Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii Modchips?

Options
  • 12-11-2009 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys

I picked up a modchip last Christmas for my Wii and everything has gone perfectly. Now my brother who also has a Wii is looking for a chip. His Wii is one of the original Wiis that came out over here and with the help of http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/search.php I put in his serial number but the answer I got back is very puzzling.

"There is a 48% chance that your drive chip is a GC2-D2B
    and a 52% chance that it is a GC2-DMS.

Your Drive Pins are most likely not cut.
    "

I'm not really in any better shape to make a decision as to what chip is needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Look into softmodding, if your any way computer literate its a piece of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭0141607

EnterNow wrote: »
    Look into softmodding, if your any way computer literate its a piece of cake.

Cheers. He would prefer this as an alternative but if I can't find out for sure which chip is needed then softmodding will be the way!

Presumably any website selling chips, will differeniate the difference between them for you. Although I fail to see any advantage in a Wii hardware mod these days, since softmodding can be done/undone so easily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Presumably any website selling chips, will differeniate the difference between them for you. Although I fail to see any advantage in a Wii hardware mod these days, since softmodding can be done/undone so easily :)

+1

I first looked at Wii chips myself, then found out about softmodding. It's so easy to do, easy to reverse and opens up some great homebrew. It's worth it just for mplayerCE IMO!

All you need is an SD card, and if you need help I think we can explain how to do it here but I could be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

are you installing yourself is it? well if you are you could just open the console up, it says on the drive which type it is

alternatively, just get the wiikey2

Works with all versions, is only a 5 wire install for your wii (presumably) and no soldering to any pins

Chipspain.com will have it here on tuesday if you order tomorrow, they also have a cash on delivery option that is quite handy imo

• Advertisement

Also bear in mind, that firmware 4.2E is rumoured to contain modchip detection. There are reports of the chips not working on this firmware, then when firmware is rolled back, the chip works again.

Im sure there will be work-arounds, but I dont see the logic is spending money when you can soft-mod and do everything a chip will do...for free.

Also bear in mind, that firmware 4.2E is rumoured to contain modchip detection. There are reports of the chips not working on this firmware, then when firmware is rolled back, the chip works again.

Im sure there will be work-arounds, but I dont see the logic is spending money when you can soft-mod and do everything a chip will do...for free.

And has no problems with 4.2E either, I softmodded my 4.2E virgin Wii last month :)

My Wii is also a softmodded 4.2E, so I can confirm there are no issues yet with firmware and softmods, once done correctly.

Thanks for all your replies guys and after looking at it more closely I think my brother is going to go ahead and softmod it.

Do you still need Zelda Twilight Princess in order to softmod?

Also regarding firmware 4.2E - I have my own Wii chipped but I have it left with the girlfriend in Dublin for the time being. I don't have it connected to the net so if I just leave it and don't hook it up to the net will I be ok with this firmware. In other words can you only download this firmware if connected to the net?

Depending on the firmware on your brothers Wii, I dont think the Zelda hack is required. You Wii will be fine connected to the net, the likes of Homebrew Browser etc actually uses your net connection. I turn of the WiiConnect24 setting just to be safe though.

There's plenty of info out there about how to go about modding without Zelda, what to do/what not to do etc.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Depending on the firmware on your brothers Wii, I dont think the Zelda hack is required. You Wii will be fine connected to the net, the likes of Homebrew Browser etc actually uses your net connection. I turn of the WiiConnect24 setting just to be safe though.

There's plenty of info out there about how to go about modding without Zelda, what to do/what not to do etc.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Might be wrong but I thought banner bomb didnt work on 4.2e ? and that Lego: Indiana jones was needed for the hack?

Its possible, Im not fully up on the most recent methods. I came up from a softed 4.0E whilst maintaining homebrew so you could very well be right. Either way its not difficult at all.

calex71 wrote: »
    Might be wrong but I thought banner bomb didnt work on 4.2e ? and that Lego: Indiana jones was needed for the hack?

I upgraded my system to 4.2E and was able to use a new beta version of Bannerbomb I found over at gbatemp and it worked just fine for me.

I think I read that the Zelda hack doesn't work if your system software is beyond v3.3

Advertisement