Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aware 10k, Phoenix Park, Sat 12 Dec 2009

• 12-11-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭

The Aware 10k Christmas Fun Run is on Saturday 12 December at 10am in the Phoenix Park.

You can register online via the above link. Fee is 20 euro.
    Note that race numbers must be collected from Aware (72 Lower Leeson Street) during office hours in the week before the event.

Hopefully is is not as cold as last year.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is there no other way to get your race number? If not I'm probably not running it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

According to info posted out to me numbers are available for collection on:

5th December between 11am and 3pm
    Monday 7th to Thursday 10th between 10am and 8pm

From Aware Office, 72 Lower Leeson Street

No mention of whether numbers available for collection on the day.

Might be worth a quick tinkle at 01 661 7211 to enquire.

Hope this helps.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

The full text is:

"Please note that race numbers will be available for collection from Aware, 72 Lower Leeson St, Dublin 2, the week before the event. All details will be included in your information pack, which will be posted to you once you have registered online. "

which is even more bizarre.

Why would they not include the numbers when posting out the information pack?

If they don't change this it will have a major impact on the numbers participating.

mithril wrote: »
    The full text is:

"Please note that race numbers will be available for collection from Aware, 72 Lower Leeson St, Dublin 2, the week before the event. All details will be included in your information pack, which will be posted to you once you have registered online. "

which is even more bizarre.

Why would they would they not include the numbers when posting out the information pack?

If they don't change this it will have a major impact on the numbers participating.

I was wondering the same. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

They included sponsorship cards in the letter I received. Maybe they want to maximise the fundraising by getting these out now rather than waiting until registration is closed and numbers allocated?:confused: Can't see any mention of a closing date for entries though:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I emailed them before registering to ask about collecting on race day:
    Numbers will only be available on the morning of the race for late registration participants (€30) but if you want to register early you can either arrange for someone you know to collect your number or if you have problems with that we can come to some arrangement nearer the time.
    So, they will have people distributing numbers on the day, though not for pre-registered folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

daymobrew wrote: »
    The Aware 10k Christmas Fun Run is on Saturday 12 December at 10am in the Phoenix Park.

You can register online via the above link. Fee is 20 euro.
    Note that race numbers must be collected from Aware (72 Lower Leeson Street) during office hours in the week before the event.

Hopefully is is not as cold as last year.

Ugh... forgot how cold this was last year. There I was thinking it's cold now - how quick we forget!

Must remember gloves this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Ugh... forgot how cold this was last year. There I was thinking it's cold now - how quick we forget!

Must remember gloves this year...

The ice was fun too.... i'm really surprised they didn't grit the route...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

It was my first 10k last year. I will not be entering this year only because I do not want to pick up the number in Leeson st. To hell with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Balls (of snow).
    If I had read this beforehand, I wouldn't have bothered registering for the race.
    I cannot take the time off work to visit their offices. I would prefer if they didn't bother sending me an information pack, and just sent me my number instead (or just let me pick it up beforehand, like last year).

I appreciate that it is a charity organized race, and that by avoiding sending out the numbers they may save on some postage costs, but I would happily have paid an extra euro for my registration to cover the cost of posting my number out to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

If anyone who I know would like me to pick their number up, let me know i paticular Boards AC members :D another reason to join a club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

kerinsp wrote: »
    It was my first 10k last year. I will not be entering this year only because I do not want to pick up the number in Leeson st. To hell with that!

It was my first 10k last year too, can't do it this year because I've got an exam that day. Stupid Saturday exams! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭journey

I'm doing this and will be going in to collect my number the week beforehand. I live in Leixlip so if anyone wants me to collect their number just PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It was baltic last year. I went skidding down the hill passed the magazine fort and managed to stop myself just in time before I had a nasty fall.

That's a bizarre rule about collecting race numbers. I think they'll regret that poorly thought out decision.

I'll enter because I can (if I take a very long lunch break) get over to pick up the race number but it really is a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It was baltic last year. I went skidding down the hill passed the magazine fort and managed to stop myself just in time before I had a nasty fall.
    I actually did fall on my ass last year during this race, slipped on ice at the water station... Fun times :pac:

Here are the collection times as per the letter I received.
    Race numbers are available for collection on:
    Saturday December 5th from 11am to 3pm and Monday December 7th to Thursday December 10th from 10am to 8pm from the Aware office, 72 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2

So there's an option to collect on the Saturday beforehand and also after work on the week before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Which end of Leeson St are the offices on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Which end of Leeson St are the offices on ?

72 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2.
    On the Stephens Green side of the canal, not far from the bridge I'd say?

Thats a long walk for someone lazy and unfit like me:D

Maybe the number collection thing is being done because the race started late last year (only 10mins though) - remember the announcer teasing those waiting for the toilets?

• Advertisement

Maybe the number collection thing is being done because the race started late last year (only 10mins though) - remember the announcer teasing those waiting for the toilets?

The reason is started late last year as far as I remember was because they were waiting for the ground to thaw out a bit, they were talking about calling it off altogether. Won't be running this now most likely but I'll be at the finish line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Dear God I remember last year. Freezing just isn't strong enough a word to describe it.

