Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4-Pin PWM CPU Fan Problem

• 12-11-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,
    I have a Fujitsu PC that is running the fan constantly at full speed and not booting up. Mabe 1 in 20 times attempted booting, it will boot when the fan starts full speed, then slow down after 3 seconds (I know this as it goes silent).

I have narrowed the problem to being either the fan or the motherboard. I know most fans have 3 pin connectors for the motherboard and that a 4 pin fan will work on a motherboard with only 3 pins. Can I put a 3 pin fan on my 4 pin motherboard though or will it look for a return on the PWM signal and still not boot up?

Cheers in Advance,

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I doubt very much that a fan is stopping the PC from booting. When you say "not booting up", where does it get stuck?

I'd be 99% sure that it's not the fan, though on one occasion for me it actually was! What's probably happening is that the machine is failing to POST, on many machines this results in the fan spinning at full whack.

There could be any number of reasons for this but failing memory or motherboard would be the two biggies. A CMOS clear might help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 doogleman

Aye, I don't really think the fan is the issue either, moreso the motherboard.

Basically the pc powers on but there is nothing on the screen, in fact the screen doesnt even come out of standby. The fan also goes full pelt (very noisy).

On the odd occasion it boots, the fan will make no noise.

It's a friends PC I was asked to fix. Believe it or not, the tower was installed in a hot press!! They said that before it went completely belly-up, the fan was constantly making a loud noise.

Going to try the fan, (got a pwm 4-wire one ordered) and otherwise will have to assume motherboard problem. :(

Advertisement