Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few changes. Say hello Wave goodbye...

• 12-11-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Notice anything a little unusual in the box at the bottom right of the main forum page???? A few new names maybe, and some gone????

Well they say that every dog has it's day and maybe its true for cats too - particularly black ones ;)

So, i'm off into the metropolis of boardsville to take on a different role than moderator of photography. But don't get too comfortable in your seats. Just when you thought it might be safe to run amok (not that ye guys would :eek:) you should know that i've been sucked up into the quasi structure of boards and together with Will, we are replacing LoLth as category moderator for the Arts category of boards. So, while i'm gone from moderating the photography forum directly, I won't be too far removed and in particular circumstances you may see me about the place doing things. That's by means of background but this stuff is not really important.

What is important is that the forum continues to grow and serve the needs of the on line photography community. The moderation team who support the community in growing the forum will change over time and my replacement is one such occasion for this change. The decision on a replacement was easy though. In fact it was made 5 / 6 months ago when Calina took a break to progress some real world stuff that needed attention. Well some of Calina's real world stuff is now completed, so the moderators have requested that she would rejoin the team replacing me which was roughly the time frame originally envisaged. So your new moderator is Calina who makes a welcome return to these parts.

My user handle remains in the list from being category moderator as is the addition of Will and the removal of LoLth. LoLth, our former category moderator, has progressed into the role of one of the site admins (those people that wear long black cloaks and chant on top of Tara during the solstices - eh, strategy making apparently...or so i'm told :p). Best wishes to LoLth who did so much for the forum supporting us through any background issues and always a receptive ear to any query that we ever had. He regularly looked at those issues from an independent stand point and sometimes suggested to us moderators to have a second look at things.

On reflection, I think the community is strong. I think the moderation team is strong. The category moderators are new but enthusiastic and are very supportive of the on line community. And the admins too have benefited from the addition of LoLth. All sounds like a good set up to me.

Personally, I just want to thank everyone who worked with me during the term I spent here as a moderator. I really appreciate your participation, care, interaction and understanding. An occasional kind word or encouragement has been immensely important to me. I don't think I had too many cross words with people. If I did I hope they were measured and I trust no hard feelings anywhere. Thank you all sincerely.

So, I think that's it at the moment. Most of my on forum participation from here on out will be just as a regular user, and should I be posting on forum from the category moderator perspective then i'm thinking it will be abundantly clear.

Catch ye all later folks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Good stuff ACD - well deserved. You're a credit to your profession!
    Trust you'll still be up for the odd meet with us mere mortals now and then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

They grow up so fast these days. Seems just yesterday he was Modding in shorts. Now he's off into the big bad world!

Welcome back Calina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Now time to cause some mayhem and see who's quick to react...........:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Congrats ACD, you will be missed round here I'm sure, definitely the most helpful and dedicated mod on Boards that I know of. Good luck with the new role. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

But ... but ... who's going to write all those C&Cs now ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Aww that's terrible and great news all at the same time. Sorry to see you go from here ACD, you were excellent around these parts but sure you've gone onto something new and that's cool. Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

You were a moderator? :D

Good luck in your new ventures. I'm sure you'll still bless us with your honest C&C from time to time.

*tips hat*

*notes that there's not near enough emotes...*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

AnCatDubh, farewell as moderator of the Photography forum and good luck in your new venture.
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The moderator is dead! Long live the moderator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I noticed the CMod status you had a few days ago.

Well done you were one of the better Mods this place has had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Congrats ACD. A very well deserved promo, although your presence here as a mod will be sorely missed. However don't forget us, we need over here as a poster ;)

As for the change in house mates. Its not every lad who says honestly that he's in bed with two women. Nice move there Caban Sail :D

Calina, it's nice to have you back. Just take it easy on that whip, at least until I have the leathers on :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Congrats and love the soft cell quote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Good Luck ACD and welcome back Calina ;)
    ACD> could you post one more loooong C&C pleeeeese :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

You have the patience of a saint Tommy! All the very best with your new role. We'll miss your modding by hopefully you'll continue bring involved.

Thanks.

Welcome back Treasa. Love nor money comes to mind :-)

I think I'd make a great mod. After a week or so only people who agreed with me would be left. And I'd ban THEM randomly as well just to keep them on their toes. Hopefully the influx of new posters would keep up with the incessant stream of bannings ...

Also grounds for a ban would be ...

HDR. Using, favouring, condoning or indeed anything other than angry condemnation.

Sports, Photography of.

Selective colour B&W.

Swans.

Digital cameras, usage of.

Ahhh yeah. The place would be quiet as the grave in no time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I'd be banned constantly just for annoying you. I'd take 1 photo a week and if it's not sports related I'd HDR the shoyte out of it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'll donate money to the SSF is Calina's first ban is to DaireQuinlan ! :p

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    I'd be banned constantly just for annoying you. I'd take 1 photo a week and if it's not sports related I'd HDR the shoyte out of it :pac:

Banned !

See ? ohhh yeah. Being a moderator would be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'll donate money to the SSF is Calina's first ban is to DaireQuinlan ! :p

Damn. I banned a spammer at 8am this morning. Couldn't even get through the first day without having to wield it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think I'd make a great mod. After a week or so only people who agreed with me would be left. And I'd ban THEM randomly as well just to keep them on their toes. Hopefully the influx of new posters would keep up with the incessant stream of bannings ...

Also grounds for a ban would be ...

HDR. Using, favouring, condoning or indeed anything other than angry condemnation.

Sports, Photography of.

Selective colour B&W.

Swans.

Digital cameras, usage of.

Ahhh yeah. The place would be quiet as the grave in no time :D

Thank you Mr Quinlan ..... We will give your application full consideration. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

daycent wrote: »
    Congrats ACD, you will be missed round here I'm sure, definitely the most helpful and dedicated mod on Boards that I know of. Good luck with the new role. :)
    But ... but ... who's going to write all those C&Cs now ??
    Aww that's terrible and great news all at the same time. Sorry to see you go from here ACD, you were excellent around these parts but sure you've onto something new and that's cool. Congrats.

Can I point out that while Tommy is now a CMod, he is still a Photographer & so will remain as a user here. Technically he has all the buttons he had as a Mod here but now has a few more added. His fantastic C&C's were posted as a User here & not as a Mod, so I don't think they will stop. In fact most of what we post is as normal users. We try to make it very clear when we are being all offical loike.

You know what was a bit trippy? Today I got a Reported Post from AnCatDubh! That was a first & made me do a bit of a double take as my first thought was "Why doesn't he just do it himself?" as I am so used to him being a Mod here. Then I realised it's due to the change in roles.

It has been a real pleasure having him here. LoLth was also great support when needed & I cannot think of anyone who will fill that role better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Thanks for putting up with my crap Tommy.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Thank you Mr Quinlan ..... We will give your application full consideration. :rolleyes:

-snip- stupid joke -snip-

-note to self ... never stay logged in while not at desk-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Well, a change and I hope for better for you. More responsibility, more involvement, more power...
    Good luck and keep an eye on our mods here, don't let them too loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

sad to see you go ACD - you've been a great mod!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I also think Daire would make a future Mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

Thanks for all your work ACD.
    Best of luck in your new role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Got a fierce fright when I first read about this in the off topic thread. But now I'm more relaxed as I'm pretty sure we don't lose you here as a poster. And if modding help is for whatever reason needed you're still around as well.
    All the best for everyones new (/old) role.

Advertisement