Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Granny/Grandad Rule

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

OP have a read of this before you start having a go at Kilbane.

It really annoys me when people just jump to conclusions when they hear the accent of a certain player and just think "mercenary"!

I have plenty of family that live in England, and even though a lot of my cousins grew up in England and have English accents they are still Irish. It would be the same if I had children and brought them up in a different country, they would still be Irish.

I think we're one of the few countries that have a real problem with our diaspora claiming their birth rights. You only have to look at they we sneer at Americans that claim Irish ancestry.

The way I see it is, if you feel you're Irish and you do actually have Irish roots well then good for you. Now Tony Cascarino on the other hand..........

Does anyone remember Keane giving out about henry because he chose to play for france instead of his native senegal?
    That was Patrick Viera he was having a go at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

CCCP^ wrote: »
    You make a centre of excellence and where do the players go?

The Premier League. Ireland is on the doorstep of the biggest league in the World. The Premier League is our centre of excellence. I have no problems with players who haved proved themselves as regular players in that league with Irish backgrounds declaring for Ireland, especially when one of them, Kilbane, has been such a mainstay of our team. He's world class - FACT.

Since the OP will not listen to any actual reasoning against his weak argument, the post above should do. Using the Dutch system as an example is non comparable. The Academy put in place by the Dutch is one of the very few that actually work. The English Academy is absolute pants, as is the German one and you'll go a long way before you come across anything close to the Dutch version. The OP also called Holland a relatively small country! Is this really appropriate when talking about Ireland. They have 4 times our population and do not have 2 hugely strong national games to fund.
    The whole point is that our very talented young players will not be missed. Scouting systems are so thorough these days that if they're going to be good enough then they'll be in England learning their trade at top clubs which is far more valuable in my opinion than being sent to some centre of excellence which will be a huge drain on funds for no real benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I have an idea!!! lets set up some colonies then we'll have loads of granny rule ppl to choose from:D
    Does anyone remember Keane giving out about henry because he chose to play for france instead of his native senegal?
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    That was Patrick Viera he was having a go at.

Henry was born and raised in Paris!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jasonorr wrote: »
    Henry was born and raised in Paris!
    Eh, that's why I said it was Viera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Eh, that's why I said it was Viera.

Should have made it clearer, I was agreeing with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

heavyballs wrote: »
    Does anyone else share my view on this:
    I'm sick and tired of listening to the likes of Leon Best,Kilbane etc with their English accents(i've nothing v the english btw)in their pre and post match interviews.
    I beleive many years ago we should have done away with the rule that allows us to pick players with Irish grandparents.
    Well i know we wouldn't have made it to the finals of 88'90 and 94 tourneys.
    However the FAI would have been forced to open an academy much like the FA and Dutch academy's which would have produced a higher calibre player than the second hand English hand-me-downs that we currently have.

Finally can anybody name 1 player with an English accent who would have made it into the starting 11 of the English team at the time

Kilbane turned down the England U21's while at West Brom reason being:

"But Im Irish"

Advertisement