Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators for this Board

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Read these boards pretty often though not posting a lot. Don't think it needs more modding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Don't think there's much more modding needed either but if it's decided that there is gonna be someone else then tallaght is a good choice. Good poster and knows his stuff. I'd be happy to show any newbie the modding ropes if the other lads are busy with real life stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Sydney Steelers

It's pretty obvious that Tallaght only started this thread so that he could get a moderating position for himself.

To be honest, I feel that he would be a poor choice. He is quite a polarising character on this forum, and adopts an incredibly arrogant attitude towards posters that have a lower post count (sorry to break it to you buddy but having a high post count does not equate to a higher knowledge about the sport). I feel that making him a Mod would lead to megalomania of epic proportions.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

adopts an incredibly arrogant attitude towards posters that have a lower post count

It'll be interesting to see if you can provide any quotes/ examples of where that's happened. Seems like an unfounded accusation to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Might just be my libertarian leanings but I really don't think this board needs any additional moderation. I posted on the Self Defence & Martial Arts board for many years involved in countless bitter disputes and I can safely say that I've seen little or nothing here that requires very much modding. I do think that when a poster becomes a mod then they can become slightly detached from the community they are posting within.

Unless we have spamming or mega trolling let the community mod itself. Having a wee bit of trolling can be fun and there aren't very many new threads here per day.

Just my opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'd second that horse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

what you think boys?
    Boys? Bad B!ue sticks tongue out and blows raspberries at tallaghtoutlaws!

Personally, I think that LuckyLloyd has done an outstanding job as a mod for the American Football forum, being very responsible and responsive, while at the same time letting us rant a bit on occasion (or get off track with cheerleader pics and the like).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Tristram wrote: »
    Read these boards pretty often though not posting a lot. Don't think it needs more modding.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

It's pretty obvious that Tallaght only started this thread so that he could get a moderating position for himself.

To be honest, I feel that he would be a poor choice. He is quite a polarising character on this forum, and adopts an incredibly arrogant attitude towards posters that have a lower post count (sorry to break it to you buddy but having a high post count does not equate to a higher knowledge about the sport). I feel that making him a Mod would lead to megalomania of epic proportions.

I agree that this definitely does occur on this forum, but tallaght isnt one of the instigators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Good man for accusing me. You say I talk down to lower count posters and then you post something like the above. Irony is lost in your whole post. As for trying to get the Mod all to myself do you think I would bother suggesting the other lads who post on here regularly also? They are as good as candidates as me if not better. So before you accuse and fling mud stop and think about it first.

As for the arrogant bit I don't know where to begin with that than to laugh at it. If you knew me you would know why. You truly brightened my day good man and thank you.:D

Oh and to add the only run in I ever had with you was here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58662655#post58662655

And not once did I talk down to you and in fact you tried to talk down to me if i'm not mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just read that thread there, two things, firstly I am surprised sydney did not get banned there as LuckyLloyd would not take kindly to that either, and you and Lloyd have a lot in common, Tallaght and UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just read that thread there, two things, firstly I am surprised sydney did not get banned there

Here, here. We're all here to post about a sport that clearly we all love, not to smacktalk one other with bullsh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just read that thread there, two things, firstly I am surprised sydney did not get banned there as LuckyLloyd would not take kindly to that either, and you and Lloyd have a lot in common, Tallaght and UCD.
    tbh he was lucky to not be banned for that.

Simple equation
    Low postcount + Recent Joindate + Harassing posts = TROLLING

It seems that insults can be kept on the right side of the law by the simple addition of a ":D" or several, for extra effect.

I do see sydney steelers as having a valid argument about occasional condescending behaviour directed towards lower-count posters by veterans, but he didnt go about conveying it very well to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

It seems that insults can be kept on the right side of the law by the simple addition of a ":D" or several, for extra effect.

I do see sydney steelers as having a valid argument about occasional condescending behaviour directed towards lower-count posters by veterans, but he didnt go about conveying it very well to be fair.

