Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno Ranbat 6

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »

PS Guile sucks.

You just did yourself out of a thanks, Mr! *Pouts*

No in all seriousness I basically echo everything azza says, and once again I've never won a penny at a ranbat. in fact, I don't think I've ever gotten past the first elimination stage. Azza or Bush (usually both) are waiting right there for me.

However, I've been doing this mod game a while now and I realise this will continue to be discussed to death regardless. :)

We should keep it simple. It's 15 euro but it's rare enough. For that 15 you're still getting casuals til the close of the day too. And I think you learn much, much more from tournaments than you do from casuals (weaknesses in my style tend to be much more pronounced, I assume because of tournament pressure). If you want to get good, play in as many tournaments as possible.

Kthnxbai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

The 5th? Booooo. I'll have to miss this again so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The 5th? Booooo. I'll have to miss this again so.
    Come to the casuals ya twurp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

I will, can't go tomorrow but if they're on next week I'm gonna try go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I enter the tournaments, I have no issue paying, I have no issues with them being seeded (my only issue is that I think the fee should be lowered slightly, but its not a major point for me). I know I'm not the best in Ireland, I know when I enter I'm handing my money to the top seeded guys. The enjoyment for me is bettering my game. Coming to a competitive tournament with the best players to see if I've improved from the last time and trying to progress further in the tournament than I did before.

The first tournament I lost in the group stages, and lost in the losers. The next one the same thing happened, only this time I managed to win a few games in the group stages. At Lanparty I progressed group stages, and then lost against very good players in the losers bracket (games I felt I could have done alot better in). And some people I played against that day said I was like a whole different player. I got knocked out, but I was more than happy with how I did, for me (an average player at best) this was as good as winning.

That's the reason I enter, to play against the best players playng at their best in a competitive atmosphere. Not for the money.

Although Cammy and I will be happy to take the whole thing on the 5th :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I think in the future, we should broadcast the tournament more, like make printed flyers. Only way to make the 'scene' bigger, but dont think XGC would approve of too many nerds standing around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Honestly I feel like there will have to be, at some point, a change of venue - it'd be great if we could work something out with one of the Dublin uni gamesocs (think Terry was talking to one of the guys in DCU gamesoc who have a nice room full of xboxes and comfy seats).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I'm the very same as Jim there except I don't view the fee as me just handing it over to the top seeded guys. I don't really think like that, I guess I just see it as paying for the event like I would paying to go see a film or something :p I deem the experience worth the money at the moment or I wouldn't pay. I see the money going to the cause of a legit Irish tourneys rather then visualising it going into the hands of the winners (I suppose is the best way to put it. )

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Honestly I feel like there will have to be, at some point, a change of venue - it'd be great if we could work something out with one of the Dublin uni gamesocs (think Terry was talking to one of the guys in DCU gamesoc who have a nice room full of xboxes and comfy seats).

Its only a matter of time, as things get bigger and better, as for DCU facilities though, gamesoc/xbox center a like, I'm under the impression you have to be in DCU to use this. In other words a DCU student.

I'll make a post on the gamesoc forums I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

AND NOW A PUBLIC SERVICE BROADCAST OF TERROR FROM OUT RESIDENT DICTATOR

Commence bowing now

[Directed at Leprakaun]
    ...But its really a case of throwing the toys out of the pram, I don't want a large entry fee until I have a chance of wining...

I think you're way off here man. I mean the same could be suggested the other way around too from yourself "I won the lanparty tournament giving me a good chance in upcoming tournaments so in organising this one, I want a large pot cuz I'm in with a good chance of winning it". Neither are fair to say.

I don't think you really got what he meant there Azza. He, similar to myself is probably saying he'd like to participate in the tournament but the "added incentive" is not an incentive for him at all but more of a deterrant because he's not playing in a tournament for the reasons he would normally i.e. Fun and competition with a small fee on the side to the winner. Instead he has to now throw more money than he's comfortable with to play so that the "elite" can have their incentive to come from far and wide as was pointed out previously to be the reason for having a higher "incentive". I will point out though I'm not arguing to lower the fee I'm just pointing out why people might have a problem with it the same way I have so that it can be taken into consideration in future.

