Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fahey to meet EU officials to find agreement on outer bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 christg

Has anyone seen the route of the bridge across the Corrib ? It crosses then follows the bank of the Corrib for a kilometer before it heads west again (it skirts around Glenloe Abbey). This is a massive bridge. What is needed is to get people from Knocknacarra (where they live) to Briarhill (where they work). Surely there is a public transit answer for the two times a day that everyone from work is shifting. Followed by a public transit solution for the school runs.

If you really wanted a bypass, it should be between Headford and Moycullen. Imagine a road from Atlone, Athenry, Tuam, Headford, Moycullen ? It would really cut down the time from Dublin to Connamarra.

I think that the reason that there is so much interest from some in Government - is that all of Barna will become readily accessable (picture the land around the golf course). Some one will become very rich if that area was openned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

christg wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the route of the bridge across the Corrib ? It crosses then follows the bank of the Corrib for a kilometer before it heads west again (it skirts around Glenloe Abbey). This is a massive bridge. What is needed is to get people from Knocknacarra (where they live) to Briarhill (where they work). Surely there is a public transit answer for the two times a day that everyone from work is shifting. Followed by a public transit solution for the school runs.

If you really wanted a bypass, it should be between Headford and Moycullen. Imagine a road from Atlone, Athenry, Tuam, Headford, Moycullen ? It would really cut down the time from Dublin to Connamarra.

I think that the reason that there is so much interest from some in Government - is that all of Barna will become readily accessable (picture the land around the golf course). Some one will become very rich if that area was openned.

...in other words, anywhere but near Menlo?

And where are you based? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Coolio

imo a bypass is necessary before anything else happens. I'm all for cycle lanes and bus lanes and I cycle to work 3 days a week. If the council tried to mess with the roads around the city as they stand now there would be chaos. Look at what happened when they messed with the moneenageisha roundabout!

Are they even capable of doing anything and not f**k it all up? They have completely disregarded the needs of commuters around the city up until now. I recall last year hearing that a private ad company was offering to install bus shelters around the city for free and were rejected?! There is no reliable bus service running in the city. As long as bus eireann is running it, the service will be run to suit themselves and the drivers.

In conclusion...
    1. Build bypass NOW
    2. Dump Bus Eireann and allow Minister Dempsey to set up his trial of new transport initiative and get Galway politicians to keep their snouts out of the trough.
    3. Re-instate Moneenageisha roundabout and stick those smart lights up their...
    4. Maybe next time before the council approves an estate or business park they might think of how people can access it and have this sorted before it's built not after (if ever!!)
    5. Teach the great Galway public how to use our many beautiful roundabouts!

Sorted, eh?! Vote me for President ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I think the many roundabouts are a huge part of the problem. They're not as effecient at peak times as traffic lights, people in Galway don't know how to use them properly and they're not very cyclist/pedestrian friendly.

In my opinion, the Moneenageisha junction could be a lot better than the roundabout that was there. Firstly, Galway drivers are far too laid back - they're way too slow pulling off when they get green. Secondly, I think there are too many right turn movements allowed through the junction. I think they should ban right turns into the G Hotel from the Dublin Rd, ban right turns from Dublin Rd onto the Monivea Rd and ban right turns from Cemetary Cross side onto Lough Atalia. Then you can have 2 lanes from Dublin Rd going straight through to Cemetary Cross. Anyone coming from Dublin Rd wishing to access the G Hotel or Monivea Rd can go to the roundabout at Cemetary Cross and double back. Anyone coming from Cemetary Cross wishing to get to Lough Atalia should not even come down to this junction and instead go via Bohermore. By eliminating these right turns we could have Cemetary Cross and Dublin Rd on a longer green sequence at the same time. Could also increase the lengths of sequences for both other roads through the junction.

At night the sequences need to be a lot shorter/change more quickly.

The bus lane outbound on the Dublin Road should not start until after the entrance to Wellpark.

As there is 2 right turning lanes from Lough Atalia onto the Dublin Rd I don't understand why buses use the right hand lane to turn right instead of the left one. It causes unnecessary lane changing when they try to get into the bus lane after the junction. If they turned right using the left hand lane then they would end up in the bus lane without having to change lanes.

