Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nearly checked out today on the N3

• 12-11-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Traveling between blanch and the end of the dual-carrigeway minding my own business and noticed a sweet motorbike cruzing behind me and out of the corner of my eye to my right i saw a huge shadow roughly 10 feet in the air, my brain did not have enough time to register what it was, it landed id say 6 feet in front of my car, me doing 100km/h and bounced off into the field, it was a truck tyre rim and all:eek::eek:
    I had to pull in and the biker pulled in behind me to see if i was ok, we had a chinwag and a smoke and i "how lucky were we" conversation cause if i had have hit it he would have hit me. Still kind of in shock as to how close it was.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Traveling between blanch and the end of the dual-carrigeway minding my own business and noticed a sweet motorbike cruzing behind me and out of the corner of my eye to my right i saw a huge shadow roughly 10 feet in the air, my brain did not have enough time to register what it was, it landed id say 6 feet in front of my car, me doing 100km/h and bounced off into the field, it was a truck tyre rim and all:eek::eek:
    I had to pull in and the biker pulled in behind me to see if i was ok, we had a chinwag and a smoke and i "how lucky were we" conversation cause if i had have hit it he would have hit me. Still kind of in shock as to how close it was.

Christ! That's a proper brown trousers moment right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

pretttttty lucky alright! surely if the tyre had hit your car it would have flattened it! do the lotto this evening before your streak runs out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Christ! That's a proper brown trousers moment right there.

Right down to the socks:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Luck there ! ! & tomorrow is Friday 13th and all - that was a close one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

[highhorse]
    you should have been traveling at a speed that would allow you to come to a safe stop, if you had not been speeding.....

As for looking at the bike - eyes on the road!
    [/highhorse]

Nah, seriously, lucky lucky - could have been a nasty one. Glad you (and the biker) are ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Morlar wrote: »
    Luck there ! ! & tomorrow is Friday 13th and all - that was a close one.

:eek::eek::eek: wow so it is, might take s sicky tomorrow, i hate Friday 13th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Wowzers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Pity the biker wasn't female. You could have had one of those high intensity sexual relationships.

Seriously though that is one lucky escape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You were seriously lucky. That wheel would have done some damage. I remember a few years back one of the truck drivers where I used to work lost two wheels one might. He only noticed then the axle got caught on a kerb. He went out himself looking for them on a day off. Found one two fields away from the road dug into a ditch...he thought he remembered a bump near there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

jaysus :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

thats a final destination moment right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Onkle wrote: »
    Pity the biker wasn't female. You could have had one of those high intensity sexual relationships.

Seriously though that is one lucky escape

One don't have to have a close call like that to have on of those. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As much as I would love to have a "I remember one time when.................."

but

Im glad you're ok and the truck wheel didn't take you out. That is all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

[highhorse]
    you should have been traveling at a speed that would allow you to come to a safe stop, if you had not been speeding.....

As for looking at the bike - eyes on the road!
    [/highhorse]

Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule!:p

Glad you are alright bitemybanger. That was too close for comfort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Onkle wrote: »

Some of them female bikers could be right and kinky I reckon:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭bog master

Reminds me of the time, hmmm , late 80's, before the dual carriageway from Blanchardstown heading to Navan on the N3. About 6 PM, heavy traffic and a wet night, this time of the year.

Near the Clonee exit, an artic lost a wheel, came bouncing down the road and there was feck all you could do to avoid it. Luckily skipped past me, and heard nothing about it afterwards! But such a feeling of being powerless cuz you had minimal space to swerve or stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

... livin' to tell the tale is always nice.

About fifteen years ago on the n2 my dad was driving,with the wee sister when they came across a trailer heading straight at them (although they didn't know what the hell it was 'till it was right on them) at about 50mph... oncoming lane was occupied so they had to eat the ditch to avoid the fecker... it still clipped the outerside of the car and clattered them.

They were badly shaken from the experience, although happily both were healthy and unharmed.

Somedude had lost the trailer while he was driving (obviously pretty f**kin' fast) and it had unhitched and he hadn't noticed for ten odd miles!!!

... it's the kind of sh*t that you could never anticipate that can f*ck you up out there...

