Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators for this Board

• 12-11-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭

Other than Lucky and Neill3030 (who do a top job) we dont seem to get active mods interested in the board they are modding. Lucky and Neill cant be on all the time and there are fair few guys on here who are who in my opinion who should get a crack at keeping our board clean. Other topics have 4 or 5 mods who are actually interested in the topic and I cant see why we shouldn't what you think boys?

Im going to start off by throwing my candidates out there

Chucky the tree
    Eagle Eye
    Karluss
    jdivision
    Dodge

Maybe if we get a fairly decent discussion going on this we can get more active mods on board to help lucky and neill and we can send this thread to the powers that be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Do you feel the forum is inadequately moderated at present? Not meaning to be aggressive by asking that. Would just be interested in hearing why you think we need more hands on deck. I'm not necessarily against the idea, just a little surprised as I felt we were doing fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Do you feel the forum is inadequately moderated at present? Not meaning to be aggressive by asking that. Would just be interested in hearing why you think we need more hands on deck. I'm not necessarily against the idea, just a little surprised as I felt we were doing fine.

Compared to other boards yes I do. This board has gained alot more traffic than the last 12 months and right now we have only really you Moderating. Neill I know is doing his best to do it when he can but I know he is busy with College. I feel we need another dedicated Mod to this board. Someone who spends a lot of time in here. There is times that it takes a couple of days for trolls to be removed or threads merged or deleted. It can't harm the board in the long run to move someone in as a mod. This is taking nothing away from you and Neill3030 and the other 2 guys but other boards have dedicated mods I cant see any reason why this one shouldn't either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Okay. Well, we'll take comments on anything related to moderation of the forum over the next couple of days in this thread. And see where we are then.

The floor is open folks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

1st on the list, what have you been smoking tonight tallaght? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Okay. Well, we'll take comments on anything related to moderation of the forum over the next couple of days in this thread. And see where we are then.

The floor is open folks! :)
    I don't see a problem with how this board is moderated at the moment. Its not so busy that similar threads ever take over the place and trolling seems fairly minimal as far as I can see. Steady as she goes I say!!

• Advertisement

1st on the list, what have you been smoking tonight tallaght? :pac:

Well the list is in no particular order ;) But to be honest as much as me and you have had our scrapes I respect alot of what you post whether it shows or not. As well as that you like the others are on the board as much as me and I think you are as good a candidate as any on here to keep out the trolls and clean up stupid threads and merge threads where necessary etc etc :D

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I don't see a problem with how this board is moderated at the moment. Its not so busy that similar threads ever take over the place and trolling seems fairly minimal as far as I can see. Steady as she goes I say!!

To be honest Mr. Guappa how often do you visit the thread? There are times that it takes a couple of days for clean ups to happen. And lately a lot of threads could have been merged to stop cluttering it up etc etc Its not just trolling that affects the boards there has been a lot of unnecessary posts and threads pop up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

As far as I'm concerned, any frequent poster (i.e. any of tallght's list, or tallaght himself) would be fine, as there arnt too many big problems, just minor ones which could be easily dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

To be honest Mr. Guappa how often do you visit the thread? There are times that it takes a couple of days for clean ups to happen. And lately a lot of threads could have been merged to stop cluttering it up etc etc Its not just trolling that affects the boards there has been a lot of unnecessary posts and threads pop up
    I normally check in every day but probably only post 2-3 times per week. I just felt the board was fine as it is but obviously I'm not here as often as others, I guess we will see in a day or two how everyone else feels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hi Guys,

I'll be the first to admit that I don't pay near as much attention to this board as is needed, as the time requirements that have arisen in accordance with the boards increase in activity are surplus to what I can afford at present.

I have, however, made several attempts to have an additional mod empowered for this board to no avail, going back as far as August when I first realised I wouldn't be up to the task.

That said, I don't feel as if the board has descended into any form of dissaray or mayhem that is beyond reproach, most posters here have good knowledge of the game mixed with a healthy dose of passion. This is an American Football board after all, so I wouldn't expect people to be timid and courteous all the time!

Nonetheless, there have been occasions where trolls, spammers and flamers have gone unrecorded by myself and again I hold my hand up and admit this is something I will require extra assistance with.

Lloyd suggested we leave this open until Monday and see how the discussion fairs out.

All the best until then,

Neil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Si Conando

I read this forum everyday, and as far as i can see its modded fine. Tallaght, youve attempted some backseat modding as it is, with people discussing madden telling them to go to the games section, and with another poster telling him to go to the betting forum when looking for peoples opinion on which way to bet on a game. If these are the threads that would be deleted or moved, should another mod be added, id prefer to leave the board as it is now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭kev_s88

theres no problems at all at the moment with the way the modding is going...i think the lads are doing a bang up job. but as Neil said he cant be here as much as he'd like to be and it might just be a good idea to have a much more regular visitor and poster who can have the power to merge threads, or "fix" spammers... ;) and id be happy for any of the 5 mentioned by tallaght to get the job (if it comes about)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

But Madden does belong in the games section in fairness. Another thing that used to annoy me but thankfully its stopped this year is people talking about fantasy football in the weekly games thread.

Also there have been times where spam has been posted here and not looked after for at least a day if not longer.

