Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent relief - landlord won't give PPS or Address

Options
  • 12-11-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I'm trying to claim rent relief but my landlord won't disclose his PPS number or address. All I have is his bank account details.

It's now pretty obvious he's dodging tax.

Where do I go from here?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can apply with out his pps if you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Moonbeam is right.I did this before without having his PPS number and I got my rent relief. Im not sure if the Revenue actually chase up landlords who refuse to provide PPS numbers- anyone know what happens in these cases ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Revenue will store all this information and use it at a later date.
    Non-compliance from landlords is the next Ansbacher case, hundreds of millions to be declared here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

mikemac wrote: »
    The Revenue will store all this information and use it at a later date.
    Non-compliance from landlords is the next Ansbacher case, hundreds of millions to be declared here

While I agree there is a lot of money to pursue it is personal evasion rather than bank assisted fraud. You would think it would be worth while hiring contract staff to pursue/process evidence of fraud.

It is very annoying knowing you pay your taxes and are in competition with somebody who is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it registered with the PRTB? Did you fill in the PRTB form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

If you're using ROS, just put in the house address as the landlords address. You don't need the PPS. I was able to claim rent relief that way for a place I was living in 2 years ago and I hadn't got the landlords PPS or home address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Kipperhell wrote: »
    While I agree there is a lot of money to pursue it is personal evasion rather than bank assisted fraud. You would think it would be worth while hiring contract staff to pursue/process evidence of fraud.

It is very annoying knowing you pay your taxes and are in competition with somebody who is not.

The Revenue are very efficent at what they do.
    Besides, you issue big threats, declare an amnesty deadline and sit back and watch the money roll in :D
    Only then, does the investigative work begin

Sorry for going offtopic OP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can apply for, and receive, your rental credits without details from your landlord. Revenue aren't going to penalise you for your landlord's errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Hi all,

I'm trying to claim rent relief but my landlord won't disclose his PPS number or address. All I have is his bank account details.

It's now pretty obvious he's dodging tax.

Where do I go from here?

Furthermore if he's not registered with the PTRB he cannot claim interest relief from the rental income (that's if he has a mortgage registered against the property). There could be a second tax issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 blackaardvark

KerranJast wrote: »
    If you're using ROS, just put in the house address as the landlords address. You don't need the PPS. I was able to claim rent relief that way for a place I was living in 2 years ago and I hadn't got the landlords PPS or home address.

This looks like the best route at the moment. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement