Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenes of Crime Officer?

Options
  • 12-11-2009 9:48pm

What qualifications will I need to get a job doing this in the Tech. Bureau of the Garda?
    Any info appreciated,
    Thanks in advance... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

dojojoe wrote: »
    What qualifications will I need to get a job doing this in the Tech. Bureau of the Garda?
    Any info appreciated,

Well i dont know about qualifications but there is a forensic science course in UCC. From talking to graduates of it its very hard to get a job such as in the tech Bureau after u do graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

dojojoe wrote: »
    Any info appreciated,

For the Technical Bureau you must first join AGS like every other member. Im trying to remember the last time it was advertised but I think you must have 7 years operational experience before applying.

The State lab however, recruits civilians for testing that is forwarded from the Tech bureau.

As stated UCC do a good course. Give them a shout for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I was at a talk last year and was told you have to be stationed for 3 years before you can apply for the Technical Bureau.
    The Forensics Lab in the park do work for the Garda but are not part of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

If you want to be involved with evidence collection you need to join the Gardai. The other option for working in the Forensic Science Laboratory would be to complete a BSc in a relevant area such as Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology etc. You would enter the FSL as a civilian scientist, not a sworn officer.

nice guy always - what do you mean by the State Lab recruiting civilans for testing to the Technical Bureau?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Might I also suggest you read Never Suck a Dead Man's Hand by Dana Kallman?

The author worked as a real life crime scene investigator for ten years and recalls (quite humourously) her experiences. She also makes the point that it is not all high-tech and glamour like is in CSI. Lots of bodily fluids and gore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

what about the guys that take photos of crime scenes, is that their prime job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

what about the guys that take photos of crime scenes, is that their prime job?

Im not sure about members of the Technical Bureau but the Scene of Crimes do take photos if the investigating member or the SoC members believe it may be of assistance in an investigation.

Advertisement