I think one of the more regular posters as a moderator could only be a good thing. Tallaght would do a good job imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I don't see a problem in having new mods at all especially any of the aftermentioned posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

In favour of a new mod but have no interest in being one, mainly because half the time I'm on boards I'm drunk (see after hours thread I left last night)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Making me blush now Tallaghtouts. :o :pac: I'd have no problem with any of the others listed and Tallght to be mod, even a couple of others would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

IMO it takes 2 days some times for moderatinga activities to happen (as others have said earlier). Im not on here every day but 4-5 days a week and would like to think I know how this forum works. We all know the regular posters in here (Tallaght, Sea Devils, Eagle Eye, Chucky etc) so lets put one of them forward if interested

Well does anyone actually want to do it?

Well does anyone actually want to do it?

Well other than jdivision no one else suggested has said no ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Max Power1 wrote: »
    . We all know the regular posters in here (Tallaght, Sea Devils, Eagle Eye, Chucky etc) so lets put one of them forward if interested

Thanks for the nomination but I wouldn't be interested. Like I said any of the posters mentioned, i'd have no problems with although my personal favourites would be Tallaght or Eagle Eye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I was nearly going to post the exact same thread last week, to be honest. Nice one Tallaght.

I'm not too impressed with some of the posting that goes on.

One thing I will say though (and maybe the thing that stopped me posting the thread), is that you can really get into it sometimes. A lot of fora are sanitised to the point where you can hardly say boo. On here, you can kind of get into it a little bit of a row. And tbh, everyone usually ends up with no hard feelings (certainly not the ones I've disagreed with).

To that end, if there was a new mod, I'd throw my hat into Tallaghtoutlaws camp. Cos he knows how to have a good row knows the forum (& Sport) very well :D

davyjose wrote: »
    I was nearly going to post the exact same thread last week, to be honest. Nice one Tallaght.

I'm not too impressed with some of the posting that goes on.

One thing I will say though (and maybe the thing that stopped me posting the thread), is that you can really get into it sometimes. A lot of fora are sanitised to the point where you can hardly say boo. On here, you can kind of get into it a little bit of a row. And tbh, everyone usually ends up with no hard feelings (certainly not the ones I've disagreed with).

To that end, if there was a new mod, I'd throw my hat into Tallaghtoutlaws camp. Cos he knows how to have a good row knows the forum (& Sport) very well :D

WTF I don't fooking row with........... Oh wait Strike that I am sorry kind sir you may have mistaken me for another fine gentleman by the name of Tallaghtoutlaws :D

I would put tallaghtoutlaws forward aswell, he seems like a mod who wouldnt be overly fussy with regard to heated discussion, and who also has displayed knowledge of the game and a good participation level, i think the great sword of moderatorship should be placed on his shoulder

Not that I would object to Eagle Eye, Chucky or any of the other lads being mods, i think we do need a new one though

And us Colts fans are gracious enough to advocate a Patriot in power aswell ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

TBH I don't really see much of a problem with this forum at the moment. Maybe another mod would react quicker to the odd thing but I don't think it would improve the place too much. So my vote is to keep it as it is. Too many cooks and all that...

If there has to be a new mod my vote goes to Eagle Eye or Chucky the Tree. I seem to argue with tallaghtoutlaws a lot so I don't think it would work out too well for me if he was the mod.:P

Although, I presume tallaghtoutlaws doesn't want to do it or he wouldn't have started a thread about us needing another mod and left his name conspicously off the list... or would he??!;)

TBH I don't really see much of a problem with this forum at the moment. Maybe another mod would react quicker to the odd thing but I don't think it would improve the place too much. So my vote is to keep it as it is. Too many cooks and all that...

If there has to be a new mod my vote goes to Eagle Eye or Chucky the Tree. I seem to argue with tallaghtoutlaws a lot so I don't think it would work out too well for me if he was the mod.:P

Although, I presume tallaghtoutlaws doesn't want to do it or he wouldn't have started a thread about us needing another mod and left his name conspicously off the list... or would he??!;)

We only ever argued twice :D And why wouldn't it work out too well for you? Whoever mods isn't going to start banning you or deleting posts or warning you over debating and arguing football points in which we have done.

As for starting the thread it was to make aware to the other powers that be that there is a few guys in here including myself who can do the job. It gives them options if they decide to go with a new mod who is in here a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

didnt even make the list :(

id support more mods, if just to lessen the load on those already doing the job

of course i would be willing to throw my hat into the ring also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kryogen wrote: »
    didnt even make the list :(

id support more mods, if just to lessen the load on those already doing the job

of course i would be willing to throw my hat into the ring also.

I'll vote for ya! :)
    But I don't have a vote

As a regular user of the board I can't say I've come across any issues, trolling or messed up threads
    Lots of arguments but that's all good fun :P

I suppose that's a good thing, a forum that runs well shouldn't need active moderation. I didn't think it needed new moderators but go ahead if it needs that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yeah i am inclined to agree that this board is pretty civil most of the time and aot of self moderation happens!

i dont post here as much anymore, but i check in every day when im on! its very rare to see a nasty dispute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

We only ever argued twice :D And why wouldn't it work out too well for you? Whoever mods isn't going to start banning you or deleting posts or warning you over debating and arguing football points in which we have done.

Twas a joke. ;)

• Advertisement

Twas a joke. ;)

Yeah I realised that today :D Me and jokes and sarcasm were not on the same page last night after the shocking Irish performance in Croker haha

Advertisement