Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing my gun into Ireland

Options
  • 12-11-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before, I found a 2004 thread on the issue.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=207148

Whats the laws and hoops I would have to go through in bringing and licencing my gun if I decided to return to Ireland.

I am planning on getting a Springfield XD 9mm , I live and work in the US so why not! Loved the feel of this weapon using a buddies one on the range.

As we do have plans to come home to Ireland in the future, I was wondering is it possible to also bring my handgun with me?

Related questions to this, what the availability of ammunition in Ireland, 9mm. Or is it .22's that are more readily available?
    Are their many shooting ranges in Ireland? Being honest before i came to Texas I didn't have much of a interest in personal firearms but being around them changes that.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Simple answer is it is not going to happen unless your moving to Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Simple answer is it is not going to happen unless your moving to Northern Ireland

oh, not the answer i was hoping for. Are the laws that strict. madness really

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No new centre fire pistol license applications will be considered in Ireland. You could apply for a .22 rimfire pistol but thats pretty much it. Even those that have a CF pistol before the "cut off date" (19th November 2008) are finding the renewing/re-application of their firearms near impossible.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Is there a government website that has this info on it. Dept of justice or something..............What am i thinking it the Irish government so probably not :rolleyes:

I will have a scout around on the gov websites. Cheers for the info, will probably have to sell it so if i decide to come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

murfie wrote: »
    Is there a government website that has this info on it. Dept of justice or something..............What am i thinking it the Irish government so probably not :rolleyes:

I will have a scout around on the gov websites. Cheers for the info, will probably have to sell it so if i decide to come home.

There's this. Tells you about importing and exporting. The Garda site covers licensing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Sorry if this has been asked before, I found a 2004 thread on the issue.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=207148

Whats the laws and hoops I would have to go through in bringing and licencing my gun if I decided to return to Ireland.

I am planning on getting a Springfield XD 9mm , I live and work in the US so why not! Loved the feel of this weapon using a buddies one on the range.

As we do have plans to come home to Ireland in the future, I was wondering is it possible to also bring my handgun with me?

Related questions to this, what the availability of ammunition in Ireland, 9mm. Or is it .22's that are more readily available?
    Are their many shooting ranges in Ireland? Being honest before i came to Texas I didn't have much of a interest in personal firearms but being around them changes that.

Thanks for any help

Return to ireland ? have you had a massive blow to the head by any chance ? this country is sinking with all hands and has very little to commend it anymore , massive tax , corrupt incompetitent leaders, unemployment and on top of all that you can't even escape for a few shots at the range at the weekend anymore :mad:

rowa wrote: »
    Return to ireland ? have you had a massive blow to the head by any chance ? this country is sinking with all hands and has very little to commend it anymore , massive tax , corrupt incompetitent leaders, unemployment and on top of all that you can't even escape for a few shots at the range at the weekend anymore :mad:

Your right, I don't expect it to be anytime soon, that for sure.

Just curious about firearm legislation if I do decide to come back when Ireland gets back on its feet, 5 years......is that optimistic? Oh this is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

5 years......is that optimistic?

Who knows - at this rate - by then you will still be allowed play golf - but putters will not be allowed - "sure you have plenty of Golf Sticks already"

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Bananaman wrote: »
    Who knows - at this rate - by then you will still be allowed play golf - but putters will not be allowed - "sure you have plenty of Golf Sticks already"

B'Man

Now stop you know the plan ..... you can have your putter (but only on the 29th of Feb.) but no Balls !

(Sorry of topic )

Bananaman wrote: »

B'Man

are you insane , wait til AHern hears the amount of kinetic energy a golfball has , he'll have one of his "tough on crime" moments in an interview outside the dail and that'll be golf gone too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

are you insane , wait til AHern hears the amount of kinetic energy a golfball has , he'll have one of his "tough on crime" moments in an interview outside the dail and that'll be golf gone too !

