Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player of the Decade

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Dennis Bergkamp
    Easy - Zinedine Zidane - end of.

I would have thought the current best player in the world - Messi would have at least gotten a mention though Zidane was above everyone bar Maradona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Dennis Bergkamp
    Zidane without a doubt, followed by TH14. Cant understand why ronaldo is there but sure....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Dennis Bergkamp
    Zidane was better than that junkie. He did his stuff without drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Zinedine Zidane
    Gerrard & Giggs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

David Beckham
    . Cant understand why ronaldo is there but sure....

Ronaldo is one of the top three of all time. He won the World Cup in 2002 (his 2nd). Having been written off in 2007, he won the League and Cup double with Corinthians. Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Zinedine Zidane
    From the list I went with Henry purely for the fact that he has been world class in every year of the decade while others haven´t even played every year. A bit of bias creeping in but I would have to give Javier Zanetti an honorable mention, a true legend of the game and a bit underated imo. Also, I think Ibrahimovic has been excellent, winning 7 league tiltes(I´m including the 2 with Juve) in 8 seasons with 3 different teams in 2 different leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Dennis Bergkamp
    Giggs and Keane have a lot more right to be on this poll than half of the contenders, more so Giggs because of his consistent performances at the top level to this day, keane zidane and bergkamp stretch over two decades, I still picked zizou nonetheless though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Dennis Bergkamp
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    Ronaldo is one of the top three of all time. He won the World Cup in 2002 (his 2nd). Having been written off in 2007, he won the League and Cup double with Corinthians. Why not?

Holy sh1t and EPIC FAIL on my behalf. Wrong Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Zinedine Zidane
    Lucas obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Zinedine Zidane
    it has to be henry. he was just awesome . whens the results going to be published. i've a feeling henry will win it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Zinedine Zidane
    Thierry Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Dennis Bergkamp
    The poll ends on December 13th. What if someone really amazing emerges in the last two weeks in December?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Dennis Bergkamp
    zz with pm in 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DBraithwaite

Ronaldo
    Titus%20Bramble_633573354416718750.jpg

Titus anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Dennis Bergkamp
    Zidane.

Brazilian Ronaldo 2nd and Henry 3rd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Zinedine Zidane
    Im willing to bet Henry doesnt get a single vote from today 19/11/09

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Dennis Bergkamp
    It'd be hilarious if Henry won this. And he well might he seems to have picked up a lot of votes.

I won't be feeling guilty though I voted for Zidane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Zinedine Zidane
    FearDark wrote: »
    Im willing to bet Henry doesnt get a single vote from today 19/11/09

which is such a shame.

his legacy is forever tarnished; from an irish perspective at the very least.

i'll still remember how good he was, and how beautifully he played the game. you can't take those things away from him.

a true great, who will now be remembered here as nothing more than a cheat.

it's a sad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Zinedine Zidane
    Is it possible to take back a vote, I just realised I voted for a cheat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Zinedine Zidane
    Is it possible to take back a vote, I just realised I voted for a cheat

Its alright , its how I feel after most Irish General Elections , Time heals all ,

Ps He is still the best on that list in all honesty (now I feel dirty )

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Zinedine Zidane
    x PyRo wrote: »
    Thierry for me. He's my God!.

Jinxed it!. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Dennis Bergkamp
    He only played for 6 years of the decade, but it's defo Zidane for me.
    Players like him don't come around very often, an absolute joy to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Zinedine Zidane
    what eZe said - Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Zinedine Zidane
    Henry Robbie Keane

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Zinedine Zidane
    Henry by a mile. No doubt he won't win the vote now due to bitterness from some people so it doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Dennis Bergkamp
    David Beckham! Why? Maybe in the 90's but what did he do this decade. Hes been more a showbiz personality than a footballer since roughly 2003

Ill go with Zidane. Ronaldinho was in there but more of a flash in the pan. Zidane was awesome - always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Zinedine Zidane
    Agricola wrote: »
    Zidane was awesome - always

nope.

not always.

ask Juve fans especially.

his best was better than anyone on that list quite comfortably; but it was more sporadic than most people would care to remember.

one of the greatest big game players ever, which is why he's remembered so fondly, by myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Dennis Bergkamp
    DB10 wrote: »
    Henry by a mile. No doubt he won't win the vote now due to bitterness from some people so it doesn't really matter.

No, Zidane is still better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

David Beckham
    No Kaka ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Thierry Henry
    Should be called player of the generation.

Maldini bar none is the choice and nobody comes close to what he has given football imo. I have to laugh at over 50% of the choices here . Zidane ? He was 26 when he actually got his **** together at Juve i think.No 26 year old is worthy of a player of the decade award.Infact no player who actually performed for less than 8-10 years of the decade is worthy of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Dennis Bergkamp
    d22ontour wrote: »

Maldini bar none is the choice and nobody comes close to what he has given football imo. I have to laugh at over 50% of the choices here . Zidane ? He was 26 when he actually got his **** together at Juve i think.No 26 year old is worthy of a player of the decade award.Infact no player who actually performed for less than 8-10 years of the decade is worthy of it.

Oh yes, I forgot that magical fairy rule stating that no 26 year old is allowed to win anything. And the other offical part of the rule of least 8-10 years of great performances.

Zidane has had bigger & better perfromances in the space 5 years than most of these players in the list have had in there whole careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Dennis Bergkamp
    d22ontour wrote: »

That would be a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

David Beckham
    Ronaldo for me, unbelievable when at his best and leading all time world cup finals scorer. Henry second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

SlickRic wrote: »
    nope.

not always.

ask Juve fans especially.

his best was better than anyone on that list quite comfortably; but it was more sporadic than most people would care to remember.

one of the greatest big game players ever, which is why he's remembered so fondly, by myself included.

this is my sentiment on him exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Thierry Henry
    tdv wrote: »
    Oh yes, I forgot that magical fairy rule stating that no 26 year old is allowed to win anything. And the other offical part of the rule of least 8-10 years of great performances.

Zidane has had bigger & better perfromances in the space 5 years than most of these players in the list have had in there whole careers.

Never mind the fairy rule but please back up your claim of him having achieved more in the age of 26-31 than the rest have career wise pls.
    Oh wait you are basing this on trophies won aren't you ?

.Great players do not become great when they are 26 is what i meant.Yes he was quality but his career was poor until the later parts and then he was a money cashin in till it ended.He is not what one would deem to be the professional of the era.I take it greatness is based on trophies won to you ? Pity that.

Advertisement