Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim - a minor

Options
  • 12-11-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I hope I'm in the right forum. If not please move.

I've read where a minor is involved in an insurance claim the monies received are kept in a court bank account till that minor reaches the age of 18.

However in the event of some of those monies being needed to deal with those injuries, is it possible to use it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Hi,

Yes any settlement made to a minor has to be lodged into the Court untill the minor turns 18. However an order can be made for some of the monies to be paid to the parents to cover medical fees etc - special damages.

Talk to your solicitor they will be able to sort this for you. An award made by an insurance co has to be ruled by the court. Basically a barrister appointed by your solicitor goes in front of a judge to recommend the award agreed btwen you/sol and insurance company. Its then that the barrister can ask for monies to be paid to parents. Should not be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Thanks for the reply meself. Thats quite a relief.

Advertisement