Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer electives

Options
  • 12-11-2009 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Ok I mentioned a while back that I'm not fond of taking summers off, and as odd as that may sound to people, what I would really love to do is set up an elective of some kind to get some exposure to medicine over the summer months next year (and I'm perfectly aware that the most I could expect to do is maybe observe someone - but even that would be great).

I am currently 1st year GEM in UL, and would welcome any contact from someone who has advice in setting this sorta thing up or who maybe has any contacts.

I just really feel like we're doing so many different things that I will need to keep a structured, and constructively educational summer to keep on top of it all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

chanste wrote: »
    Ok I mentioned a while back that I'm not fond of taking summers off, and as odd as that may sound to people, what I would really love to do is set up an elective of some kind to get some exposure to medicine over the summer months next year (and I'm perfectly aware that the most I could expect to do is maybe observe someone - but even that would be great).

I am currently 1st year GEM in UL, and would welcome any contact from someone who has advice in setting this sorta thing up or who maybe has any contacts.

I just really feel like we're doing so many different things that I will need to keep a structured, and constructively educational summer to keep on top of it all.

contact your GP, most of them would help out, otherwise call up a private hospital, they are more open about it than government ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Echani

chanste wrote: »

There's not a whole lot you can do after 1st year other than shadowing a doctor or some sort of observership with a team. Doing research is a pretty good idea if you can arrange it early, and that can be done at pretty much any stage as far as I'm aware.

I didn't really do anything academic during my 1st year summer; after 2nd year I studied for the USMLE Step 1 for half of it, then did an observership while doing some research for the consultant. I arranged this through one of my tutors from second year - they're great contacts that are often overlooked for this sort of thing. I shot him an email expressing my interest in Feb/March, then got in touch with the consultant directly to arrange dates. It was all a bit spontaneous, but I got quite a bit of experience and a research project out of it (that's still waiting to be written up...).

I don't think you need to do anything after 1st year. Remember that you might want to sit the USMLE or do some research next year, and that you'll more than likely spend your last summer before graduating doing proper electives... so weigh up whether you really want to keep working through summer or to have a decent holiday.

Advertisement