Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Asbestos in Eaves

Options
  • 12-11-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

I'm installing a shower fan and need to bring the duct through the Eaves ( the part under the roof), now I thought that it was made of wood but however when I started drilling it seemed a much harder substance. So I stopped immediately, what are the chances that this is asbestos I haven't heard of fascia contain asbestos before. The house was built in the 1940-1950 and have attached a pic if that helps thanks.

What are my options for drilling a hole if the eaves is asbestos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

center15 wrote: »
    I haven't heard of fascia contain asbestos before.

Neither have I - but it certainly looks like asbestos :eek:
    It's the little fibres that you release when you drill that are the problem.
    Undisturbed, or painted over, it should not be a problem.
    Jim.
    P.S. Looking at the hole you drilled, it looks like there are fibres around the edges of the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Ya, I just started drilling a small bit and noticed it didn't look right lucky for me, I didn't breathe in when the dust started coming and also maintained a fair distance. I think I'm going to have to get someone out to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I am not saying that you should not contact the authorities, but be aware that, once they know about it, they may have to insist that it is all removed - very costly.
    If you continue to make a hole large enough for the duct, you will create a lot of dust and fibres which could be dangerous.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

JamesM wrote: »
    I am not saying that you should not contact the authorities, but be aware that, once they know about it, they may have to insist that it is all removed - very costly.
    If you continue to make a hole large enough for the duct, you will create a lot of dust and fibres which could be dangerous.
    Jim.

I was speaking with someone today who inspects it and their advise was to leave it be as it's not dangerous once left alone. It's about 100Eur to get the house tested as it needs to be sent off to a lab, I think I might do it for my own peace of mind.

Advertisement