Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player of the Decade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

eZe^ wrote: »
    Henry for me. Figo should probably be involved too. Although I'd prefer if he wasn't. :D Pirlo/ Nesta should also probably make an appearance. Aswell as Gerard/ Lampard. Del Piero too, and maybe a bit of Raul/ Nedved.. Hahaha

No Nedved then GTFO.

A case could be made for Given on the last 10+ years. Doesn't get enough love outside of the Prem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Dennis Bergkamp
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Gigi Buffon? Has been the World's best goalkeeper or in the top 3 for the whole decade which I don't think anybody else has maintained that standard in their position and he is still playing as well now as he was in his best season with Parma and arguably even better. Easy choice for me

Bubs back on more familiar territory here. The old gimmicks are the best ones.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Dennis Bergkamp
    Headshot wrote: »
    ah no

maybe if they had a proper manager

Wasn't that gift to international management, Domenech in charge back then as well, at the world cup where Zidane got them to the final?

Headshot wrote: »
    I would have Roy Keane ahead of any of the above
    He's definitely up there with the greats alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pro. F wrote: »
    Wasn't that gift Domenech in charge back then as well, at the world cup where Zidane got them to the final?

he was iirc he had to beg the some players out of retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Dennis Bergkamp
    For me it's Zidane.

I feel he did enough in the first half of the decade to warrant my vote. Yes 1998 was possibly his big moment, but he still did a hell of a lot in the 00s.

If it was greatest player of the last 20 years I feel he would win quite easily, but the fact he hasn't played in the last 4 and a half years may count against him in this poll.

To that extent maybe Henry will take it, purely because the 10 best years of his career have happened to span the years 2000-10.

Maybe the OP could clarify what we are voting on, because if it's based on the best contribution throughout the decade then this is different to the best player to have played in the decade. And if it's the latter that we are voting on I think it's pretty criminal not to have Messi on the list (and Kaka for that matter) who would have come close to getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Zinedine Zidane
    Morzadec wrote: »
    To that extent maybe Henry will take it, purely because the 10 best years of his career have happened to span the years 2000-10.
    QUOTE]

Agree..if this is the way it's run.. then Henry is a shoe in. As much as I love him. Like a god to me. But in terms of the decade, he was lucky to be in his prime during the 10 year spell within the said decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Dennis Bergkamp
    Morzadec wrote: »
    For me it's Zidane.

I feel he did enough in the first half of the decade to warrant my vote. Yes 1998 was possibly his big moment, but he still did a hell of a lot in the 00s.

If it was greatest player of the last 20 years I feel he would win quite easily, but the fact he hasn't played in the last 4 and a half years may count against him in this poll.

Maybe the OP could clarify what we are voting on, because if it's based on the best contribution throughout the decade then this is different to the best player to have played in the decade. And if it's the latter that we are voting on I think it's pretty criminal not to have Messi on the list (and Kaka for that matter) who would have come close to getting my vote.

Good post and i agree 100%
    Henry will probably top the poll since his best years were his premiership ones and that is what the majority of people on here watch the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

list leaves a little to be desired doesnt it?

guess that will always be the way.......from that list, Henry i guess has the best shout

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Zinedine Zidane
    Henry, undoubtedly the best player ive EVER seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Dennis Bergkamp
    I am amazed that people could put Henry over Zidane.

Zidane was the rolls royce of midfielders at the very highest level - control, skill, passing, movement, scoring ability, genius. The teams he played for - Juve, Madrid and France - were at the top of the charts when he was the conductor.

Henry's best moments came against weaker opposition in the PL.
    In key games for France and arguably for Arsenal (2006 Champions League final comes to mind) was he there at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Zinedine Zidane

Zidane was the rolls royce of midfielders at the very highest level - control, skill, passing, movement, scoring ability, genius. The teams he played for - Juve, Madrid and France - were at the top of the charts when he was the conductor.

In key games for France and arguably for Arsenal (2006 Champions League final comes to mind) was he there at all?

Exactly, Zidane was a rolls royce, he was a player who saved his best for the big occasions, you wouldn't take him out of the garage to buy Milk and the Sunday Times, and quite regularly other times was quite anonymous in games. Zidane, despite how highly he is regarded, was wildly inconsistent his entire career, he'd win you the CL trophy with one moment of magic, and then play absolute garbage against Celta Vigo, Cadiz, and Malaga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Zinedine Zidane

they were fairly alright....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Reading the thread Ronaldinho was the first player I thought of. Loved watching him play.