By the way, I think they are going to be widening the approach to the junction from the Monivea Rd side to provide extra lanes approaching the junction.

Forgot to say, just compare the Moneenageisha junction to the Quincentennial Bridge/Newcastle Road junction. They're quite similar in terms of roads going through each junction, the big difference is the the Quin Bridge/Newcastle Rd junction has no right turns allowed. It's a very effecient junction, way better than a roundabout. Can't ban all right turns at Moneenageisha but can ban what I outlined in the post above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

KevR wrote: »
    I think the many roundabouts are a huge part of the problem. They're not as effecient at peak times as traffic lights, people in Galway don't know how to use them properly and they're not very cyclist/pedestrian friendly.

I disagree about roundabouts being the problem, I think there's very poor driver education/behaviour in this country.
    1. You're not supposed to enter a roundabout until the way is clear to exit:
      Look forward before moving on to make sure that traffic in front of you on the roundabout has moved off. This means that you will be able to move on to the roundabout without blocking any traffic coming from your right.
    2. There are untold thousands of people holding a full driving license that NEVER PASSED A TEST. Due to the backlogs in the late 70s/early 80s there was a scheme where they gave licenses to people that hadn't passed a test (don't know if they had to be on second provisional)
    3. Testing - once you have your license you're never re-tested, so we assume that people don't get sloppy, careless and everything else that comes with complacency
    If people would use the roads properly roundabouts wouldn't be an issue.

As for the use of traffic lights i disagree completely. Look at the lights at the town hall - they were off for a few months one year when i was in college (can't remember which one,think it was 2000/2001) and the traffic never moved better through this area. Turn them back on (I believe mainly for pedestrian access, granted this is important too) instant gridlock and mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Part of the problem with the roundabouts is that they're all over capacity. Although I do do my best to obey the rules of the road at all times (including daft speed limits), the only way to get out of some of those roundabouts is to make a run into a ridiculously small gap, otherwise you just wont be able to get out at all.

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to grade seperate all the way from the current N18 roundabout at Oranmore to Bishop O Donnell road. Some hefty CPOs and a big viaduct are needed so it wont happen, but it is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Just read in the Advertiser today that Frank Fahey has started an online petition to get support behind the development of the Galway City Outer Bypass. Would be great if everyone could sign it.

It's more than just a road. The bypass will decrease congestion and allow Galway to become a more manageable city to live, work and shop in. It will slash journey times across the city - for example, Barna village to the airport will be cut from 45 minutes to just 10 minutes.

After ten years of planning, we've had enough waiting. Now is the time we need to rally around the building of the Galway City Outer Bypass - just add your name to the petition here:

http://www.fiannafail.ie/galwaybypass

Thanks.

Signed!

Don't suppose you know where the list of signatures can be viewed? A bit annoying the way they ask you to donate after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

churchview wrote: »
    O'Brolchain, having been rejected by the electorate for a Dail seat and then thrown out of the City Council by the electorate has now been nominated to the Senate!
    Senator O'Brolcháin had the misfortune to hitch his horse to the wrong wagon, electorally speaking. In the last local elections he was the only politician who called around in person to my door, the rest sent around the party faithful.

He explained his objections to the Galway bypass as laid out by Frank Fahy to me as follows: it follows a 22km route where an 8km route would do the job, which will have obvious repercussions for property values in the area, and the planning process was shrouded in secrecy. Bog cotton had nothing to do with it.

I am very much in favour of the bypass, but we should all take a step back and look long and hard at the main proponents of the road and where their main investments lie. Its easier to do it right than wrong in this case.

• Advertisement

If we were to go back and plan a completely different 8km route now then we'll probably be another 10+ years waiting for anything to happen.

I don't really see how it could only be 8km anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

That petition is pure pre-election spin. Fahey is gearing up to try and safe his seat.

Just signed it, and used the feature which lets you upload contacts from your email account to send it on to others.

