Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing a banjo

Options
  • 12-11-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

Hope somebody can help me out. I want to get my boyfriend a banjo for Christmass but don't know anything about them. Can anyone suggest a good one? He plays the guitar not sure if that will help.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Ok first things first! What style of music does he want to play? There are several different types of banjo, the music he wants to play will dictate the banjo he should get
    In traditional Irish music (i.e this forum) the tenor banjo is used, usually 19 fret, but also sometimes 17 fret. It has 4 strings and it is played with a standard plectrum. It sounds like this:

This is what I play by the way.

In bluegrass they use the 5-string banjo, played with finger picks.
    Sounds like this:

Then there's oldtime music, played on 5 string clawhammer style, with no picks. Sounds like this:

Then there's jazz banjo played on plectrum banjo, 4 strings, but much longer scale length than tenor banjo, bout 22 frets i think. sounds like this:

If you let me know what he wants to play I can help you more!

Advertisement