Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Bulli

Options
  • 12-11-2009 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever been???
    I believe there are 50 chefs and only 40 tables/seats/customers. the majority of chefs aren't paid for working there, knowing that what they learn there and having it on a cv will ensure work in other great eateries.
    i'd love to try the place out, just for that once in a lifetime experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

poindexter wrote: »
    i'd love to try the place out, just for that once in a lifetime experience.

lol, you say it as if you have a choice.
    It really isn't up to you. By far the most sought after reservations in the world. The fill their entire annual reservation list in less than a day. Saying its not easy to get a seat is putting it light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I think they have reservations on a lottery bases, you register and you win 2 reservations. would soooo love to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

My girlfriend told me about this. Sounds hugely like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory! Only open for 6 months of the year and then closed while the head chef secretly 'experimants' with different foods. He'd be considered an alchemist of sorts, doing things to food that isn't done anywhere else and the results are meant to be unbelievable! Every reviewer I've read have found it difficult to describe it as the food was just that good!
    I heard it operates at a loss though which I can't understand if all the chefs are working for free and the place is full every night of the week and it ain't cheap! Although amazingly, it's still cheaper than some Irish restaurants!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'd "settle" for the Fat Duck, myself :V

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I heard it operates at a loss though which I can't understand if all the chefs are working for free and the place is full every night of the week and it ain't cheap! Although amazingly, it's still cheaper than some Irish restaurants!

Some of the chefs may work for free, but not all of them. There are also a much higher ratio of staff to customers, compared to a regular restaurant. It has something like 24 chefs. And only seats 50. It's closed during the day. It's not even that expensive, 250 euro or so for the full meal (maybe 30 micro-courses) and wine. So it doesn't exactly take in a huge amount of money, and its closed half the time.

That said, the restaurant doesn't make money, but the books and all the rest do. Plus the 6 months its closed, the head chef isn't at home doing nothing, he is flying all over the place giving lectures, I'd say he is paid well for those

• Advertisement
Advertisement