Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fahey to meet EU officials to find agreement on outer bypass

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I have already mentioned by name six councillors who have gone on record as being opposed to the bypass as laid out. They are publicly available and will probably respond to emails and phone calls. I'm sure they would be more than happy to explain their reasoning to you.

I wouldn't be so sure. Certainly a few of those mentioned will just churn out stuff like "the bypass isn't necessary, we can solve traffic by" - "implementing an improved bus system", " building a light rail network", "creating more cycle lanes/encourage cycling".....etc.

I'm not against bus/cycle lanes or a light rail network but I definitely think we need to build the bypass first to take cars out of the city and make room for bus/cycle lanes and maybe even light rail a few years down the line. I don't think any of those other options will be very effective without the bypass and they certainly won't solve the traffic problems faced by Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Ahh, bloody serial objectors, that's what's really holding up the project, that is the problem that needs to be tackled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

churchview wrote: »
    I'm sure they would, but we're on boards and I'm asking here what you've written means.
    KevR wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. Certainly a few of those mentioned will just churn out stuff like "the bypass isn't necessary, we can solve traffic by" - "implementing an improved bus system", " building a light rail network", "creating more cycle lanes/encourage cycling".....etc.
    Lads, politicians don't bite. If you pick up the phone and call them to ask their opinion on issues, I'd be quite surprised if they didn't give you an answer. You may find that the answer isn't a legitimate reason to object, fair enough and let us know. Either way there's no reason not to find out. If they deny it I (and I'm sure they) would like to know why their names are plastered all over the Publican Party website.
    I told you - I'm not trying to score points of have some sort of internet argument. I'm just trying to understand what you're saying here - I don't understand the phraseology of what you've written. Forget about it if you don't want to explain.
    Who has objected, those councillors. The exact specifics of their objections, they would know best, no need for hearsay. If it turns out that its merely Fahy's support and his motives thereof for the bypass that has caused these objections, perhaps we should be looking at Frank Fahy for the reasons for the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    If it turns out that its merely Fahy's support and his motives thereof for the bypass that has caused these objections, perhaps we should be looking at Frank Fahy for the reasons for the delay.

Thanks. That's all I was asking. I just didn't understand what you were saying.

If any politicians are objecting purely because Fahey is supporting it, rather than because they have a problem with the bypass per se, then they're playing politics with people's lives. That would be pretty reprehensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

If any politicians are objecting purely because Fahey is supporting it, rather than because they have a problem with the bypass per se, then they're playing politics with people's lives. That would be pretty reprehensible.
    Indeed it would, although in fairness I think a close inspection of anything associated with a public figure who would make comments encouraging people to buy property last year would be well justified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Derek_N

No councillor has made legal objections to the bypass.

Legal action was taken by a Mr. Sweetman – an environmental campaigner, and Hand Across the Corrib, a group of residents from the area.

It is important to note that the objections were supported by other State agencies, namely The National Parks and Wildlife Service and the Department of the Environment, who claim that EU law has been contravened.

It is not politicians holding it up. It is bad planning.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0701/1224249837611.html

And I can't for the life of me see how a petition will help in any way...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Being cynical, I see this petition purely as a pre-election stunt by Fahey as well. See local FF cumann, observe how many citizens love me and will vote for me..

I like the fact that Fahey is publically pushing for the bypass. I won't be voting for him though (apart from his support of the bypass, he just doesn't cut it for me). And I won't be voting for anyone who is against the bypass.

I like the fact that Fahey is publically pushing for the bypass. I won't be voting for him though (apart from his support of the bypass, he just doesn't cut it for me).

Agree completely
    And I won't be voting for anyone who is against the bypass.

Again, I agree completely

Derek_N wrote: »
    No councillor has made legal objections to the bypass.

Legal action was taken by a Mr. Sweetman – an environmental campaigner, and Hand Across the Corrib, a group of residents from the area.

Sweetman is a serial objector. The oral hearing into Metro North just finished a few days ago. He's objected to this as well and attended many of the hearings.