Looking forward to this year though. I have 43:23 to beat... fun fun fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Did this the last 2yrs and we collected numbers on race morning,i wonder will they change it?:confused:

hawkwing wrote: »
    Did this the last 2yrs and we collected numbers on race morning,i wonder will they change it?:confused:
    Do you mean "I wonder why they changed it?" - they have changed it to collect the week before the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Do you mean "I wonder why they changed it?" - they have changed it to collect the week before the race.
    I wonder will they change it back to the way it was in 2008/09..Last year's cupid's dash race was similar with regards to number collection but in the end you could collect your number on race morning which i don't think was their initial plan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When they realise the day before the race that nobody has picked up their numbers they will have to change it to the morning of the race instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Thats a complete joke regarding having to go into town to collect your number. Some of us live down the country for heavens sake!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Glad I didnt sign up for this now. No way Id drive to Dublin just to collect my number. Thought hard of doing it for the marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Is is the same course as the Great run 10k?

• Advertisement

No, don't think so. More of an anti-clockwise direction. Here's my route from last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Disaster! My department group Christmas Party is the night before this race. Bit of a dilemma now!:mad:

jinka wrote: »
    Thats a complete joke regarding having to go into town to collect your number. Some of us live down the country for heavens sake!
    I encourage you all to contact Aware to let them know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tried to register online and it told me there was a technical error and to contact the office - I think it's a sign :rolleyes:.

Plan for Dec12th.
    Phoenix Park - 10AM - 10k race
    Leoparstown - 12 to 4 - Kid's work Christmas Party
    Wicklow Town - 8 til Late - Neighbours Christmas night out

Something needs to give - maybe the technical error was a message!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

04072511 wrote: »
    Disaster! My department group Christmas Party is the night before this race. Bit of a dilemma now!:mad:

I've a similar issue with a drinks session now being planned for the Friday before as well so have decided against doing this 10k now. I may still turn up with the camera though, but that will all depend on how messy the night before gets.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Tried to register online and it told me there was a technical error and to contact the office - I think it's a sign :rolleyes:.

Plan for Dec12th.
    Phoenix Park - 10AM - 10k race
    Leoparstown - 12 to 4 - Kid's work Christmas Party
    Wicklow Town - 8 til Late - Neighbours Christmas night out

Something needs to give - maybe the technical error was a message!!!
    You just need to make sure that you finish the 10k quicker, to keep everything on schedule. 34 minutes should do it. :)

• Advertisement

Just wondering, this is my 1st 10KM and i'm wondering what is the route like ??

Is it flat or are there many hills on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

just a few little ones......1 at about 2k and 1 at 4k and a sneaki 1 at 9k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just wondering, this is my 1st 10KM and i'm wondering what is the route like ??

Is it flat or are there many hills on it ?

First 5km flat or down hill, last 5km mainly uphill as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Don't worry about the hills, worry about the cold.

The cold doesn't bother me.

I played GAA and Rugby during the winter for years in the muck, rain, frost and ice.

I have lovely warm gloves and never wear a hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Don't worry about the hills, worry about the cold.

Run harder :)

tunney wrote: »
    last 5km mainly uphill as far as I know.

I really wish I hadn't read that now :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

journey wrote: »
    I really wish I hadn't read that now :eek:

You'd be hard pushed to find a race in the Phoenix Park that doesn't have any hills in it!

They do exist though - I know the 5k on New Years Day is totally flat. Not sure about the Jingle Bells

Jingle bells goes through the furry glen IIRC so yeah, quite hilly.

Right i better put some hills into my runs in the next 2 weeks........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Late Registration on the day:

Dear Friend of Aware,

This is a reminder that if you wish to take part in the Aware 10km Christmas Fun Run in the Phoenix Park Dublin @10am on Saturday 12th December and have not already registered, the closing day for registration is Thursday December 3rd. When you register, an information/sponsorship pack will be sent out to you outlining details of the Run and the days and times that race numbers can be picked up from the Aware Office the week before.

Late registration is in the Garda Boat Club, Chapelizod Road, on the morning of the Run between 7.30 – 9.30am, €30.

Thank you for your support last year.

Regards

Carmel Jackman
    Fundraising Officer
    Aware

Tel: 01 661 7211; Dir: 01 237 4909

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Art of Noise

Thats great. Think I will give this a go now. I wouldn't have been able to get up to Dublin the week before so Registration on the day suits me. Will be my first shorter distance race. Have only done 2 half marathons and one marathon up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Signed up for this today. Looking forward to it. Never done a 10k before, though I'm still struggling with niggles so I may not be able to go at full pelt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Late Registration on the day:

Dear Friend of Aware,

This is a reminder that if you wish to take part in the Aware 10km Christmas Fun Run in the Phoenix Park Dublin @10am on Saturday 12th December and have not already registered, the closing day for registration is Thursday December 3rd. When you register, an information/sponsorship pack will be sent out to you outlining details of the Run and the days and times that race numbers can be picked up from the Aware Office the week before.

Late registration is in the Garda Boat Club, Chapelizod Road, on the morning of the Run between 7.30 – 9.30am, €30.

Thank you for your support last year.

Regards

Carmel Jackman
    Fundraising Officer
    Aware

Tel: 01 661 7211; Dir: 01 237 4909

Best of luck with the race, however 30e on the day is very steep. When you race a lot you have a choice of races and ones at 30e will be bypassed.
    I think 20e is more than enough for 10k race, whether its for a great charity or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

I was meant to sign up but left it too late. Don't think I will fork out €30 for it. <Snip>

• Advertisement
Advertisement