Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu fast

Options
  • 12-11-2009 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

could some tell me which is faster Central Processing Unit(CPU): AMD Sempron(tm) 2500+ or Intel Pentium 4 2800 - 3000 mhz CPU

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

nickc wrote: »
    could some tell me which is faster Central Processing Unit(CPU): AMD Sempron(tm) 2500+ or Intel Pentium 4 2800 - 3000 mhz CPU

The P4 would be slightly better, but they're both ancient museum pieces so it doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dinosaurs man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nickc

Intel Dual Core E1400 Processor (2x 2.0GHz) what is amd the same cpu name

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Intel Dual Core E1400 Processor (2x 2.0GHz) what is amd the same cpu name

Maybe something like the Athlon 64 X2 5400 or so. But no-one sells CPU's that slow anymore, except as low end mobile ones.

would it be faster than AMD Sempron(tm) 2500+ how much faster

• Advertisement

would it be faster than AMD Sempron(tm) 2500+ how much faster

What exactly is it you're trying to do here? These processor are from quite different architectures and eras of computing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Spear wrote: »
    What exactly is it you're trying to do here? These processor are from quite different architectures and eras of computing.
    Cicra 2004, in and around. Though, some newer LGA-775 boards designed for duals and quads will still take the ol' P4's.

I want to upgrade my cpu

I want to upgrade my cpu
    You want to upgrade it to one of those?! What in the name of bejaysus are you running now, then?

AMD Sempron(tm) 2500+

• Advertisement

AMD Sempron(tm) 2500+

Any upgrade to that that's worth anything, will involve replacing the entire PC.

I want to upgrade my cpu
    I see now. So you're wondering if the P4 is going to show much difference. The short answer is no. The long answer is below:

You might not be a gamer, and you might be looking for some extra performance from these CPU's, but it's not just a matter of them being old, it's got to do with that they even struggle to keep up with flash based sites and videos. You'll notice a good amount of stutter on the HD flash streams. They are no good to anyone anymore. You'd be better off spending a couple of hundred on a cheap Core 2 Duo, Motherboard, and some RAM (and some extra for a PSU if your current one is not compatible or is too underpowered). You'd have to get a new motherboard anyhow, your AMD board will be useless to you with anything Intel.

I know of two P4 machines that are running 512MB of RAM and 2GB RAM (the latter is my old yoke) and what I have just said about the performance above is a sad reality.

Advertisement