Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SICK OF THE SOUTH

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

No, normal street version. I'm just wondering if the dublin airport price is the same as the irish street price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

chapelgate wrote: »
    Well, that last comment answers it all.
    The South have been paid too much for too long and that has allowed prices to escalate uncontrolled. Greed accelerates greed and the foolish have been happy to pay these inflated prices without question. Now that the money isn't so freely available, the shops are reluctant to come down from their golden pedestal or stock goods that they consider you don't want. Understandably, the shoppers are prepared to go elsewhere. My income is already at UK levels, always has been - I live within my means and to be honest don't care where I shop. I am not loyal to greedy shopkeepers and care not for living the Southern dream of easy rich pickings with an extravagant expenditure. Hold onto your precious high wages if you wish - just don't complain when prices rise again - which they will !

I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be, on a high wage by Irish standards. I am working in retail.
    What sector are you working in Chapelgate, where your wage has been on par with the UK for the past several years?

EDIT: am rereading your post.
    "The south" has been paid nothing. People working in the south have been able to command higher wages, because of the basics of economics. Supply and demand decide wages, just as much as prices

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭marinbike

RGS wrote: »
    It is clear that doing business in ROI is dearer than NI examples:
    1-Minimum Wage higher here than NI
    2-Rent higher
    3-Inurance Higher--mainly due to excessive Injury awards for minor accident claims.

So we must factor in approx. 20-25% for the additional costs of doing business in ROI.
    Shopping in the north is not helping this economy and will only result in more cuts to SW, cuts to hospital services, more unemployed etc., due to less government income from VAT, PAYE and other income streams.

The Government has reduced the VAT by 0.5% and the Retailers are not passing this saving on to their customers. The Irish Retailers are very reluctant to lower their prices anyway. So you deserve the loose business to the north. Thats the benefit of having open borders in the European Union. It allows people to shop around for REAL offers, not stingy sales like the ones here in the Republic.

Its up to the retailers to re-negotiate their rent prices and to shop around for cheaper insurance. Adopt the Ryanair approach to the way you operate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭marinbike

mcaul wrote: »
    then enjoy the lower prices in Northern Irelandd while they last (sterling will recover at some stage)

The currency experts have predicted Sterling will reach parity with the Euro this year. Very unlikely will it recover to the 2006/07 levels unless something radical happens. Even if it does recover, the difference between Northern/Republic retail prices will still be gigantic.

Good news for the customers as the Irish retailers will no longer be able to rip us off, period! In a way, the northern exodus acts as a watchdog on the retailers here in the Republic.

Advertisement