Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aware 10k, Phoenix Park, Sat 12 Dec 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

dammit i forgot the deadline was last night.

€30 though is a bit much. wonder how they are at haggling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Hi all,

I'm heading to this on sat. What is parking like ? i'm be coming in from the Ichicore side so down by Heuston or something like that.

My wife and baby are coming to see my finish so want to be close enough.

Also what are the timings for it and what time would i need to be there ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭journey

Race starts at 10am. As far as I know gates into the park close at 9.30. There's limited parking at the papal cross or you can park along the main road through the park (along by the zoo) and walk to the start line I suppose.

I hope i'm not working late friday night !!!!

I'll prob go in the main entetance beside the new courts building so i'll make my way from there.

Its my 1st race and all this is new to me.

What time would i need to be there at ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ready to race at 0945

Thats great,

I'll plan to leave my home in Laois at about 8.

When do we get the timing chip ?

Sorry for the questions:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

probly on your number..

Cool thanks.

I have to collect that on Wen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

E-mailed Aware letting them know i cant get in to collect number cause of work untill the day itself. That was a few days ago. Aint recieved anything back of them yet. If i cant collect on the morning i probably wont do this race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    E-mailed Aware letting them know i cant get in to collect number cause of work untill the day itself. That was a few days ago. Aint recieved anything back of them yet. If i cant collect on the morning i probably wont do this race.
    Ring them. They might come to a *cough* 'arrangement', involving the *cough* 'postal service'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What time does this start at? Planning a cycle in the park next week so I might pop up to the finish line to see some boardsies finish in a blaze of glory.

10 Bells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

too lazy to read through all of this, can you register on the day, i'm planning a 4/5 mile temp this weekend and might use the second half of the race for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Ring them. They might come to a *cough* 'arrangement', involving the *cough* 'postal service'.
    Was planning on giving them a buzz tomorrow. Is it just me or is all this to much hassle for a 10k in the park:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Was planning on giving them a buzz tomorrow. Is it just me or is all this to much hassle for a 10k in the park:D

Youre right Oisin, its mucho Hassle. And 30 bocker aswell. Im not one for complaining but this race is the athletics equivalent to Mariah Carey......high maintenance.

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Youre right Oisin, its mucho Hassle. And 30 bocker aswell. Im not one for complaining but this race is the athletics equivalent to Mariah Carey......high maintenance.

outch 30... i'll be doing m tempo on my own then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

tunguska wrote: »

You still would though.....race it I mean ;)

Work night out on Fri so was gonna half-drunkenlyl stumble around with some slower friends but the Carey factor is swinging my decision one way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

can ya enter on day???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

can ya enter on day???

post from BeepBeep in this thread:
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Late Registration on the day:

Dear Friend of Aware,

This is a reminder that if you wish to take part in the Aware 10km Christmas Fun Run in the Phoenix Park Dublin @10am on Saturday 12th December and have not already registered, the closing day for registration is Thursday December 3rd. When you register, an information/sponsorship pack will be sent out to you outlining details of the Run and the days and times that race numbers can be picked up from the Aware Office the week before.

Late registration is in the Garda Boat Club, Chapelizod Road, on the morning of the Run between 7.30 – 9.30am, €30.

Thank you for your support last year.

Regards

Carmel Jackman
    Fundraising Officer
    Aware

72 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2.
    Tel: 01 661 7211; Dir: 01 237 4909

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

christeb wrote: »
    You still would though.....race it I mean ;)

Work night out on Fri so was gonna half-drunkenlyl stumble around with some slower friends but the Carey factor is swinging my decision one way....

Yeah, I will.........be racing that is. Damn you Mariah Carey(shakes fists at scandily clad worbler).
    This is getting surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Got mine today and i'm up in the 1,5-- so they must have got a decent enough entry.

You have to sign a form that you collected and can collect for others but need to sign the form for them as well. Can you actually sign a disclaimer for someone else who hasn't seen it? Sounds a bit odd. They should have a way you can collect your number for the race on the day if you can entry on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Did this in 07,08 but giving it a miss this yr,too expensive i think and the number collection is a put off.Will do a 4miler on Stephen's Day instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Was supposed to run this but I've been entered into a Pub Golf event the night before (9 pubs, different drink in each pub, drink is as few sips as possible, 2 stroke penalties for spilling your drink, pukeing etc). Yep, running is definetely out of the question for 10am on Saturday morning!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I went into town to collect my race number. It wasn't until I got home that I thought about how inconvenient that all was (and I am a stay-at-home father so I wasn't taking time off work or anything). It took me over 2.5hrs in all to get the train to Pearse, walk to Leeson St, walk back and get train.

I do not see why they could not have posted the race numbers out with the info sheets. Great Ireland Run and the adidas race series all posted out massive numbers of chips so why couldn't Aware :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I just picked up my number and one for a mate who will be coming down from Tyrone. I asked what would happen to my mate if I wasn't living in dublin and they said that if he couldn't pick up his number and rang ahead they would come to an arrangement of some sort.
    I asked why we couldn't collect the numbers on the day, they said it is because of lack of volunteers (yet they are taking late entries :rolleyes:) and that last year the race got held up due to lack of volunteers to hand out numbers (close the number pick up desk an hour before the race then ;)).