When he was at the top of his game he was untouchable. Flair,brilliance and always looked like he loved playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Zinedine Zidane
    joe123 wrote: »
    Reading the thread Ronaldinho was the first player I thought of. Loved watching him play.

When he was at the top of his game he was untouchable. Flair,brilliance and always looked like he loved playing.

I don't think any player I've ever seen had seasons as good as Ronaldinho did from 2003-2007 (especially 2004 and 2005). The most naturally talented player of the past decade, pity his mentality and fall from grace will mean he won't go down as a great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Dennis Bergkamp
    Zidane. Easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What decade are we talking about? Shearer hasn't played in over 10 years. If it's a free-for-all, then King Eric. No question. Just for his panache, cool & pure ballsy frenchness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Paulo Maldini

When Zizou was with Juve for 6 or 5 seasons they only won one league title when he was injured for half the season and Del Piero came up with a big season. I never watched Zizou at Real but you ask any Juve fan who saw both player's time at the club and based their ability on that alone and Nedved is the better player. Zizou was just so inconsistent in Italy and whiile he often showed flashes of his brilliance and had the ability to win games single handedly he rarely did and normally just looked bored

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Thierry Henry
    Havn't mentioned it til now as i thought it was a joke. Where is Essien?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Zinedine Zidane
    CHD wrote: »
    Havn't mentioned it til now as i thought it was a joke. Where is Essien?

Where was he in 2000?

Zinedine Zidane
    ^
    I cried when Henry scored that goal vs Real, he wanted to get to the final so badly that year, what passion, Thierry will always be a Gunner to me.:o

So yeah, Im voting for Henry*.

Vote may be slightly biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

As much as I hate to say it, because he destroyed us on many occasion, I'd have to go for Henry.

Failing that I'd side with Iker Cassilas. Two Champions Leagues, Four League titles with Madrid since the turn of the decade and all whilst playing behind a muck defence (at least after when Hierro retired.)

Thierry Henry
    jasonorr wrote: »
    Where was he in 2000?
    Sporting Club de Bastia in France.

Where were you?

Zinedine Zidane
    Sporting Club de Bastia in France.

Where were you?

I know where he was as I looked it up. I had to look it up, see what I'm getting it. You know because you're a Chelsea fan or quite possibly looked it up too! Point is, he can't really be considered in a team of the decade.

I was in Longford, started 5th year that year. Thanks for asking, you?

EDIT: I do think it's quite a silly poll by the way!

Zinedine Zidane
    Essien?

Hardly.

Thierry Henry
    jasonorr wrote:
    I know where he was as I looked it up. I had to look it up, see what I'm getting it. You know because you're a Chelsea fan or quite possibly looked it up too! Point is, he can't really be considered in a team of the decade.
    I think your getting at that you don't know much about his past. I didn't look it up. He can be considered, he's amazing. Péle has his poster in his room.
    I was in Longford, started 5th year that year. Thanks for asking, you?
    Think I was in 2nd year.
    EDIT: I do think it's quite a silly poll by the way!
    The poll is a bit of fun obv. Beckham is on it and Ferdinand isn't, like wtf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Paulo Maldini
    What about Makalele? Had 8 great years at 2 of Europe's premier clubs being the fulchrum of both teams and winning everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Ronaldo
    As much as I hate to say it, because he destroyed us on many occasion, I'd have to go for Henry.

Failing that I'd side with Iker Cassilas. Two Champions Leagues, Four League titles with Madrid since the turn of the decade and all whilst playing behind a muck defence (at least after when Hierro retired.)

For all that he's achieved, Casillas wasn't even the best goalkeeper of the decade, let alone the best player.

This is actually a really tough decision. Henry over the 10 years was probably the most consistent, but he has never really been widely regarded as the best in the world at any given point, which kind of puts me off naming him as player of the decade.

Thierry Henry
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    What about Makalele? Had 8 great years at 2 of Europe's premier clubs being the fulchrum of both teams and winning everything
    He didn't do stepovers though and rarely scored free kicks. Obv not a good football player.

Zinedine Zidane
    I think your getting at that you don't know much about his past. I didn't look it up. He can be considered, he's amazing. Péle has his poster in his room.