[Directed at Myself]
    ...Not everyone however is focused on the prize pot as you are. If I go out early I'm not going to cry about it. If I'm in a with a shot of winning at a latter stage in the tournament, sure thoughts of the prize pot enter my mind in between games but quickly disappear when I'm playing a game. Your going get the occasionally bit of sour grapes but we get them in casuals as well. I enjoy myself weather I win or loose. I personally don't feel any extra pressure with a prize pot at stake.

Maybe I wasn't clear on it, if so I apologise. Try reading my post again. The part where I say I'm NOT focused on the prize pot but rather some people are in particular.

The only deterrant I have is spending that much that's all. It makes no odds to me wheather the prize pot is high or low as I'm not concerned with it since I don't presume to be able to win it which means (before you misread that also) I am indifferent to the prize money. I'm not, not playing because I can't win prize money. This seems to be what you've taken from my previous points. I'm saying I simply can't afford the money just to play games I'm going to play anyway for less with no prize pot. It's the fact I don't care about the prize pot that is why I'm happy with not entering the tournament.

I think this discussion is starting to fray anyway and personally I was done with it a while back and am just looking forward to seeing things play out on the 5th while getting some practice in against some heads I wouldn't normally.

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Put aside €2.50 a week and you'll have your entry fee for each tournament!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I knew as I was typing that paragraph that someone would say exactly what you said Ry.

I understand where Leprekaun is coming from as its been discussed before this. The large prize pot is not an incentive for him and the higher entry fee is a deterrent for him, but I believe most of the community outside Dublin are the opposite way around, the prize pot makes up for the entry fee. I totally understand his viewpoint.

Its a question at the tournaments of catering to a certain audience. So we can choose from the people who want a larger pot, small pot or the I don't mind who fit into either camp.

To be honest the causals are there to cater for the people who are there to have fun and some competition while the tournaments are there for the people who want fun, competition and a nice prize pot. The people who prefer the large prize pot I'm sure also have fun and enjoy the competition, they are not mutually exclusive. Thats why when people say stuff like we are loosing sight of what we are about is irritating. It comes across as an assumption that everyone else thinks like they do.
    Ry wrote:
    We're all still very much in the "just go to practice against others and have a laugh" phase of our game so creating large prize pots I feel detracts from the spirit of why we're all actually there by and large.

You can't just decree that the entire community is in that phase, should it not be phrased I'm still very much in the "just go to practice against others and have a laugh". How can you assume to speak for others? Did you create a charter for the community or do you have a schedule for the development of the community, a certain point where we can move on to a tournament level and change the fees and prize pot. Yes its a young community and we need to take things slow and steady and thats exactly what we are doing by catering to both crowds. The practice and have a laugh is catered for in the casual events, and I have for one still have a laugh at the tournaments, as I'm sure most other players do. You also learn stuff at tournaments too.

I haven't seem anyone attempt suicide yet or stab someone with a an arcade stick at the ranbats. (they haven't played Doom enough yet :p)

As I said if we drop down the entry fee to accommodate those that can't win it will never go back up because there is always someone who can't win and thus the prize pot would never go back up. Why should the current so called "Elites" being punished for the inability of the current "Scrubs" to compete or even believe they can compete?. There is always going be a skill divide somewhere. Hell will freeze over before we have everyone at the same skill level. Speaking from the perspective of organize lan parties, while not everything, prize and prize money help attract the better players and for me personally a tournament is only worth winning if the best players are there. I have not gone to tournaments in other games with quite reasonable prizes that I have been pretty much guaranteed to win (Company of Heroes was the game, no one else played it in Ireland at anyway serious level)

Besides its only €10 additional euro once every 4-6 weeks at most. Thats hardly bank breaking. As Chopper said put a little bit aside each week and your covered. Of course no one is being forced to pay if there not comfortable with it. Your free to come along watch the tournament, play casuals and socialize. Your free to organize tournaments at any of the causal events as well where there is no issues with an entry fee.
    Ry wrote:
    as I find too much focus is being put on the prize pot rather
    Ry wrote:
    The part where I say I'm NOT focused on the prize pot but rather some people are in particular.