GOOD !!!! Then he can finally lead by example and hand in his clubs to be destroyed,put in storage,or try and sell them outside the ROI!!!As he is a golfer himself!! Along with all his Dail cronies in Portmarnock or Louth or wherever.After all how many people die each year from heart attacks or being struck by lightning in the USA on golf courses??Surely we dont want a US style Golf culture here??
    Golf courses,a perfectly good waste of a firing range!!:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1218926/Grandmother-killed-stray-golf-ball-hit-playing-partner.html:o

PJ Hunter wrote: »

if that woman had died from a stray bullet there would have been a string of "concerned" m.p.'s in front of the tv cameras spouting drivel .

SEE!! Told you that Golf was a fierce dangerous game.:D
    If it saves just one Child ..[or Grandmother],wouldnt the banning of golf be worth it.??:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    SEE!! Told you that Golf was a fierce dangerous game.:D
    If it saves just one Child ..[or Grandmother],wouldnt the banning of golf be worth it.??:rolleyes:

but then what would all those sexually inactive people do on a sunday morning ?

Take up shooting perhaps????
    100% safer and saner than playing with your "balls":D;)

Hmmmm,could we all pass round the hat and start a collection for our sound Minister for Justice,who is a windsurfer as well,and send him on a windsurfing holiday up near that glacier?????:D:D:D:D

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hmmmm,could we all pass round the hat and start a collection for our sound Minister for Justice,who is a windsurfer as well,and send him on a windsurfing holiday up near that glacier?????:D:D:D:D

Minister for Justice,who is a windsurfer

your right g45:D

competitive yachtsman and windsurfer for 20 years, winning regional championships and former Ulster windsurfing champion.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1129/1227910354298.html
    Ministerial footprints Dermot Ahern suffered a bit of a comedown in circumstances when he went from foreign affairs to justice. The bad news is that his dinner jacket is in mothballs. The good news is that his carbon footprint is tiny. When details of the Cabinet's carbon emissions were released recently, the Minister for Justice came out best with emissions of just 0.49 tonnes.The biggest figures are from the Department of Foreign Affairs. Not surprisingly, Dick Roche is hastening the demise of the poor polar bear with, by far, the most emissions. Both Green Ministers are way above "best practice" targets. However, John Gormley pleads that most of his carbon emissions relate to the long-haul trip he took to Bali last year for the UN conference on, er, climate change.
    Meanwhile, Dermot Ahern is cock-a-hoop and proclaiming his Green credentials.The Minister recently installed solar panels in his home overlooking the sea in Dundalk. He also has a wood chip stove and recycles everything.Windsurfer Dermot is now looking at the option of surfing to Sandymount from Blackrock beach in Louth and getting the crossbar from John Gormley in Ringsend for the final leg to Leinster House.
    Credit where it's due

• Advertisement

how i wish the irish sea was full of hungry great white sharks just now :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Windsurfing, don't the Irish public have a right to fear for their safety while swimming. I propose a ban on windsurfing and surfing in general.

Those with a 3 metre board (prior to 19th November 2008) may re-apply for a permit to keep their board, those with a board over 3 metres who bought after the 19th November may consider their board(s) revoked. No new applications for a board over 3 metres will be accepted.

Anyone wishing to apply for a board, may do so providing the board is not over 3 metres and cannot hold more than 1 person. All those with boards under 3 metres but capable of holding 2+ persons may restrict their board to a single person capability. The sail for these boards (where applicable) may not exceed 2 metres in height or lenght.

These measures are designed to prevent a proliferation of surfers and surfing related injuries.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Yeah,last thing we need in Ireland a "US surf style culture." With teens hanging around the beach all day saying things like "like Yeah,Rad man,that last tube was awsome DUDE!" Dressed in attire only suitable to threaten the fearsome old spinsters or freeze to death in the Irish weather.
    After all with films like "Point Break" and the connection with surfers[,however teneous ]and bank heists.It would be surely logical to ban immediately surfing as that film irrefuteably proves a link between surfers and bank robbers..After all dont all our pro bank robbers plan their heists out on the waves in Lahinch??

Advertisement