I never really had much time for Frank Fahey but I admire the way he's stepped up on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Signed!

Don't suppose you know where the list of signatures can be viewed? A bit annoying the way they ask you to donate after...

No sorry, just know what was in the advertiser about it.
    skelliser wrote: »
    That petition is pure pre-election spin. Fahey is gearing up to try and safe his seat.

Probably but if it helps in any way getting the ball rolling let him off.

I never really had much time for Frank Fahey but I admire the way he's stepped up on this one.
    He should have been run out of politics for his irresponsible comments on buying houses last year. I almost hope some young couple bought on the strength of his wisdom and find recourse for compensation for their ensuing negative equity.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Senator O'Brolcháin had the misfortune to hitch his horse to the wrong wagon, electorally speaking. In the last local elections he was the only politician who called around in person to my door, the rest sent around the party faithful.

I wish he had called to me. I would have loved to have debated a number of matters with him :D
    He explained his objections to the Galway bypass as laid out by Frank Fahy to me as follows: it follows a 22km route where an 8km route would do the job, which will have obvious repercussions for property values in the area, and the planning process was shrouded in secrecy. Bog cotton had nothing to do with it.

How could 8km possibly be long enough? The route is freely available to be seen on many websites and surely 8km (5 miles) would be more likely to go through rather than around many residential areas?

As to the Planning Process being shrouded in secrecy? That's absolute nonsense. All planning applications have to follow clearly defined statutory procedures, which should be well known to O'Brolacháin's party leader, Gormless, the current Minister for the Environment. The "issues" surrounding the bypass and its planning have been vented in public ad nauseum.

If O'Brolacháin actually believed that there were some planning irregularities and that "bog cotton has nothing to do with it", would he not say so publicly? Or does he just make these promouncements door to door where those he's making them against can't challenge him?

the Galway bypass as laid out by Frank Fahy

It's not Frank's personal bypass. It hasn't been "laid out" by him.

He should have been run out of politics for his irresponsible comments on buying houses last year. I almost hope some young couple bought on the strength of his wisdom and find recourse for compensation for their ensuing negative equity.

Seperate issue. In the context of this bypass, Fahey's comments on housing are an irrelevance.

I wish he had called to me. I would have loved to have debated a number of matters with him :D
    And no doubt he would have been well able to discuss them with you.
    How could 8km possibly be long enough? The route is freely available to be seen on many websites and surely 8km (5 miles) would be more likely to go through rather than around many residential areas?
    As mentioned, I am relaying what O'Brolcháin said to me - there wasn't a mention of bog cotton at the time.
    As to the Planning Process being shrouded in secrecy? That's absolute nonsense.
    The problem lay in the exclusion of the media and press from important meetings I believe.
    If O'Brolacháin actually believed that there were some planning irregularities and that "bog cotton has nothing to do with it", would he not say so publicly? Or does he just make these promouncements door to door where those he's making them against can't challenge him?
    Hold on a minute, you'd swear it was only O'Brolcháin that was opposed to it. Before the last locals, the following were on record as being against the bypass as laid out:
    Labour Party Councillors Collette Connolly, Billy Cameron, and Tom Costello; former Labour Councillor Catherine Connolly and Daniel Callanan.
    It's not Frank's personal bypass. It hasn't been "laid out" by him.
    He's doing his level best to make it his own. Look at this lovely bit of spin:
    The people of Galway should make the upcoming local elections a referendum on the Galway City Outer Bypass, according to Galway West Fianna Fáil TD and Chairman of the Oireachtas Transport Committee, Frank Fahey.
    Tell us, is Frank still holding down the teacher's job and pension?

Seperate issue. In the context of this bypass, Fahey's comments on housing are an irrelevance.
    The concerns some people have are directly related to his very well known penchant for housing investment.

Amhran Nua,

Can you take the politics off to politics.ie or the politics section of boards?

I couldn't care less if Fahey, Haughey's ghost or Genghis Khan is supporting this. It needs to be built.

• Advertisement

O'Brolchain, having been rejected by the electorate for a Dail seat and then thrown out of the City Council by the electorate has now been nominated to the Senate!
    Hmm...

