Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CISSP Q

Options
  • 12-11-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Just a simple Q about the CISSP.... Pondering doing it next year if I've time, but I'm only doing preliminary investigations at the moment... thinking of concentrating on the CCIE instead, but who knows how things will work out.

Basically I know they have a requirement for 5 years experience in the field of security, but how rigid is this?. For example I'd have way more than 5 years experience in IT, but the job title for most of them wouldn't be security related, but would have security related elements, ie setting up and maintaining firewalls, setting up and maintaining domain controllers, and other servers, and network devices within the corporate network that had to be secure, etc.

Does that count as prerequisite experience or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Id also be interested in this lads.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

You don't need work experience that is purely security related, but you need to be able to match your experience to one of the 10 domains in the common body of knowledge.

Also, the experience is meant to be doing "higher value" work. So, if your job was to enter rules into a firewall then it wouldn't count, where as if you were designing the firewall ruleset it would. One thing to point out is that ISC2 retain the right to audit you, so no lies!. That said, I don't know how often it happens.

From the sounds of your post you'd be able to put down your experience against Network Security, Access Controls and Management. One final thing to point out is that you may be able to discount one year of the experience requirement against a previous security cert. So, if in the run up to your CCIE you had completed a Cisco Security certification or something along the lines of Security+, the requirement would only be for four years, not five.

best of luck with the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Thanks for the response Briano... something to ponder over the next few months
    briano wrote: »
    One final thing to point out is that you may be able to discount one year of the experience requirement against a previous security cert. So, if in the run up to your CCIE you had completed a Cisco Security certification or something along the lines of Security+, the requirement would only be for four years, not five.

Unfortunately.. Cisco CCSP isn't listed as one of the qualifications they acknowledge :( . Kind of wierd that they accept CompTIA but not Cisco.. but there ya go

https://www.isc2.org/credential_waiver/default.aspx

Advertisement