They said that they couldn't post out the numbers and chips because the chips are worth €15 and they are a small charity. I fail to see how someone who has their chip posted out is more likely to lose it than someone who came into collect it....poor show all round IMO, but I got the impression that a lot of people had been complaining so hopefully they have taken it on board.

On the bright side, at least we have chip timing so we should avoid last weeks jingle bells timing fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

No, don't think so. More of an anti-clockwise direction. Here's my route from last year.

Can anyone confirm if the route is the same as described above??
    Tough finish up the Kyber...
    Mite join in the fun on sat!!

TJC wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the route is the same as described above??
    Tough finish up the Kyber...
    Yes, and yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I wonder how much money they've lost out on because people didn't bother due to having to go and collect the number from Leeson Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I wonder how much money they've lost out on because people didn't bother due to having to go and collect the number from Leeson Street?

Doubt they lost out on that much as most participants would be living locally in Dublin, not really advertised nationwide.
    Would really affect something like the Adidas series/Great Run though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Anyone know what I need to have to collect my race number?
    Wanted to pick it up today but forget the letter from them.

tunney wrote: »

just pop into see them - I'd say just I'd IIRC from last year

I emailed them myself to see could I do a late reg / collection from their offices. I'll be hungover / still drunk on Sat and won't be in the humour (or able) to pick up a number at 9:30 am.

If not then I'll sleep in, which itself would be a victory of sorts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I collected my race number yesterday, but didn't have any id on me. They'll ask you to fill out a form, and once that's completed, will search for it.

Whatever the fiasco about not posting out the race numbers/chips - they've had a pretty good response -with about 1500 entrants already, and a further 200 on the day.

Also the start line has been put back a bit to just inside the chapelizod gate due to garda recommendations, but they said they'll be emailing people today/tomorrow to let them know of the changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Roddy23 wrote: »
    I collected my race number yesterday, but didn't have any id on me. They'll ask you to fill out a form, and once that's completed, will search for it.

Whatever the fiasco about not posting out the race numbers/chips - they've had a pretty good response -with about 1500 entrants already, and a further 200 on the day.

Also the start line has been put back a bit to just inside the chapelizod gate due to garda recommendations, but they said they'll be emailing people today/tomorrow to let them know of the changes.

Thanks - appreciate the info, I'll collect at lunch then. Now just need to get my leg sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

Sure dont you have your slaves in your job running into aware to collect your chip your as lazy as sin ya big lump:)try wearing runners and not shoes this year when running,and i wont be going for pints the night before the race before you ask,IM sure you will break your 53 time this year fatso:P

tunney wrote: »
    Thanks - appreciate the info, I'll collect at lunch then. Now just need to get my leg sorted.

Whats up with the leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Did it last year and cant rememberif they have drinks etc at the finish.
    Anyone remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Yep they had water at the finish but not sure how much.

Looks like nice weather for Saturday as well so hopefully it will go well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Got a copy of the updated route map from a friend who picked up race no. for me. Not sure if its the quality of the photocopy or not, but there's no arrows or route marked on it. Presume its roughly same as last year, except the Start line is moved closer to St Marys Hospital, with the finish somewhere near the Papal Cross Carpark?

Presume best place to park is somewhere near Papal Cross, or would down near the Chapelizod gate be a better option?

So we going to have any (other) Boards AC singlets at the race?
    Weather doesn't seem nearly as cold as last year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I havn't looked at the course map but if it's the same as last year I'll be at the 3k mark on the runners left side with the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck to everyone doing this tomorrow, wish I could too - stupid exam :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

hoping to make it. on collection duty for herselfs xmas part later, she has said half 12 collection so if thats the case i ll hopefully drag myself out of bed at 8 in the morning and go sub 43, maybe even sub 42 altho i think thats pushing it. i ve only got to 44 in training and that was about 6 months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Just on the Aware website and saw the following:
    The start point for the race is the Acres Road, same as last year. Please note that due to health and safety concerns, An Garda Síochána has informed us that we need to move the finish line from the previously-agreed position, now making this event a 9k run.
    I'll definitely break 60 mins now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

im out. 9k run for 30e, no thanks. what use is a 9k run to me. stay in bed instead and do a long run later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭ergo

9k run?

that is ridiculous :mad:

is this true? I'm stuck in work and can't open my email due to the firewall

no mention of that when I collected my number yesterday

Edit: ok, so I've just seen it on their website

seriously, what is the point of chip timing for a 9k...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

9k - ah thats some farce - what can you benchmark a performance in 9k against!

what "health and safety concerns"? Is that something to do with traffic, or are they afraid that people will have trouble completing 10kms? pretty weird if you ask me. maybe there is a very genuine reason?

tempted now to give it a miss myself. having said that, have paid my 20 quid already....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Yeah.. just heard it confirmed that its a 9k. Seems very late in the day to be having discussions with the Gards and agreeing to shorten the route. Bad form.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭ergo

hmm, maybe some friendly Boardsie could measure out 1k from the start or finish and we could "start/finish" there...? :rolleyes:

but that's a bit difficult...I'm on nights and won't be out of work 'til the morning - hard to get motivated for 9k run now, will prob still do it though

ok, I know it's a "fun" run and all but seriously, if I had managed to get a small bit of training in for this and felt in good shape I'd be really mad.
    Also, if I'd decided to do this over the Waterford Half marathon tomorrow which I had been planning entering before minor injury struck then I'd also be pretty mad *deep breaths - it's for charity etc etc"

• Advertisement
Advertisement