I worded that post wrong, but from reading what you said you do have an issue with the prize pot because you find too many other people are too focused on it at the tournaments, which most bother you in some way or else you would not have written what you did. Do some of us turn into a**holes at the tournaments or something, do we all stoop to Doom's level of lameness and pick Guile :rolleyes:. I haven't seen anyone freaking out at the tournaments or any strange behavior that would not be present at casuals also. There might be slightly less socializing but thats because people want to watch the later rounds in the tournaments.

You second paragraph makes sense and I get what your saying its perfectly fine. Your under no obligation to enter if you think the entry fee is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Nice contradiction. You obviously do have an issue with the entry fee because your pretty much the most vocal proponent of lowering the fee as your where last time you kept bringing the issue up and have admitted you don't want to enter tournaments because you feel your odds of you making top 3 are not high. Be up front about it like Ry and Leimr0d and not try and imply your only want the fee lowered just out of concern for maybe 3 or 4 others that feel the same way you do.

My last post was really a diplomatic way of saying its not the good players fault your sh**.:p But seriously I would normally say you simply need to play and practice more but granted your in a rather remote isolated area from the rest of the fighting game community which hurts your ability to up your game and there is only so much you can on your own to improve. But its really a case of throwing the toys out of the pram, I don't want a large entry fee until I have a chance of wining. In which case the fee will be permanently be stuck at the lower level because there will be always someone with that mentality, there is always going to be stronger and weaker. Some one has to be the Toro Rosso of the group be if you keep putting the effort in you could be Force India!.

You have a fair point there. I suppose its silly that I keep saying to lower the fee then say that I'm not really bothered by it so I apologise and I concede to say that yes, I am part of that group.

Throwing toys out of the pram? I never said to raise up the tournament fee until I'm good enough to win so thats a bit harsh now. If I was a top player and considering now actually that overall, I've done quite well in the tournaments whereby I lost out to third place on a few occasions so my chances were quite fair of winning some money. If I were one of the top level players in Ireland, I would still agree to lower the prize pot regardless. Consider that at the meets and the tourney which granted, you and I mostly managed, I didn't exactly ask for an extra fee from the players for managing it, which I invested in a considerable amount of effort, or to manage the financial side of things for the meets. I'm not looking for praise but I'm making the point that I didn't say to lower the fee until I'm good enough to win then raise it back up so my reasoning wasn't for selfish reasons (my intentions were to influence more players to embrace the Satsui No Hadou :)).

There are the elite players like yourself, bush, blag, TheWitch, Mike and Simon Guilfoyle while 14 others know they'll lose their money so the ratio is 6 : 14 which is a huge imbalance so it isn't a case to lower it because person A feels like they won't win but its looking at the ratio of potential winners to losers so that it should be more balanced by being at least be a difference of one or two either way (e.g.: 9:10 / 10:9 / 9:11 / 11:9). Ok, so it can be said that it isn't as mathematical as that but there is a way to measure it by using the elite players health bar as a benchmark to see on how many occasions did they lose 70% (as for example) of their health bar or by seeing on how many occasions did new names come up in the top 3. Obviously, it will be tricky to manage the elite players health bar system but its the only realistic accurate method of calculating the pro/good ratio of players.

I just wanted to note that its nothing personal Azza. Please don't consider the first part of my post as being a fiery response to you personally but I just felt that an assumption was made that was out place.

