Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marinade?

Options
  • 12-11-2009 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Was just about to marinade some chicken breasts for tomorrow's dinner and it occurs to me that I've never done that before, so a couple of questions.

1. Should I slice the chicken up before marinading - they're boneless skinless breasts if that makes any diff?
    2. Does the marinade need to completely cover the chicken? If not, how do I know how much marinade to use?
    3. Covered or uncovered?
    4. In the fridge or no?

As you can see, I'm a complete virgin when it comes to marinade, but I thought I'd give it a go. Sorry about the noob question, but google doesn't help with the generics of marinading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you're going to cut the chicken before you're cooking it, then yes - marinade it cut. Cover it and put it in the fridge. It needs to coat the chicken - not necessarily cover it. Depending on how liquidy the marinade is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Thanks olaola. One more thing, when I cover it, should I be using clingfilm or does it need to 'breathe'? TIn foil and/or a tea towel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Definitely cover it with clingfilm, it doesn't need to breathe. Marinades can really stink up a fridge if they're not covered well.
    Also, open it up in the morning and give it a little stir - this makes sure all the chicken is well marinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yup as Dizzyblonde said. Even though you usually cover chicken with clingfilm, not to keep the smell going everywhere else - but to stop cross contamination in your fridge.

Advertisement