... Bet you enjoyed that smoke - plus, when's the last time a stranger on a motorcycle and one in a car pulled over on the shoulder for a friendly chat and a smoke!!!

Good luck to you bitemybanger:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I've had 2 "fun" moments in the last 2 days where the side of my car was nearly tore off! :mad:

Yesterday on the M50/M1 roundabout heading to town, some idiot on the inner left lane (I was in the middle lane of 3) decided he was going to drive on right around the roundabout .. almost straight into me were it not for my putting the boot down when i saw him drifting towards my passenger door!

Today then I had a guy in a white van decide he was gonna keep coming out of the garage at the side of the road - despite seeing me - just as I was passing him.. more evasive driving on my part!

They're all out this week it seems! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Thats pretty hairy alright but I'd hate to think what might have happened if the motorcyclist was in front of you instead of behind! :(:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Holy smoke you were doing 100km an hour and just 6 feet saved you. Have you worked out what fraction of a second you were away from curtains?
    100km in an hour
    So 10km in 6 mins
    So 1 km in 36 seconds
    So 100 metres in 3.6 seconds
    So 2 metres in 3.6 / 50 seconds = 0.072 seconds
    7 hundredths of a second from curtains.
    Click the stopwatch on your watch as fast as you can and you probably can’t even do it in 7 hundreths of a second. That is seriously lucky.
    How are you feeling now? Don’t know if I’d be elated or sick to the bone at how close it was.
    Think of anything that delayed you by less than a second today and thank your lucky stars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

No really in the same league but my front number plate flew off today and hit my windscreen at about 120kmph..... scared the crap out of me!!!

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

pathway33 wrote: »
    Holy smoke you were doing 100km an hour and just 6 feet saved you. Have you worked out what fraction of a second you were away from curtains?
    100km in an hour
    So 10km in 6 mins
    So 1 km in 36 seconds
    So 100 metres in 3.6 seconds
    So 2 metres in 3.6 / 50 seconds = 0.072 seconds
    7 hundredths of a second from curtains.
    Click the stopwatch on your watch as fast as you can and you probably can’t even do it in 7 hundreths of a second. That is seriously lucky.
    How are you feeling now? Don’t know if I’d be elated or sick to the bone at how close it was.
    Think of anything that delayed you by less than a second today and thank your lucky stars
    Get out much? :pac:

We're not visually impaired, btw....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭patmartino

No really in the same league but my front number plate flew off today and hit my windscreen at about 120kmph..... scared the crap out of me!!!

S.

Not really in the same league part2

Driving past ballymun on M50 and ladder came off roof of van in OT lane. I was 4 cars back in nearside lane but the 3 vehicles behind van went all over the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Glad you're still here bitemybanger!!

Holy crap :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

About 5 years ago the oul fella was driving along the N3 dual carriageway behind two cars and a car came speeding down the slip road. Whatever he did, the merging car clipped the car in the middle which spun off to the left. My father ended up passing between the middle car and the merger who by now was up in the air. The merger crossed over the central median hedge and landed in the path of an oncoming artic which just about managed to stop!
    Everyone stopped and caught their breath. the artic driver was I think the most surprised. Apparently he initially thought someone was making a movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Many years ago I had a run in with a detached roof carrier.
    The carrier was full of suitcases, covered with stout tarpaulin. Somehow the wind got under the tarpaulin, it bulged and lifted the carrier clean off the roofbars, right in front of me. Managed to swerve into the hard shoulder and not end up in the ditch avoiding the bouncing carrier by millimeters.

Luckily the carrier bounced right into the ditch afterwards and didn't hit anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I was stationary in traffic in Ashbourne co Meath a few years back and down the road at about 20mph comes a lorry wheel on its own.
    It curved and hit a lamppost and then a wall and didn't do anything but the potential was terrible.
    Imagine a pedestrian or a Kid!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jesus wept! Thankfully no one hurt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

faceman wrote: »
    Jesus wept! Thankfully no one hurt!

Yep, it was lucky.
    Wheels carry crazy force, there is a video somewhere of a Street race in Wellington NZ and a wheel comes off a race car, hits a Kerb and flies about 100m into the air lands on a Parked cars roof and completely flattens it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Very lucky just like this guy.

Advertisement