Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proof the Celtic Tiger Is Over?

• 12-11-2009 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Got this photo today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nah some people just get there first (or Cork Porsche owners are stingy :-) )

Registration 06C911
    Make VOLKSWAGEN
    Model TRANSPORTER
    Description VAN LWB 3000 96KW TDI 6SP
    Fuel Type DIESEL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I was behind 09-KE-1 yesterday. Must still be some money in the coach business.

Kavanagh's coaches I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

R.O.R wrote: »

They've been doing that for donkeys years. KK reg's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

And 09-D-911 is on a Volvo truck! first time in over 20 years I think.

But it's nothing to do with the celtic tiger being over, it's to do with the revenue raising the price of personal reg plates from €315 to €1000 - they lost a fortune!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

steve06 wrote: »
    But it's nothing to do with the celtic tiger being over, it's to do with the revenue raising the price of personal reg plates from €315 to €1000 - they lost a fortune!
    I always assumed that The RC withheld 'desireable' numbers to sell at the greater price. Presumable they would still have held onto '911' in case of a sale, after all it would cost them nothing to do so?

Therefore, I would find it difficult to believe that the van owner paid €1,000 for it? :confused:

With the rise to €1,000, they really did kill the goose that laid the golden eggs! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I though they only hold the numbers 1-700 for selling, the rest are just issued in order. If they were holding back 911 i cant see a van paying extra for that plate, i say he just got issued it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

people who pay for "personalised' plates in Ireland and feel the need to tell others they are driving a saab 93 or porsche 911 or Audi A4 or whatever are just...sad

:rolleyes:

wouldnt mind if we could get PROPER frigging plates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Senna wrote: »
    I though they only hold the numbers 1-700 for selling, the rest are just issued in order. If they were holding back 911 i cant see a van paying extra for that plate, i say he just got issued it.

They are issued in order, so the van was just the 911'th registered vehicle in Cork. They don't hold any back specifically for selling.

You can reserve a plate, as 911 has been in Dublin for over 20 years. You can reserve any plate you wish for €1000.

If you reserve a plate from 1-1000 you can register your car and use the plate from the 1st of Jan.

If you reserve a plate over number 1000 you have to wait until your turn comes.

If you reserve 1234 you have to wait until 1233 is registered.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

A couple of years ago the brother bought a 1996 car and rang up about getting a personalised plate, they gave him a choice of a few number all under 700.
    I'm nearly sure they do keep some back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

people who pay for "personalised' plates in Ireland and feel the need to tell others they are driving a saab 93 or porsche 911 or Audi A4 or whatever are just...sad

:rolleyes:

wouldnt mind if we could get PROPER frigging plates

not a driver of any of those but stil.. why are they sad if that makes them 'happy'?

also what dignifies a proper plate apart from the fact it states at least one piece of info important.
    The year of registration (clearly identified). An important thing. Go to uk.. what does a 'D' reg mean? :rolleyes:
    Where it was reg'd (easier on tax office though not as important)
    I won't mention the reg number as this is too controvesrsial

I think our reg system is as you say, 'PROPER' give the fact any idiot can read it and use it as info to the usership of the vehicle.. well maybe not some idiots.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Whats the deal with 07d911 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Got this photo today.

Isn't that proof that the recession is over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

R.O.R wrote: »

Thats weird i was also behind a kavanaghs coach yesterday

09-TS-1.

Was thinking the exact same thing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

tin79 wrote: »

09-TS-1.

lol I was behind 09 CW 1 yesterday, also a Kavanagh's coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

tin79 wrote: »

09-TS-1.

Absurdum wrote: »
    lol I was behind 09 CW 1 yesterday, also a Kavanagh's coach

They do that with all their buses. 09KK1 is a kavanaghs coach also

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nedoo

Always thought they got our number plates backwards. You naturally read from left to right, if a black Volvo goes flying by and you need to take the reg you would get, 09-D- and the rest is hard to get at speed. How many black Volvos with 09 plates are there. If you put the number first, say 1234, and saw it was a black Volvo, the chances of the cops iding the plate are greater as the amount of black Volvos with that number, no matter what the year is a lot less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

nedoo wrote: »
    Always thought they got our number plates backwards. You naturally read from left to right, if a black Volvo goes flying by and you need to take the reg you would get, 09-D- and the rest is hard to get at speed. How many black Volvos with 09 plates are there. If you put the number first, say 1234, and saw it was a black Volvo, the chances of the cops iding the plate are greater as the amount of black Volvos with that number, no matter what the year is a lot less.

Waaaaat?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Riiight...that sounds silly

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nedoo

EPM wrote: »
    Riiight...that sounds silly

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Why?

If you can't get the digits when they are on the right, moving them to the left isn't going to a blind bit of difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

jhegarty wrote: »
    Whats the deal with 07d911 ?
    I think the story with that is, owner bought a UK Porsche 911, then changed it over to the above reg, so that might be causing the problems with it not showing up on reports. He had the porsche on english plates for a few months before he changed it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

hasnt been taxed since july.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

With the rise to €1,000, they really did kill the goose that laid the golden eggs! :(
    That €1000 contributed more to the goose's death than any recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

They can do that in the next century to avoid duplicate regs' in case there are any present day Volvo's still running.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Since according to Cartell 09D911 is a volvo lorry they mustn't see that number as worthy of holding back anymore. (08D911 is a Porsche). Strange as someone importing an '09 911 in two or three years time may have wanted it and have been prepared to pay as well. Since 09D999 isn't allocated, it is reasonable to assume that they are still holding back some numbers unless of course someone paid for it and their circumstances have changed or they will use it at some stage in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Why would they bother i wonder. Its a conspiracy!

I wonder who has time to go onto mywheels.ie and see how many counties with their reg 09-xx-1 are showing as Setra S416`s? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i remember checking 09 c 911 a few weeks back and finding out it was on a transit,earlier that day i had seen 08 c 911, which is a porsche:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The revenue only hold back the first 100 numbers from each county. Anything else is first come first serve unless purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

bladebrew wrote: »
    i remember checking 09 c 911 a few weeks back and finding out it was on a transit,earlier that day i had seen 08 c 911, which is a porsche:)
    see first post for photo of transit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

EPM wrote: »
    If you can't get the digits when they are on the right, moving them to the left isn't going to a blind bit of difference

What he said is true, at least in the movie world. Whenever you see a scene where someone gets a partial (incomplete number plate, in movie-speak:pac:) it's always the first few numbers or digits.

And I can see his logic, most people will read something from left to right. By the time someone has stored 09 TS into their memory banks, the car may be too far away to get the 123456.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

lots of 09s about, things must be picking up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

bladebrew wrote: »

Yup the chap that owns/manages Smiths on the greenhills rd owns that porsche. Its a red one and its lovely looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

How many black Volvos with 09 plates are there.

probably 3 or 4 :D

Advertisement