Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray on Ice much too expensive

Options
  • 12-11-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Has anyone looked up the ticket prices for Bray on Ice? There is certainly no sign that the event organisers are currently resident in Ireland Nov 2009. e.g. Adult 12 euro,child 8 euro, family ticket 34 euro for 1 hour on ice inclusive of time to put boots on kids. Christmas holidays seem to go on forever trying to keep kids busy. If anyone has more than 2 children then 1 hours entertainment with 2 adults will be well in excess of 45 euro. This is Bray - what do you do for the rest of the day ? Pay another hour???
    I have to say I am disappointed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Aggie Plod wrote: »
    Has anyone looked up the ticket prices for Bray on Ice? There is certainly no sign that the event organisers are currently resident in Ireland Nov 2009. e.g. Adult 12 euro,child 8 euro, family ticket 34 euro for 1 hour on ice inclusive of time to put boots on kids. Christmas holidays seem to go on forever trying to keep kids busy. If anyone has more than 2 children then 1 hours entertainment with 2 adults will be well in excess of 45 euro. This is Bray - what do you do for the rest of the day ? Pay another hour???
    I have to say I am disappointed

Well considering your other option is 7up on ice in the RDS I think it's a bargain.
    7up on ice tickets are
    €16 (adult/child) and
    €58 for a family (1adult /3 kids or 2 adult /2 kids).

Brayonice tickets are
    €12 (adult) €8 (child)
    €34 for a family (1adult /3 kids or 2 adult /2 kids)
    if you have more than 4 in your party then go for the buddy tickets which are €10 each.

I also think that the reason they have staggered skate times is to allow time to get your skates on/off and that you actually get an hour on the ice.

To be honest I think it is great to see this in place for once someone in the town is doing something positive. I am reserving judgement on it to see if it is done half arsed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Bray is actually cheaper than the RDS. Also the time to put boots on yourself and also the kids is generally done before your hour on the ice starts. There is nothing stopping you turning up 10 mins early to get ready beforehand. You generally cant bring bags with you so just bring the money and if its too expensive just dont go or watch the kids from the sidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Aggie Plod

Thanks for those responses. Obviously people don't have to go if they think the price is too high however I thought the whole point of the project was to breathe some new life into Bray. It would be frustrating to see such a great idea fail to achieve an impact.
    Most of the problem for Bray in the recent past seems to be local peoples' failure to shop local. The recession doesn't help. This scheme is sponsored by local businesses who are trying extremely hard to hold on to their livelihood ad have clearly already put an enormous amount of work into the shop in Bray campaign.
    Local families could use this ice rink almost every day of the school holidays and it is such healthy activity for kids but there are no options on a multivisit ticket and as many parents will agree participation by adults in charge is what kids expect and for safety and supervision require. That pushes up the cost .
    Am I honestly alone in thinking that the current pricing is a disincentive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Is it real ice, or the damp plastic sheeting they use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

To be honest having ice skating (yes real ice!) in Bray isnt going to make Bray great!! Even if you went ice skating there isn't anywhere to do any christmas shopping as all the shops are closing. I thinks its great that they are trying to do something good for the town but trying to encourage more shops in may be the way to go.
    The price is the price and its not expensive considering the costs involved in running the project. Im sure the insurance is huge considering a kid in the RDS claimed 24 thousand for falling. Imagine that! Falling on the ice!!
    Go to Dundrum for christmas fun! Tons of shops, santa, lights and I saw some outdoor merry-go-rounds aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

the problem with encouraging shops to come in fluffy is the size of the shops available in the town. Until the something happens with the new town centre we will find it difficult attracking new shops to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cmerush2dstars

I think that bray on ice is a really good idea. It is cheap and in a good location.
    Does anyone now the size of it? I really want to know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think that bray on ice is a really good idea. It is cheap and in a good location.
    Does anyone now the size of it? I really want to know. Thanks.

It's 450 metres

http://www.brayonice.ie/bray-on-ice-faqs.php

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

They have a 'recession skate' price of just 5 euro, Mon to Fri from 10 a.m. till 1 p.m. Says on website though that these times will change regularly. I pressume they will put the changes on the website.
    I hope they'll keep that recession price on tuesday when the kids are off school due to the public sector strike...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Splendour wrote: »
    They have a 'recession skate' price of just 5 euro, Mon to Fri from 10 a.m. till 1 p.m. Says on website though that these times will change regularly. I pressume they will put the changes on the website.
    I hope they'll keep that recession price on tuesday when the kids are off school due to the public sector strike...

I was thinking the same thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

foxy06 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing...

Oh what pessimists we are; they are allowing the first 50 people in free tomorrow for the 10 am session!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Better get my skates on so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I don't think it's expensive at all, it's great for Bray and I hope people support it!

Advertisement