CB, I have to disagree. The fact is, that this forum has a few people (maybe 20) who post regularly. That's probably due to the fact that the sport is in the minority here, so those of us that use boards regularly and love football, amount to the people who regularly go on here. You can't punish us for that. As with any small forum, cliques form. But there's nobody here who has ever been stopped being a part of the conversation

Another thing is, I've gotten into it here with many posters (not sure me and eagle eye have ever agreed on anything - other than Tebow - lol), but I don't carry a chip on my shoulder about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd agree that only a small number of posters post here, it's isn't a busy forum at all.
    I'd recognize most of regulars at this stage even if they wouldn't recognize me

I've never noticed demeaning posts to new posters. I've started several threads here and all went fine.

I didn't think this forum needed more moderators but after reading this thread, possibly it does

davyjose wrote: »
    CB, I have to disagree. The fact is, that this forum has a few people (maybe 20) who post regularly. That's probably due to the fact that the sport is in the minority here, so those of us that use boards regularly and love football, amount to the people who regularly go on here. You can't punish us for that. As with any small forum, cliques form. But there's nobody here who has ever been stopped being a part of the conversation

Another thing is, I've gotten into it here with many posters (not sure me and eagle eye have ever agreed on anything - other than Tebow - lol), but I don't carry a chip on my shoulder about it.

it's funny how the guys with 16 posts are the guys who make statements like "irrelevant, delete immediately", and yet turn around and have a go at other posters like TO for his "polarising statements". A bit pathetic tbh.

I think I've been slightly misunderstood :( the point of my post was more to outline the way the manner of Sydney Steeler's argument (i.e. slurs and attempted character assassination) detracted all credibility from the argument itself.

As in my earlier post on this thread, I will say that I have occasionally seen posters adopting "arrogant" (as SS put it) attitudes towards newbies, but I stress that I have not seen this occurring (with any poster) to such an extent, or with such regularity, that i felt the need to raise it.

I was saying that if this was what SS was talking about, Tallaght wasn't one who I've ever seen as condescending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I can definitly say that I have never felt belittled by anyone here even though I have a low post and didn't really start to use boards until a few months ago. For the vast majority of the time we all have reasoned arguments and a good discussion I've learned alot from some of the posters here, hopefullt thought someone something at some point or another, and I hope that we all feel the same otherwise its pointless spending the time we do here.

As far as the original topic as for mods, I don't think anything drastic needs to be done but Lloyd could probably do with a hand now seeing as he is effectivly the only mod for this forum because of Neil's committments so can we can draw a line in the sand in this thread and just get any of the lads mentioned beforehand appointed as it seems that all of us regular posters/visitors agree that each is acceptable to us

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

I don't think there is a major problem with modding on this forum, however in my opinion on boards.ie as a whole there is a bit of a "Your a noob wtf do you know" attitude, i think this is prevalent on all the forum's here some more so than others, try and remember guys that we all started with 0 posts at some stage. But IMHO its less of a problem in this forum than in others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sydney Steelers has been given a well earned two week ban from the forum. Hopefully his mood will lighten somewhat upon his return. I'm going to remove some rubbish from the thread now.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. We will add an extra moderator and are currently discussing it with the powers that be. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't think there is a major problem with modding on this forum, however in my opinion on boards.ie as a whole there is a bit of a "Your a noob wtf do you know" attitude, i think this is prevalent on all the forum's here some more so than others, try and remember guys that we all started with 0 posts at some stage. But IMHO its less of a problem in this forum than in others.

I'd just like to quickly add a comment on this. As some of you will be aware, moderating two large forums like Poker and Soccer does command a fair amount of my boards.ie time. As a consequence, I don't get to read every post on this (or any forum I mod) forum.

I do believe we have a very good group here, and have a generally high and civil standard of debate and discussion. However, if someone ever feels uncomfortable with a post please use the report button so that we won't miss it (any mod of this forum will be emailed a link to the post so that we can check it out). Reporting something rather than derailing a thread can be the most effective way to take the sting out of something - particularly in a small community like this.

Cheers.

Advertisement