Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery Not Secure = Failed NCT

• 12-11-2009 8:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

can anybody shed some light on this?
    my car failed the NCT last night on a relatively minor fault so im not complaining tbh.

the battery needs to be secured but i dont know what i can use to secure it.
    can i use large plastic ties or rubber straps????

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've seen battery's secured with large rubber straps.

What exactly is holding your battery in place at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

What type of car is it. Normally it should have a bracket to stop the battery moving about cos it could short and cause a fire.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bryn wrote: »
    I've seen battery's secured with large rubber straps.

What exactly is holding your battery in place at the moment?

nothing really, its just sitting there on its own.
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    What type of car is it. Normally it should have a bracket to stop the battery moving about cos it could short and cause a fire.

2002 MG ZR
    ive read up on the shorten probelms and risks allright, thats why i wana try fix it properly rather than just for the NCT if you know what i mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Snap kceire. I failed NCT last time round for same reason along with a worn front ball joint. It was down to my own stupidity and forgetfullness for not tightening the bracket fully beforehand. I'd imagine all cars would have an adequate bracket day one. Problems might arise where the battery is changed and the new one is not the exaxct same dimension or even slightly different at the fixing point. On the plus side if this was the only problem I'm sure you wouldn't have to pay for a retest but wonders never cease to amaze me regarding NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never seen a car without either a bolted on strap or a metal bracket to secure the battery. Take a look to see if a strap is wedge under the battery...

Onkle on here has had an engine fire caused by a garage not securing his battery properly so its a very legitimate failure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

some batteries have a little ledge on the bottom that a plate bolts on to hold the battery in place.

You can get universal battery brackets in motor factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The same thing happened to me two weeks ago. There was clamp that held the battery in place but unfortunately it didn't fit the new battery that was installed recently. I'm still looking for something to secure it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

big fat cable ties have to be better than nothing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Snap kceire. I failed NCT last time round for same reason along with a worn front ball joint. It was down to my own stupidity and forgetfullness for not tightening the bracket fully beforehand. I'd imagine all cars would have an adequate bracket day one. Problems might arise where the battery is changed and the new one is not the exaxct same dimension or even slightly different at the fixing point. On the plus side if this was the only problem I'm sure you wouldn't have to pay for a retest but wonders never cease to amaze me regarding NCT.

yeah its a free visual re-check once its carried out within the month after.
    MYOB wrote: »
    I've never seen a car without either a bolted on strap or a metal bracket to secure the battery. Take a look to see if a strap is wedge under the battery...

Onkle on here has had an engine fire caused by a garage not securing his battery properly so its a very legitimate failure!

nothing there, im sure the previous owner must of bought a new battery at some stage and just never bothered re-fitting the clamp.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    some batteries have a little ledge on the bottom that a plate bolts on to hold the battery in place.

You can get universal battery brackets in motor factors.

looks like the motor factors for me then, im sure i'll pick up something over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Pick up a universal bracket at an auto factors (check it first!).

Free "retest" I'd imagine, as they just need to look at it. They might shoot down tiewraps, so best to do it right IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

bought the car with a new battery in it. previous owner couldn't secure it with the original bracket.

I used cable ties but the nct weren't happy with this.

Off to halfords. 'Universal battery clamp please'. Home. Cut it to size. Uses original loops on battery housing to hook into.

Back to NCT with no need to book. Guy behind counter came out to have a look. Went back in a printed out my cert.

Advertisement