busy

Upping mine to a tenner if she does it carrying a clipboard and wearing a trilby....

I had to Google what a trilby was.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Podginho

I'm looking to sell a trilby :)

Sell?! SELL?! Donate you mean. This here is charity! I've a pinstripe trilby to donate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

10 squidlies.

Danke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I have no money to give but if it makes it any easier for you Allandanyways I'll happily be one of the people you can kick off, just to make up numbers like :P

any chance one of you could take a pic of the persons reaction as you boot them off the PC? :)

Well tbh a few of us might need to have her back in case people go mental, which is why the clipboard and hat would be funny, kinda to show she's not just a nark trying to steal all the pc time :p

So how long do I have to do this? IF i do it.

As long as it takes! You can have the library and the PACRs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Me and Banquo got your back no problem.

South Campus style. :cool:

Am I the only one doing a challenge? So not fair.

Other challenges for other people please!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Challenge me to do anything!*

*Within reason...

Whoever is up for the challenge (and handy with the oul camera) I challenge thee to get a picture with 10 (over) active members of this board.

Actually that's quite good.

• Advertisement

Oooh, I'll do that easily hahah

Edit: Would people pledge per photo?

Advertisement