Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Powermeter training programme

• 12-11-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi guys, this is my first post but i've been a keen follower of boards.ie cycling for a few years now. I recently lost my job and in a moment of reactionary madness signed up for Ironman france along with a few buddies. I just received a really nice and thoughtful gift for my 30th, a powermeter called the ibike-pro. I always thought they were a bit of an extravagance but now that i have one, i'd like to make the most of it.
    does anyone have any idea where i should start or get a good (free) training programme??
    Thanks so much in advance.
    buzz

ps: apologies for my first post being a request, i wish i had more to offer in terms of advice/posts but i'm an average club roadie who has quietly learned most of what i know from boards. Thanks again guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

Hi guys, this is my first post but i've been a keen follower of boards.ie cycling for a few years now. I recently lost my job and in a moment of reactionary madness signed up for Ironman france along with a few buddies. I just received a really nice and thoughtful gift for my 30th, a powermeter called the ibike-pro. I always thought they were a bit of an extravagance but now that i have one, i'd like to make the most of it.
    does anyone have any idea where i should start or get a good (free) training programme??
    buzz

ps: apologies for my first post being a request, i wish i had more to offer in terms of advice/posts but i'm an average club roadie who has quietly learned most of what i know from boards. Thanks again guys.

Here is something to get you started:

http://www.sykkeltrening.no/forum/dokumenter/powerbased_training.pdf

But you should really consider investing in this:

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Racing-Power-Meter-Hunter/dp/1931382794

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 buzz_lightyear

amjon wrote: »

thanks very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

in a moment of reactionary madness signed up for Ironman france along with a few buddies.
    I hope you like climbing.... It's a great bike route, very few flat parts, wouldn't like to do a marathon after it.
    95954.jpg

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I hope you like climbing.... It's a great bike route, very few flat parts, wouldn't like to do a marathon after it.
    95954.jpg
    Thanks Diarmuid! Not a big fan of climbing but thats why i want to get the finger out now. at 94kg i like a nice rolling course! can i ask a personal question? did u use a triple chainset for that? i hear alot of europeans use them for big climbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Thanks Diarmuid! Not a big fan of climbing but thats why i want to get the finger out now. at 94kg i like a nice rolling course! can i ask a personal question? did u use a triple chainset for that? i hear alot of europeans use them for big climbs.
    I do have a triple, but on that route you don't need it. It never gets too steep apart from "the step" (about 10km into the race ; is only 500m long but brutally steep.) The big climb is 20km long but only climbs 900m. The descent is good fun and fast on a road bike, wouldn't fancy it on a full-on TT bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

buzz

Hey, I think you're a bit confused. For anything related to RLJ, taxis, cycling two a breast and the like this is the board. For actually bike training, and especially TTing, A/R/T is the board you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tunney wrote: »
    Hey, I think you're a bit confused. For anything related to RLJ, taxis, cycling two a breast and the like this is the board. For actually bike training, and especially TTing, A/R/T is the board you need.

There's obviously only so much scorn you can fit in one post, but I'm disappointed that you didn't use the opportunity to slag the iBike. Are you being nice because he's a triathlete? :pac:

OP: Training and Racing with a Powermeter is excellent, probably combined with Joe Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible (I don't have that, but his cycling bible is great).

Lumen wrote: »
    There's obviously only so much scorn you can fit in one post, but I'm disappointed that you didn't use the opportunity to slag the iBike. Are you being nice because he's a triathlete? :pac:

No, the iBike has its limitations but if configured correctly and used correctly it is reasonably consistent.
    OP: Training and Racing with a Powermeter is excellent, probably combined with Joe Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible (I don't have that, but his cycling bible is great).

Training and racing with a powermeter is excellent. I'd also recommend the google power group where the authors of the book and other power gurus hang out. Great resource.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tunney wrote: »
    I'd also recommend the google power group where the authors of the book and other power gurus hang out. Great resource.

You mean Wattage?

You mean Wattage?

Yes sorry, the wattage group.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys, great stuff as always. apologies if i posted in the wrong spot.

Thanks for all the advice guys, great stuff as always. apologies if i posted in the wrong spot.

You didn't :) I was just taking the pi$$ out of Fred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Hi guys, this is my first post but i've been a keen follower of boards.ie cycling for a few years now. I recently lost my job and in a moment of reactionary madness signed up for Ironman france along with a few buddies.

I'd listen to this podcast as well about power and Ironman. It might give you some good tips on training.

Go here the get the podcast - http://imtalk.me/Ironman_running.html (its show 59).
    Gordo on Power
    We have an amazing interview with Gordo Byrn on the subject of Power. He covers all the question that you want answered on this topic. Gordo is one of the best thinkers in the world of Ironman triathlon. Instead of me writing up a piece on him I’ve taken his own write up from his coaching page on this website, www.gordoworld.com It gives you some insight into his thinking as a coach. Here it is:
    Following five years of general endurance training, I completed my first Ironman in 1999 (11:06). Since that time, I’ve completed fifteen Ironmans and won the Ultraman World Championships. The most satisfying aspect of my recent race performance has been the consistency of results (my last six Ironmans all being completed under 9 hours).
    I have three things that I believe are essential to making progress in athletics: consistency, recovery and the right mental attitude. I believe very strongly that the last item in that list is by far the most important. I do a lot of work training my mind. The next most important is recovery. About half of the long distance athletes I know spend their lives on the edge of, or slightly over, the overtraining abyss. I believe this is the most overlooked aspect of superior performance. Finally, I believe that consistent work, rather than hard work, is what reaps the most dividends. I work with no more than six athletes at a time. This ensures that every athlete on my roster gets a large “share of mind”.
    Over the years, I’ve worked with a wide range of athletes (men, women, elites, agegroupers). I’ve found that I am most effective with athletes that are able to train alongside me (personally or at Epic Camps).
    I’ve been fortunate to train and study under the leading coaches in our sport – Scott Molina, John Hellemans, Dave Scott and Joe Friel. My personal coaching philosophy is a synthesis of their experience as well as my own triathlon career (eight years and counting).
    There is no easy way,

gordo

Thanks Gordo for another great interview! You’re a legend. Good luck for Canada.

Advertisement