Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade to 64 bit using 32 bit product key?

• 12-11-2009 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Right,
    I'm currently running Win 7 32-bit and have 8gig RAM so want to upgrade to 64-bit. I have the upgarde for Home premium (both 32 and 64 bit). However as I was running XP 32-bit I can only upgrade to Win 7 32-bit.

My question is if I install Vista 64-bit would I be able to use an official 32-bit product key to activate? I'm not sure if there is any difference between 32 and 64 bit product keys (only one product key came with my Win 7 upgrade for both 32 and 64 bit). If I could this would allow me to upgrade to Win 7 64-bit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Vyse wrote: »
    Right,
    I'm currently running Win 7 32-bit and have 8gig RAM so want to upgrade to 64-bit. I have the upgarde for Home premium (both 32 and 64 bit). However as I was running XP 32-bit I can only upgrade to Win 7 32-bit.

My question is if I install Vista 64-bit would I be able to use an official 32-bit product key to activate? I'm not sure if there is any difference between 32 and 64 bit product keys (only one product key came with my Win 7 upgrade for both 32 and 64 bit). If I could this would allow me to upgrade to Win 7 64-bit.
    You bought an upgrade which comes with both platforms. But you're saying 7 in your first paragraph, and then Vista in your second. If you do a fresh install, then it should be fine where 7 is concerned. You're right about not being able to upgrade cross-platform, so a fresh install is the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

DECEiFER wrote: »
    You bought an upgrade which comes with both platforms. But you're saying 7 in your first paragraph, and then Vista in your second. If you do a fresh install, then it should be fine where 7 is concerned. You're right about not being able to upgrade cross-platform, so a fresh install is the only way.

I'd just be using Vista 64-bit as a stepping stone to get to Win 7 64-bit. I'm going to give it a shot anyway and see how it works out for me.

Vyse wrote: »
    I'd just be using Vista 64-bit as a stepping stone to get to Win 7 64-bit. I'm going to give it a shot anyway and see how it works out for me.
    You could probably installing Vista 64-bit and upgrade to 7 within the Vista 30-day grace period. But I'm not 100% sure of this, so maybe wait for someone else to confirm? I'm not a fan of OS upgrading, so I haven't done it since Windows 98. Fresh installs all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

afair, keys are the same, discs are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Backup your docs and settings.

You choose Custom install instead of upgrade, after booting from CD.
    Use the same key.
    You'll need to reinstall everything.

• Advertisement

ressem wrote: »
    Backup your docs and settings.

You choose Custom install instead of upgrade, after booting from CD.
    Use the same key.
    You'll need to reinstall everything.
    That is always the best way. I couldn't do it any other way and feel fulfilled. :P

Advertisement