I'd be willing to help with managing the tournament as I'll probably go down for the casuals and watch the tournament so I won't really be doing much so I'd be more than happy to help out.

Leprekaun wrote:
    I mean, I've pretty much decided not to enter any more tourneys until I know I'm up to the top level players in Ireland. Otherwise, its just gambling.
    Leprekaun wrote:
    I never said to raise up the tournament fee until I'm good enough to win....

I'm assuming you mean't lower the (entry) fee with that second quote I posted. Again this is contradictory. The first post implies you would enter the tournament at the higher entry fee if you had a better chance of winning. Therefore it suggests your motive for wanting to decrease the entry fee is that if you don't have a decent chance of doing well in the tournament you want to take as little financial hit as possible. This does not align with what you said in the second quote. With either entry fee is a gamble just with a lower entry fee the risk is less. Your not willing to take the greater risk until you feel confident your skills are on par with the top players.

You later said you have a fair chance of winning some of the pot because as you said your not that bad and you came close in previous tournaments to a top 3 finish. Again kinda contradicts your earlier statement of not wanting to enter a tournament till you can compete with the top players.

I know your not in the organizational side for financial gain, you just want the community to grow which is of course very admirable.

But you go on to say even if you where a top player you would lower the fee regardless which seems to suggest you want it permanently lowered. One would assume its out of concern for people who again don't think the risk reward factor is in their favor. That would be unfair on players who want the higher prize pot and are willing to pay the higher entry fee. The only other proposed reason is that its against the spirit of the community. I don't buy into this reasoning. I have yet to see this over focusing on the prize pot or how it negatively effects the ranbat. It strikes me as waffle, a diversion for the real motives of some people who dislike the cost of the entry fee and it simply weighs on there mind too much at tournaments so they don't fully enjoy them and they are hoping other enough people feel the same way to get it changed as they still want to compete.

I feel the ratio of casuals events to official ranbats is already a perfectly good compromise between the two sides and I don't feel any more accommodation is needed between the two sides. Again no one is obligated to enter the tournament if they feel its too much. If a majority express a view that the entry fee is too high we can change it around.

As for potential tournament winners. There is more players capable of winning the tournaments than you think. You can rule out Simon Guilfoyle he's not playing any more and he is in the UK in University. Bush, Blag, Mike, Cobelcog, The Witch, Myself, Chuu, Kirby are all potential tournament winners, and I'd rate the odds of other people just slightly less like Cunny, Dreddy, Ken B, Sagat08, Roogle, VDeck. You would not be far off either Leprekaun. Regardless of some peoples false modesty they have an even chance of making top 3. A lot of the time its luck of the draw. You get a favorable one and you can avoid some bogey match ups. Luck can be a considerable factor. You might get a draw in a match up your really unfamiliar with as well.

I don't really follow your ratio thing.

I do realize your not personally attacking me. Your expressing your viewpoint which is fine. I just think in a few of your posts before you where not being entirely honest with your motives.

You can't just decree that the entire community is that phase, should it not be phrased I'm still very much in the "just go to practice against others and have a laugh". How can you assume to speak for others? Did you create a charter for the community or do you have a schedule for the development of the community, a certain point where we can move on to a tournament level and change the fees and prize pot. Yes its a young community and we need to take things slow and steady and thats exactly what we are doing by catering to both crowds. The practice and have a laugh is catered for in the casual events, and I have for one still have a laugh at the tournaments, as I'm sure most other players do. You also learn stuff at tournaments too.

Fair point I can't speak for everyone, nor was I trying to. From various people's points of conjecture it seemed like that was the sentiment being voiced by a few people throughout the thread which is why I worded the "we're all" part the way I did in order to "Venn diagram" us so to speak. Secondly I think you're being obstinate to simple concerns people have raised and asking me questions like did I create x or y for the benefit of the community is purely pugnacious, ostentatious and irrelevant.