Hands Across the Corrib appear to be your run of the mill NIMBY organisation.

The Planning process does appear to have been mishandled, but that doesn't mean that the project in and of itself is not of merit.

Derek_N wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me see how a petition will help in any way...

Unfortunately in Galway, we seem to be particularly afflicted with serial objectors. Those who oppose things seem to be the only ones who are exercised enough to make themselves heard. If a petition demonstrates that a large portion of the population supports this positive development, then maybe the naysayers will not (as is unfortunately all too common), be the only ones to be heard.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sweetman is a serial objector. The oral hearing into Metro North just finished a few days ago. He's objected to this as well and attended many of the hearings.

Sweetman is a complete waste of space. He should be dealt with like Denis Riordan was a few years back :(
    Hands Across the Corrib appear to be your run of the mill NIMBY organisation.

A BANANA organisation more than a simple NIMBY one but they won't cause any trouble about Kerry Slugs where Sweetman could object literally anywhere and any time
    The Planning process does appear to have been mishandled, but that doesn't mean that the project in and of itself is not of merit.

I don't think so, a lot of preparation went into it. It's just that there were a bewildering array of objectors dug in against it and that too many principles of planning came up for a parallel testing.
    Unfortunately in Galway, we seem to be particularly afflicted with serial objectors. Those who oppose things seem to be the only ones who are exercised enough to make themselves heard. If a petition demonstrates that a large portion of the population supports this positive development, then maybe the naysayers will not (as is unfortunately all too common), be the only ones to be heard.

Place is rotten with them. I must start serial objecting to serial objectors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I believe (open to correction) that he is also behind the objections to the development of McHale park in Castlebar, and have heard of several other projects that he has his nose stuck in.

But what i can't understand is why a group of environuts from Cork are backing him on this - they should have enough to do looking after the pharma companies in Ringeskiddy

What they should do about this is have a referendum of the people who live and work in Galway city & environs and ask US and NOBODY ELSE if a bypass should be built. If approved invite the environmental lobby to HELP BUILD a FULLY INTEGRATED TRANSPORT SYSTEM for galway - which is not possible without a bypass.

antoobrien wrote: »
    If approved invite the environmental lobby to HELP BUILD a FULLY INTEGRATED TRANSPORT SYSTEM for galway - which is not possible without a bypass.

What I really can't stand is the hypocrisy of those who won't acknowledge the truth of the statement you've just made. Proper cycling facilities, improved public transport, the GLUAS or "bendy buses" won't work in Galway unless the bypass is built. The environmental lobbyists haven't got the balls to acknowledge that sometimes development is needed to create and engineer a better environment.

What they should do about this is have a referendum of the people who live and work in Galway city & environs and ask US and NOBODY ELSE if a bypass should be built. If approved invite the environmental lobby to HELP BUILD a FULLY INTEGRATED TRANSPORT SYSTEM for galway - which is not possible without a bypass.

Agree fully. A handful of people (some of whom aren't from Galway and don't work here) holding up a project that the majority of Galway people want isn't very democratic. There should be a vote for Galway people and the outcome final.

s_carnage wrote: »
    Just read in the Advertiser today that Frank Fahey has started an online petition to get support behind the development of the Galway City Outer Bypass. Would be great if everyone could sign it.

It's more than just a road. The bypass will decrease congestion and allow Galway to become a more manageable city to live, work and shop in. It will slash journey times across the city - for example, Barna village to the airport will be cut from 45 minutes to just 10 minutes.

After ten years of planning, we've had enough waiting. Now is the time we need to rally around the building of the Galway City Outer Bypass - just add your name to the petition here:

http://www.fiannafail.ie/galwaybypass

Thanks.

Hope you don't mind but i've linked this back to the N6 - Galway City Outer Bypass thread in infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cianof wrote: »
    Gluas 2nd.
    Don't want more stinking buses. Electric public tranport is the future.

Buses can be electric too.

Fixed-track transport is the way of the past, or of mega-cities.

