Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second 4870 worth it

Options
  • 12-11-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Howeya,

I have a 512mb Sapphire 4870 and I am toying with buying a second one and running them in Crossfire mode.

Ebuyer are doing an XFX one for 75 pounds.

I am pretty sure that you can't go wrong for that kind of money but has anyone got any experienced with this kind of setup and it is worth the effort/money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Well, firstly what motherboard do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The board supports it. Its an Asus P5Q Deluxe:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=esOE5RDJVEmQI86w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

This is something which i'm also interested in...

It's hard to know!
    The thing is with me is that, I play all my games at 1080 and i'm yet to play a game that i need to turn the settings down on!
    Yes i'm aware they exist I just don't play them(i don't avoid them)...

So right now i just plain do not need a second gpu...

That's a question that i think you need to ask yourself.

Also there's a matter of the psu! What's the exact model of your psu?

I hate a 27 inch dell widescreen monitor and i have to play at the native resolution of the monitor ;) I have a 620watt psu - brand escapes me right now but it's one of the higher end brands. As for what's hanging off of that, just a dual core e8400, 4 gigs of memory, an optical drive and two 750 gig hard drives. Built it myself about 18 months ago. I just want to know whether anyone has a similar setup and whether it is worth the 75 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

ok so you're playing at a res of 1920x1200...
    yep..the second 4870 will make a big difference at that resolution.
    In my view definitely worth it.....although your PSU is on the low side for power..

• Advertisement

Tis actually a 650W Corsair one.

I don't think that power would be an issue when you consider what I have running off of it. The CPU isn't even overclocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Tis actually a 650W Corsair one.

I don't think that power would be an issue when you consider what I have running off of it. The CPU isn't even overclocked.

Even if the cpu was overclocked you'd still have loads in the psu.

I guess it would be a good enough upgrade then for you.
    What games do you play? Like do you have to run some of them at a lower than high settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

A little bit off topic but I was looking at at getting a second SLI card for my PC recently, I didn't really need it, but you know the way it is :)

Anyway, I decided against it in the end really because it would be a waste of energy, the second card would be sucking up the juice all the time, I just couldn't justify it (plus probably more noise). Now if there was some way of controlling the motherboard so you could switch the second card on/off as needed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

The second 4870 will certainly give you a nice boost when playing at 1920x1200, especially when you ramp up the AA/AF. But it also depends, do the games you play support multi GPU. Some games benefit from it greatly, others you cant even tell there is a second card in place.

The second 4870 will certainly give you a nice boost when playing at 1920x1200, especially when you ramp up the AA/AF. But it also depends, do the games you play support multi GPU. Some games benefit from it greatly, others you cant even tell there is a second card in place.

And I bet you know just the place to get one..don't you? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Berkut wrote: »
    And I bet you know just the place to get one..don't you? :D

The interwebs? :pac::pac::pac:

Effluo wrote: »
    Even if the cpu was overclocked you'd still have loads in the psu.

I guess it would be a good enough upgrade then for you.
    What games do you play? Like do you have to run some of them at a lower than high settings?

I figured that it would be grand alright. Cheers.

Traditionally been an FPS (Source) and RTS (C&C) gamer over the years. Playing the new Modern Warfare at the moment.

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    The interwebs? :pac::pac::pac:

god no..much too dear..
    we get cheap on the interwebz :D

Advertisement