It needs to be built.

^ This is all that matters at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Amhran Nua,

Can you take the politics off to politics.ie or the politics section of boards?

I couldn't care less if Fahey, Haughey's ghost or Genghis Khan is supporting this. It needs to be built.

But you should care - it was attitudes such as that, that led Ireland down the disastrous path it has gone by believing politicans are doing things for the good of others when in fact it was to benefit them and their cronies.
    The resulting awful planning and development disasters should be avoided in future and all processes such as the outer bypass be transparent in that any politician who is pushing an agenda should state if they have any alterior motives. The planned route may or may not be the best one for Galway, but it may be the best for opening up development potential for certain individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

Bypass 1st

I'm tired to breathing the fumes from the cars idling on Seamus Quirk road as they wait to get across the city. :mad:

If Galway doesn't get the bypass now, I can't see it happening in later years. (If indeed the funding is there and waiting to be spent. Hopefully its not a piece a canny electioneering.)

The arguments against the bypass are unconvicing.

Gluas 2nd.
    Don't want more stinking buses. Electric public tranport is the future.

Both these options will provide many much needed jobs in the city if they get the go ahead.

^ This is all that matters at the end of the day.
    Corruption is a zero tolerance area for us, and the situation is a bit ripe, although I'd agree that the need for the bypass is overwhelming. The question to ask is, are the objections part of a political football game, or are they sufficiently genuine to warrant laying the blame for the objections and hence delays at the door of Frank Fahy?

Webbs wrote: »
    But you should care - it was attitudes such as that, that led Ireland down the disastrous path it has gone by believing politicans are doing things for the good of others when in fact it was to benefit them and their cronies.
    The resulting awful planning and development disasters should be avoided in future and all processes such as the outer bypass be transparent in that any politician who is pushing an agenda should state if they have any alterior motives.

The point with the bypass is that the process has been completely transparent. It's been aired in the Courts and extensively in the media. Objectively it stands on its own merits. The conspiracy theorists who claim Fahey is pushing this for alterior [sic] motives have yet to point to definitive evidence to support these theories.

That Fahey has invested in property doesn't of itself render the bypass as "awful planning" or a "development disaster". His having invested in property, or anyone's having invested in property, does not mean that he or such an investor should not be entitled to an opinion on the bypass. All politicians (or TDs at least) must declare their interest in property annually. But even if Fahey owned land which would benefit in some way, this doesn't weaken the case for the bypass.

Objectively, it's needed, whether Frank or anyone else owns land which will be affected. This road will clearly benefit Galway, and personalised attacks against those who are supporting it don't change that.

The question to ask is, are the objections part of a political football game, or are they sufficiently genuine to warrant laying the blame for the objections and hence delays at the door of Frank Fahy?

Genuine question; I'm not trying to score points. Can you explain what you mean by this? Whose objections and why would Fahey be blamed for the delays?

Genuine question; I'm not trying to score points. Can you explain what you mean by this? Whose objections and why would Fahey be blamed for the delays?
    I have already mentioned by name six councillors who have gone on record as being opposed to the bypass as laid out. They are publicly available and will probably respond to emails and phone calls. I'm sure they would be more than happy to explain their reasoning to you.

I have already mentioned by name six councillors who have gone on record as being opposed to the bypass as laid out. They are publicly available and will probably respond to emails and phone calls. I'm sure they would be more than happy to explain their reasoning to you.

I'm sure they would, but we're on boards and I'm asking here what you've written means. I told you - I'm not trying to score points of have some sort of internet argument. I'm just trying to understand what you're saying here - I don't understand the phraseology of what you've written. Forget about it if you don't want to explain.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Good old forty houses may be supporting for his own reasons, but that doesn't mean it's not need.

Lets get the approved part under way, we can worry about the barna side later.

As for the greens you got to admire how quick they were to adopt the jobs for the boys scheme and get their lads into the home for failed politicians, learning well from their masters.
    Maybe FF can offer them a junior ministry in exchange for dropping opposition they seem to like those.

Advertisement