Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating ( Pumps )

Options
  • 12-11-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Back again. Had pitching problems recently with an oil fired burner and a open fire back boiler central heating system. Circulating pump fitted to boiler and to back boiler. Pitching is under control.

My Q now is? I have had the pump on the boiler at 1, and the pump at the back boiler at 2. System took a little longer than I'd prefer to get going, but heated all radiators. Yesterday, I decided to up the setting on back boiler pump to 3 thinking that circuit would heat quicker. Alas no! Why? The pump is quicker but takes longer to heat certain Rads ( specifically Rads that were T'eed off other Rads. ) Could someone enlighten me as to the theory behind different pump settings, and what results would be likely at different settings? Incidentely, when both pumps were at 2 I had pitching.

Kind Rgds
    Springsteen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Think about it. Your pumping the water to fast, Your not giving it time to heat, Your also pumping the sludge around faster forcing it into nooks and crannys meaning your increasing the possability of a blockage. Leave it at 2 this is the norm.

I usually use the 3rd speed to get the pump going when it clogs in the summer autum mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Not sure what way your house is piped, but most of the systems that were fitted in the eighties, had the two pumps running in opposite directions. Together with non return valves, this ensured that the water from the back boiler did NOT try to heat the oil boiler and vice versa.
    If your system is piped like this, then the pumps are working against each other.
    With these early systems, the oil boiler heated up the house and was switched off when the fire had built up, and the back boiler pump then took over.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Springsteen

Thanks Guys,
    Great gen.
    pump back at 2 at back boiler. Works fine.
    pump at oil boiler has to stay at 1 because of pitching, resulting in a slower performance. Is there a way to set it at 2 and avoid pitching? I have bled and balanced to the best of my ability. One last bizarre fact, at 2 it does not pitch all the time?!
    rgds
    Springsteen

Advertisement