I had written a response but, I couldn't be árséd...bedtime!

Zinedine Zidane
    carlop wrote: »
    This is actually a really tough decision. Henry over the 10 years was probably the most consistent, but he has never really been widely regarded as the best in the world at any given point, which kind of puts me off naming him as player of the decade.

I think he was the best out there in 2004, Ronaldinho won it but, biased as I may be, I feel Henry was better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Dennis Bergkamp
    Zidane was just master class:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Zidane was just master class:)

He & Cantona are the only 2 players of the (which?) decade to have films dedicated to / written about / around them. Says a lot! Henry... blah - go off & do another commercial for razors or cars or tampons or whatever is va-va-voom these days.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Zinedine Zidane
    Thierry for me. He's my God!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Dennis Bergkamp
    Zidane for me. How come Steven Gerrard or Roy Keane are'nt on that list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Dennis Bergkamp
    Why isn't Winston Bogarde on the list?

Zidane for me in any case.

If people are saying Henry for his average scoring over the past 10 years then why not David Villa, for me the best striker of the past 5 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

iregk wrote: »

If people are saying Henry for his average scoring over the past 10 years

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dennis Bergkamp
    Has to be Zidane, the best player in the world for a large part of his career while others came and went zidane did it all and in his 6 years in the decade he still reguarly perfromed amazingly for Madrid and France.

A gifted, world class player, look at Real Madrids last Champions League Final win and the left leg volley that won it, a ball falling from the sky on your supposed weaker leg, 99 players out of a 100 would have taken a touch or balloned it but not ZiZou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Henry for me out of those listed.

Others who stood out:
    Ronaldinho
    Messi (He's been so good the last few years that i don't care if he missed most of the decade)
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Zidane
    Van Nistelrooy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Zinedine Zidane
    Henry #1

Special mention
    Ronaldinho
    Cannavaro
    Zidane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

David Beckham
    Of the few on the list who actually played throughout the period, it can only be Ronaldo.

But you left Buffon off the list. Why?

Serie A: 2001–02, 2002–03, (2004-05, 2005-06)
    Supercoppa Italiana: 2002, 2003
    Serie B: 2006–07
    UEFA Champions League: 2003 Runner-up
    FIFA World Cup: 2006
    UEFA Champions League Most Valuable Player: 2003
    UEFA Club Football Awards Best Goalkeeper: 2003
    FIFA 100
    Yashin Award: 2006
    2006 FIFA World Cup All-Star Team
    European Footballer of the Year (Silver Ball): 2006
    Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008
    Onze d'Or (Best Goalkeeper): 2003, 2006
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2003, 2004, 2006
    FIFPro World XI: 2006, 2007
    IFFHS Best Goalkeeper: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007
    UEFA Euro 2008 Team of the Tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Cristiano Ronaldo
    What, no Darren Fletcher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Dennis Bergkamp
    Zidane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Zinedine Zidane
    What decade are we talking about? Shearer hasn't played in over 10 years. If it's a free-for-all, then King Eric. No question. Just for his panache, cool & pure ballsy frenchness.

damn..you caught us out...we cloned Shearer back in 1999 and used him instead after the original retired....:o

here he is at Newcastle 2006 scoring a goal in his testimonial ;)

His last goal was actually at Sunderland where we beat them 4-1 in their backyard..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/4906562.stm

http://www.the-onion-bag.com/bag283

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Zinedine Zidane
    Henry for me. He has won almost everything this deacde and has consistently put in 20ish goals every season bar one. 26 last season, 26 in 99-00 season. Thats a pretty high level of consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Thierry Henry
    No contest. Paolo Maldini all the way. The ultimate legend.

Also I'm quite surprised that Raoul Gonzalez isn't on that list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Johan Cruyff

oh wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Zinedine Zidane
    I'd go for Henry. He was fantastic in the year 2000 and is still top quality now.
    So many wonderful performances in between. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Of all the players listed there Bergkamp is my favourite. I voted for him though completely forgetting that most of my best memories of him were from the 90s, so you can discount that vote when the results are shown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Dennis Bergkamp
    Had to be Zidane for me. Amazing talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

If I was picking the 3 best of the decade:

Henry
    Zidane
    Gerrard

Granted Zidane finished in 2006 but packed in as much in those 7 years as any other player throughout the decade. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement