Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to gardening

Options
  • 12-11-2009 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

lads/Ladies...

Extremely new to the old gardening thing....

A couple of questions really... As ive just moved into my first house the garden is the main thing im excited about...basically its a brand new house so grass is growing in garden (slowly) and it seemed to bit quite patchy so i bought a bag of soil and some seed and spead it at the weekend...Ive noticed that in certain areas with all the rain im sinking about 2 inches into the mud...

I did look at getting the whole thing turfed but i got a quote of 950 euro and at the minute i just dont have it so will have to stick with the seeding...

so a couple of questions really i seem to be growing a substancial amount of weeds. Should i wait till grass seems to be fully developed before spraying weed killer? or is it best to act now and dig the buggers up..(i tried this for a couple of them the other morning i ended up digging about 6inches down into the ground to pull up a huge root almost the beginings of a tree by the looks of it!)

Also i am really needing a shed for all my tools etc and i want to know it'll prob just be a cheap job from b&q but is it ok to simply plonk it onto the ground or do i need to put foundations in?

Thanks for listening and i look forward to your replies?

Mat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

matt
    congrats on the new purchase
    i wouldn't worry to much about the mud thing when the grass thickens up and forms a proper root structure this will help to firm up the ground so no worries there.

the patchy nature of the grass, there is not a whole lot you can do with that at this time of the year as any new grass seed spread will be very slow to grow if at all, so best leaving that till the spring apiril/may when the ground temperature rises.

the weeds will die off themselves now that the weather is getting colder and iam not to sure if spraying at this time of the year will do any good i would think that with all the moisture around the weeds would be slow to absorb the poison again best leaving this till the spring and wait for the weeds to mature abit before spraying that way you would get any late starters aswell.

for the shed i would recomend putting it close to the house somewhere so as you woun't have to walk through wet grass and make a muddy path every time you go into the shed, and turning up in the house with muddy boots and destroying her nice clean floor then you will know about it. i would recommend putting your shed up on a few concrete blocks(this will allow airflow under the shed and help keep the floor dry and wouldn't rot as fast) just one block high 4" just make sure that you put enough of them down to support the floor roughly every 4' (check the floor of your shed to see how far apart the supports/joists are) should be suffient don't forget to support the centre of the floor with a few blocks aswell and use some light pieces of timber to pack on top of the blocks to create a level support for your shed. once the floor is down good and level and well supported the rest of your shed will go to gether no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mat9486

Colm,

thanks very much for getting back to me...was wondering whether anyone would ever answer me!

Will follows advice and just leave the bloosy thing alone till march april time!

Cheers

Advertisement