I already said, personally it's too much for me to spend and that I think others will be in the same boat. This wasn't meant as an attack on the event to try to dissuade people from entering at all but more as something to note and nothing more. I do hope it goes well. I'm looking forward to watching. It will be fun for all even those not participating I think. I'm excited about the day overall. I have read and understand your ideas on wanting to mak it as close to competition you find over seas and I think that's a good idea which is why I hope it succeeds.

Ry

I said that I wouldn't enter the tournament because the fee seems to be set and there is no interest to change it so I feel like I'd be wasting my money. I'm not saying go with the minority but I feel that the problem is that there are some people who are entering it on the basis they know they'll lose their money and aren't bothered by that and then there are those, like myself, who are bothered by it and those who know they have a good chance of winning so they're fine with the higher entry fee because they feel they have a strong chance of getting their money back.

I think you misunderstood my point about if I were to be a top level player, I'd still support the lower entry fee because thats why I talked about the ratio thing. I understand the idea about rewarding the top level players and fair enough, they have the time to practice for hours but something to note is that I'm sure there are a few others about here who are in it to go for the win but their level of play isn't quite up there because they don't have the time/facilities to practice like the elite but they would still have the same amount of motivation.

There are some people who obviously don't take the tournament with the little bit of seriousness that the rest of us would have and yes, the entry fee shouldn't be adjusted for them if, even though they have the time, they choose not to put in the practice. I'm just saying that for those of us who are serious about it but still not quite up there but intent on reaching the top level play, it would be better to make the entry fee lower to serve as better encouragement for them to join the tournament as I'm sure there are some quite good players out there who haven't attended any more tournaments because they feel the entry fee is a bit much.

I never meant to permanently lower the fee, I'm saying to keep it lower for a while to give a chance for those of us who are quite good but still need a bit more practice so that once there is a fair number of players who would be considered of the same standard then if everyone wants to make it higher then increase it because then at least, there is a balanced number between those who are good and those who are top level.

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Ok, so it can be said that it isn't as mathematical as that but there is a way to measure it by using the elite players health bar as a benchmark to see on how many occasions did they lose 70% (as for example) of their health bar or by seeing on how many occasions did new names come up in the top 3. Obviously, it will be tricky to manage the elite players health bar system but its the only realistic accurate method of calculating the pro/good ratio of players.

No offence man but this is an absolutely nuts and unrealistic suggestion. :pac:

Can I just say one thing to the lads who might be coming but don't wanna spend the money on the tourney (have travel fees etc) Have you guys played in one of these big ones before?

I'm just saying maybe I'd be in the same mindset if A I had to travel and B had never taken part before, but after taking part I feel the money is worth it.

So maybe you might think the same. There something to be said about taking part in such an event , even if you don't get far.

You also might get further than you think. Ry your Ryu has improved a lot since say.. the lan party tourney would you not agree?

Funnily enough I'm worse now thanks to stick learning but **** it :p Gotta take 5 steps back wards to take 6 steps forwards....or something. .

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Can I just say one thing to the lads who might be coming but don't wanna spend the money on the tourney (have travel fees etc) Have you guys played in one of these big ones before?

I'm just saying maybe I'd be in the same mindset if A I had to travel and B had never taken part before, but after taking part I feel the money is worth it.

So maybe you might think the same. There something to be said about taking part in such an event , even if you don't get far.

You also might get further than you think. Ry your Ryu has improved a lot since say.. the lan party tourney would you not agree?

Funnily enough I'm worse now thanks to stick learning but **** it :p Gotta take 5 steps back wards to take 6 steps forwards....or something. .

Well you might be right but I figure I'll play a bit more before I stake money on my skills :) Sure by the time the thing comes I might end up just throwing in the money anyway haha!

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

There is plenty of casuals to accommodate people who think don't fancy there chances at a tournament. I don't think 4-6 weeks is overdoing it for a tournament.