Flexible-route public transport is the way of medium sized town and cities.

Frank Fahy has organised a trip along the proposed route of the galway bypass. To sign up visit this page - be warned you will be signed up to a Fianna Fail mailing list and you will receive mails on other topics.
    I was delighted that so many signed up to join me on a field trip along the Galway Bypass route following my below email.

Please note that the field trip will now be held this Friday, 25th June at 3.30pm. There are still a limited number of places remaining for the trip. Sign up now to join me.

The weather is forecast to be good on Friday, and it should be a very informative and enjoyable trip:

http://www.fiannafail.ie/fieldtrip

Frank Fahey, T.D.

Thank you to everyone who came out with me recently to knock on doors and spread the word to get the Galway Outer Bypass moving.

Do you want to learn more about the bypass and the special nature of the land on which it must be built?

Although this project has been in development for a decade now, many people are still unaware of its proposed route.

In response to requests I received at the doors, I'm organising a short field trip along part of the bypass route. Will you join me?

The reason there have been so many delays on this project is concern over the environmental impact the bypass will have on the area.

That's why an environmental consultant will be present to show the design and graphics of the new Corrib Bridge crossing and the extent of the limestone paving being traversed. He'll explain the stringent efforts that the authorities have made to mitigate the effects of the bypass and the bridge across the Corrib on the surrounding ecosystem.

You can learn more about the lengths that are being taken to preserve the areas of limestone pavement in Menlo. This is, along with the slender bog cotton in Tonabrocky, the subject of the legal challenges against the bypass.

None of us want to see areas of special environmental significance affected by infrastructure projects, but the route the authorities have selected will have the least possible impact on the environment. It will also lower carbon emissions by decreasing the time we spend with our cars' engines running while sitting in traffic.

It's a win-win situation. That's why I'd like you to join me and see for yourself:

http://fiannafail.ie/fieldtrip

Thank you,

Frank Fahey, T.D.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

How do I balance my general distaste of Frank Fahey and my desire to see the Outer Bypass built?

I'm in a glass cage of emotion here folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

Robbo wrote: »
    How do I balance my general distaste of Frank Fahey and my desire to see the Outer Bypass built?

I'm in a glass cage of emotion here folks.

Tell me about it. It seems one of Franks minions is posting details of this trip all over boards.ie. Must be short on people wishing to spend time with Frank.

Tell me about it. It seems one of Franks minions is posting details of this trip all over boards.ie. Must be short on people wishing to spend time with Frank.
    At least Fahy is giving the impression of trying to get the bypass built (i've seen and heard very little from the majority of our elected officials). By the way, i'm not in FF but I don't mind getting some spam if it means that this project gets going. If you don't want to hear about it, don't read threads on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Fahey is a greaseball who has done nothing apart from pull cheap stunts like that recent ( Litter :( ) placard on the Cappagh Road and now proposes a wander around Castlegar ( weather permitting). The whole issue has been kicked off to Brussels for the next year over interpretations of directives etc.

You are entirely correct in saying he gives an "impression" Anto but Frankeen is merely eyeing up surviving the next election campaign. For the last campaign he had a Website on the Galway Bypass that he took down once he was elected and redirected to his own website instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

At least Fahy is giving the impression of trying to get the bypass built (i've seen and heard very little from the majority of our elected officials). By the way, i'm not in FF but I don't mind getting some spam if it means that this project gets going. If you don't want to hear about it, don't read threads on the subject.

It's hard to avoid it when your personal email from Frank all over boards.ie. Get a room.

It's hard to avoid it when your personal email from Frank all over boards.ie. Get a room.

It's not a personal email. I got it too. I get emails from Fianna Fail from time to time because I signed a petition of theirs a while back (could unsubscribe but didn't bother because it is only the occassional email). The Taoiseach sometimes sends out the odd email through the same thing - it doesn't mean he is emailing me personally (although we all agree that Ireland would be a much better place if I was to have a direct line of contact with the Taoiseach so I could oversee all his decision making) :D

Advertisement