Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping trips to Northern Ireland

Options
  • 12-11-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this should be in a different section (feel free to move it!) but I'm just wondering if anyone knows of companies running trips by coach up to the North for Christmas shopping? I've seen ones advertised from Dublin up but not from Cork.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

from Cork to the North by coach?? not sure if any coach operator would feel it's worth his/her time to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

maybe check aer arran, you mite get cheap day return flight to belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Hi,

Not sure if this should be in a different section (feel free to move it!) but I'm just wondering if anyone knows of companies running trips by coach up to the North for Christmas shopping? I've seen ones advertised from Dublin up but not from Cork.

Thanks!

You'd be better off driving yourself or flying like the other poster suggested.

You could also get the train to Dublin and then on to Belfast either, it's quite fast and would be WAY more comfortable than sitting on a bus.

I reckon flying would be the way to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

I dont think I would fly from Cork - wouldnt it cost a lot to fly stuff back?

Take a day off work (forget about weekends - will be mobbed!!) borrow / rent a big van and hit the road at 5/6AM with a friend who wants to take the trip too. Fill it to the roof and get everything you need in 1 trip...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Like waffleman I'd just drive up. My uncle said he did the trip down about 2 weeks ago in 3.25 hours so its not that bad; you'd probably spend the same amount of time even if you flew by the time you check in, board the plane, fly up, get off the plane, queue to get out etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Seeka

I wouldn't be bothered with the flyin or coach trip, head away up yourself if you can, no pressure then for the day and as it's been said do it mid week. It's a great idea to head up, a lot of savings to be made up there:)

JohnK wrote: »
    Like waffleman I'd just drive up. My uncle said he did the trip down about 2 weeks ago in 3.25 hours so its not that bad; you'd probably spend the same amount of time even if you flew by the time you check in, board the plane, fly up, get off the plane, queue to get out etc.

Agreed! Asda in Newry seems to be the place to go - outside of Belfast so not much traffic and has a great selection at the cheapest prices around:

- ps3s, wiis at low prices
    - booz offers (3 bottles wine for 10 quid sterling)

take a look here for the cheapest ideas: http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=asda

the 3 litre box of chardonnay for 6 quid caught my eye anyway!! :D

1 more thing - dont use your credit card (visa / mastercard have their own fantasy exchange rates for credit cards - RIP OFF!!) take your bank card or buy sterling in the bank before you go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

would it even be worth the petrol to drive up? you'd have to fill the whole car i'd say, and maybe a little trailer too before its worth going

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Dankoozy wrote: »
    would it even be worth the petrol to drive up? you'd have to fill the whole car i'd say, and maybe a little trailer too before its worth going
    Buy the petrol up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Esse85 wrote: »
    Buy the petrol up there too.

it's about £1.10 a litre for petrol in the north so you're not saving anything, in fact you would be losing it bythe tim ethe bank robs you on the exchange rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

There was an ad in the Cork independent today for some bus company going up on the 26th of november. Think he is charging €50 but im afraid i dont have the number

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

Here's an idea for you: how about saving yourself the hassle and shop here instead. You would be supporting your own local economy rather than throwing away your euros away to monarchy that's in a far better position than us.

Just a thought, like. :rolleyes:

Here's an idea for you: how about saving yourself the hassle and shop here instead. You would be supporting your own local economy rather than throwing away your euros away to monarchy that's in a far better position than us.

Just a thought, like. :rolleyes:

I am by no means a supporter of the monarchy BUT there was no word of this when people were coming to the republic to fill up on cheap petrol / diesel / holiday homes before sterling got weak. We have no-one to blame but ourselves for our inflated cost of living - now we are paying for it. People will buy cheap if they can - all this patriotism shopping stuff is guff being spouted by the government - a bit of "patriotism" by them in the last 15 years and people wouldnt be going to the north to shop but thats a whole different debate i suppose.

Edit: Our local senator was recently spotted in the north getting a new set of car tyres even though she pulled 200keuro+ in salary last year (including expenses). There's how much our governemt values the local economy. why should we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

waffleman wrote: »

Edit: Our local senator was recently spotted in the north getting a new set of car tyres even though she pulled 200keuro+ in salary last year (including expenses). There's how much our governemt values the local economy. why should we?

Spot on. It's makes me furious to have to listen to these FF crooks preaching to us. What's worse is we have the thickest, inept and sly FF politicians in the country. Is it a punishment for having the best county, just to show even we aren't perfect ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paulam10

i can understand what people are saying about spending money in the south but why would we when everything is so cheap up there. i was looking at a tv in argos for 400euro. went onto argos.co.uk website. the same tv is 250gbp. even with the exchange rate that's some difference. which is why i'll stay going up to do my shopping!!!

Advertisement