The "i don't want to play tournies crowd" don't interest hugely me. I'm just suggesting what might be a viable alternative. Though as i said no reason they can't both be done.

If the tournies were on a set date (third saturday of each month, or every 6 weeks/whatever) that would be a big improvment.)

Re: the casuals, not really worth my time coming to them too much, last day due to people not renting out consoles etc I didn't get the hugest amount of games, quite frustrating. No excuse for not having a console for every 2 peeps.

PS I pretty much agreed with you re: the fee

Ry wrote: »
    Fair point I can't speak for everyone, nor was I trying to. From various people's points of conjecture it seemed like that was the sentiment being voiced by a few people throughout the thread which is why I worded the "we're all" part the way I did in order to "Venn diagram" us so to speak. Secondly I think you're being obstinate to simple concerns people have raised and asking me questions like did I create x or y for the benefit of the community is purely pugnacious, ostentatious and irrelevant.

I already said, personally it's too much for me to spend and that I think others will be in the same boat. This wasn't meant as an attack on the event to try to dissuade people from entering at all but more as something to note and nothing more. I do hope it goes well. I'm looking forward to watching. It will be fun for all even those not participating I think. I'm excited about the day overall. I have read and understand your ideas on wanting to mak it as close to competition you find over seas and I think that's a good idea which is why I hope it succeeds.

Ry

Ah! For F sake man, its the weekend, meaning no college work. Now I have to go look up those words.

2470316913_4b81793dbc.jpg

• Advertisement

Ry wrote:
    Secondly I think you're being obstinate to simple concerns people have raised and asking me questions like did I create x or y for the benefit of the community is purely pugnacious, ostentatious and irrelevant.

I'm aware of peoples concern on this issue as this topic was brought up before in the run up to an event and was discussed during one of the events as well. Most people where in favor of the larger entry fee so thats why it was put in place. When it was brought up again it was being brought up pretty much by the same people, you being the only new addition to the proponents of the people who prefer a smaller pot that I know of. Leprekaun now as then being the most vocal on the subject in favor of the smaller fee. As I knew on both occasions and he has now admitted he was not being entirely honest with his motive I might of been a bit short with him but ask anyone and they will tell you I'm a fair guy, and I'm not just overruling on whim just because I disagree with him. We have been over this ground before in depth and its just retreading the same ground. Yes they are others who say they won't attend because they don't believe they can compete so is not worth wasting the entry fee, but they are aware its a compromise, they don't bring it up and only speak up when asked. Yes I know these people would like the entry fee reduced and then it would be no harm entering the tournaments, but they understand they are in the minority so don't kick up a fuss, they still have the casuals to go to and improve.

If there is a ground swell to change the entry fee we will change it.

With those question I was asking you I was just trying to re-enforce the point that your views are not necessarily the same as the community as a whole. You feel there is an over focus on the prize pot by others players at the tournaments but gave no evidence in support of it.

I understand you viewpoint Ry and know you where not attacking the event itself. I understand your rational for not entering the competition and am aware some others feel the same way about the entry fee. As I said if enough people feel the same way we will look at changing it. But at the moment I don't believe there is.

Owwmykneecap, a fixed date might help some people alright, but I think flexibility is sometimes needed, you might have other events on that clash.

As for no excuse for not having a console between two players, the casuals are not really organized as there is no one is guaranteed at ever casual so its hard to have dedicated organizer.

I'm aware of peoples concern on this issue as this topic was brought up before in the run up to an event and was discussed during one of the events as well. Most people where in favor of the larger entry fee so thats why it was put in place. When it was brought up again it was being brought up pretty much by the same people, you being the only new addition to the proponents of the people who prefer a smaller pot that I know of. Leprekaun now as then being the most vocal on the subject in favor of the smaller fee. As I knew on both occasions and he has now admitted he was not being entirely honest with his motive I might of been a bit short with him but ask anyone and they will tell you I'm a fair guy, and I'm not just overruling on whim just because I disagree with him. We have been over this ground before in depth and its just retreading the same ground. Yes they are others who say they won't attend because they don't believe they can compete so is not worth wasting the entry fee, but they are aware its a compromise, they don't bring it up and only speak up when asked. Yes I know these people would like the entry fee reduced and then it would be no harm entering the tournaments, but they understand they are in the minority so don't kick up a fuss, they still have the casuals to go to and improve.

