Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Cuts FF/FG/Labour

Options
  • 12-11-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭

I have brought this up before and as I read it mentioned in the news today, Ill bring it up today! FF are about to make some seriously necessary cuts! FG and Labour are playing to the crowd! they cant even answer where the cuts will come from! they are full on what they wont cut, but thin on the ground when it comes to what they will cut! So Id really like to hear their proposal as to where 4 billion, will come from! what do they propose, increase the vat and let the rich pay... maybe! if everything were to start from scratch and the rich were paying what they do now, I would say they are getting screwed! just because they pay what they pay now doesnt mean its right! I have just gotten back from the states to this dump! There were quite a few americans on the flight back and I was thinking "what the hell are you doing coming over to this dump!" we land in Dublin airport, the plane is waiting 30 minutes on the ground after landing to get an airbidge, we then proceed to baggage claim and there is some balls up and wait another 45 minutes for bagage! welcome to Ireland, you should have stayed put!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I have brought this up before and as I read it mentioned in the news today, Ill bring it up today! FF are about to make some seriously necessary cuts! FG and Labour are playing to the crowd! they cant even answer where the cuts will come from! they are full on what they wont cut, but thin on the ground when it comes to what they will cut! So Id really like to hear their proposal as to where 4 billion, will come from! what do they propose, increase the vat and let the rich pay... maybe! if everything were to start from scratch and the rich were paying what they do now, I would say they are getting screwed! just because they pay what they pay now doesnt mean its right! I have just gotten back from the states to this dump! There were quite a few americans on the flight back and I was thinking "what the hell are you doing coming over to this dump!" we land in Dublin airport, the plane is waiting 30 minutes on the ground after landing to get an airbidge, we then proceed to baggage claim and there is some balls up and wait another 45 minutes for bagage! welcome to Ireland, you should have stayed put!

populism has always been especially popular in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Testament to how shamefully inept our political system has become that this is even a news event.
    Even Dev had a Document No.2 ffs:rolleyes:

Make no mistake tho, Fianna Failure are the most populist of them all.

I always wondered why we didn't have a unity government in times like now.
    Then I became familiar with Irish politics.
    'nuff said.

p.s. I'd say Cowen was praying for some suggestions tbh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

FF are not doing enough (or in brief, too much of the wrong things). Daft, given that they drove the ship on to the rocks in the first place.

FG would do less, look at George Lee's plea for caution on CB, citing a guy in hock for a million quids worth (in '06 probably) of red brick. Bruton excepted, and even he has shown a distinct lack of backbone of late.

Labour seem the best of a bad lot, and I say that very guardedly, as there's a lot to pick holes in there, also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

It was always fianna fails job ,to do what they are doing now.
    It's just about six years too late though ,a different government couldn't possibly have made things worse.

Fianna fail ,don't exist without handouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

All I hear is whinge, whinge, moan, moan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Labour seem the best of a bad lot, and I say that very guardedly, as there's a lot to pick holes in there, also.

I'm actually at a loss here as to how you could think that, Labour have been adamantly against any substantial cut in either Social Welfare or Public Pay. Now the thing is we need to cut 4 billion this year and at best 5 billion next year. You can't do that without cuts in Social Welfare and Public Pay, at best we're in an argument about what parts of Social Welfare to cut by more not whether to cut it.

My dearest belief at the moment is that Labour and FG are talking **** and that they'd make the necessary cuts when they get into office because if they actually did what they're saying they'd do right now the country would be bankrupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

FF are not doing enough (or in brief, too much of the wrong things). Daft, given that they drove the ship on to the rocks in the first place.

FG would do less, look at George Lee's plea for caution on CB, citing a guy in hock for a million quids worth (in '06 probably) of red brick. Bruton excepted, and even he has shown a distinct lack of backbone of late.

your kidding right , labour have been the most populist of all

no cuts to public sector wages
    no cuts in wellfare

no wonder they are riding so high in the ratings

nesf wrote: »
    I'm actually at a loss here as to how you could think that, Labour have been adamantly against any substantial cut in either Social Welfare or Public Pay. Now the thing is we need to cut 4 billion this year and at best 5 billion next year. You can't do that without cuts in Social Welfare and Public Pay, at best we're in an argument about what parts of Social Welfare to cut by more not whether to cut it.

That's where the picking holes in part comes in. Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. I think we can all agree that SW and PP need both cutting and reform, and Labour's populist posturing is quite worrying (although it is a more competent looking posture than FG, even though the sums are just as bad). However the rest of 'em look even worse!
    My dearest belief at the moment is that Labour and FG are talking **** and that they'd make the necessary cuts when they get into office because if they actually did what they're saying they'd do right now the country would be bankrupted.

On the contrary, I'd imagine they are both playing to the gallery, with the notion that they can do what needs to be done, in a vague, muddied sense when they actually get the keys to the Government jets. That's even more worrying.
    irish_bob wrote: »
    your kidding right , labour have been the most populist of all

no cuts to public sector wages
    no cuts in wellfare

no wonder they are riding so high in the ratings

Not necessarily the most populist, but the most adept at being populist. A slight distinction.

I'm not kidding at all, but we don't exactly have an embarressment of riches when it comes to politicos.

That's where the picking holes in part comes in. Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. I think we can all agree that SW and PP need both cutting and reform, and Labour's populist posturing is quite worrying (although it is a more competent looking posture than FG, even though the sums are just as bad). However the rest of 'em look even worse!

I don't know, I might be biased, Joan Burton just puts my teeth on edge when she talks about the economy. I feel like throwing stuff at the television when she's on!

Totally irrational dislike on my part of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

If they taxed toilet paper like they do cigarettes, we'd be sorted.

• Advertisement

I don't know, I might be biased, Joan Burton just puts my teeth on edge when she talks about the economy. I feel like throwing stuff at the television when she's on!

Her voice irritates me. She's sounding more competent of late though I think.

Rb wrote: »
    If they taxed toilet paper like they do cigarettes, we'd be sorted.

We'd have roaring trade in Eastern European toilet paper then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I felt sorry for her after the last budget announcement, Richard Bruton came out with a fantastic, hard hitting speech and she had to follow and was like a mouse trying to roar after the lion.

She's sounding more competent of late though I think.

That really wouldn't be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

LMAO:D
    Sometimes she does sound a bit drunk alrite.

There is a difference tho, Burton sounds drunk, Coughlan just sounds plain thick.

Advertisement