If there is a ground swell to change the entry fee we will change it.

With those question I was asking you I was just trying to re-enforce the point that your views are not necessarily the same as the community as a whole. You feel there is an over focus on the prize pot by others players at the tournaments but gave no evidence in support of it.

I understand you viewpoint Ry and know you where not attacking the event itself. I understand your rational for not entering the competition and am aware some others feel the same way about the entry fee. As I said if enough people feel the same way we will look at changing it. But at the moment I don't believe there is.

That's fair enough yeh. I didn't realise this was a recurring issue as I am pretty new to the boards competitive Street Fighter "scene" so I apologise for raising old issues in that regard. In essence I don't really have a problem with the fee, just that it's high for me being that I'm not working at the moment and have to travel also so it takes it's toll. That said when the day comes it'self I'll probably end up playing regardless. :D

ask anyone and they will tell you I'm a fair guy

Bollocks! Not while I can't punish your damn light kneepress scissor kick crap on block yet a mere sweep from me and I'm brown bread!

:P
    Owwmykneecap, a fixed date might help some people alright, but I think flexibility is sometimes needed, you might have other events on that clash.

Yeah I'd agree, atm I think a date worked out and voted for weeks beforehand works best.

Ry wrote: »
    That said when the day comes it'self I'll probably end up playing regardless. :D

That's the spirit, I look forward to taking your money seeing how you do! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

As for no excuse for not having a console between two players, the casuals are not really organized as there is no one is guaranteed at ever casual so its hard to have dedicated organizer.

You've got me wrong there.
    It's not up to any one person it's up to the individuals.
    People should have enough money for at least the 4 hours (a fiver) and half a deposit (a tenner)

You do get your deposit back after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

If the tournies were on a set date (third saturday of each month, or every 6 weeks/whatever) that would be a big improvment.)

Ye I agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Interesting read tbh. :)

Last saturday of every 2nd month is a good way to have it set, it's when the majority of people who have jobs get paid.

I don't see how splitting it in to 2 tiers would work unless you're going to have 2 different tournaments. Otherwise you'd have people on the verge of breaking through sandbagging so they wouldn't have to pay in to the tournament.

If you feel you don't have a shot at winning then get yourself to the casuals to practice or even just attend to pick up tips from speaking to or fighting against other players. You have to start somewhere.

The casual and competitive sides can co-exist. I think the €15 is a fair price for the competition as even if you don't get to go all the way, the option to play casually at another machine is still there.

Hope it goes well and I'll try pop by to see some good fights.

Sagat06: if you're going let me know, has monies for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

I think that if there is going to be a hefty sum of money involved for the top 3, that the judge should not have a hand in it. A judge needs to be neutral and non bias. Although I play in our ranking battles, I have not played at the annual Q-Cons or Dramatic Battles where prizes were involved.

@ Azza; I am not saying it has or it will effect your judgement as tournament organiser. But you should definitely put yourself in a position where any bias can not be applied to you. That said it seems the community has your trust on this.

Honestly, though perhaps not official up until now, I'm sure Azza would be prepared to accept a ruling against him were it agreed upon by knowledgeable people there - that said, that's a good point Kyle and maybe we should appoint others to make decisions should Azza be involved in the first place.

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't mind if someone else wants to be co-judge for the tournament. He can rules on incidents if they involve matches I am in. Also be handy to have a second judge just to discuss other incidents if they arise.

Who ever wants the judge can stop forward, all are welcome for the post (except Guile players).

Advertisement