Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very silly question about reading tab...

Options
  • 12-11-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

there's a bit in a mick flannery song goes like this

E|
    |
    B|---3-0
    3-0
    |
    G|
    2-0
    2-0-|
    D|
    |
    A|
    0h2
    |
    E|-0
    |

and i'm just wondering how to play the bit with the hammer on two, would i strike the top two strings then just hammer down on the second fret?! sounds kinda right but doesn't seem to make sense as the way i read it i've to play the top string open while hammering the second fret/second string.. (confusion!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

kujosHeist wrote: »
    there's a bit in a mick flannery song goes like this

E|
    |
    B|---3-0
    3-0
    |
    G|
    2-0
    2-0-|
    D|
    |
    A|
    0h2
    |
    E|-0
    |

and i'm just wondering how to play the bit with the hammer on two, would i strike the top two strings then just hammer down on the second fret?! sounds kinda right but doesn't seem to make sense as the way i read it i've to play the top string open while hammering the second fret/second string.. (confusion!)

If the tab came out right on the screen as its supposed to be (which looks like you don't play the two strings at once but you play the A string first and then the E) then for the 0h2 bit, you fist play the A string open and then hammer onto the 2nd fret and then play the open E (probably while hammering onto the 2nd fret on the A string).

If you have a link to the tab, I could maybe explain you better as I'm not sure if what you typed there came out right on my screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Neal_B

that's a tricky little technique, tommy emanuel uses it a lot. It will probably sound right either way but you should learn how to do it the way af_thefragile explained for fun if not anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kujosHeist

ya sorry here's the link http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/mick_flannery/evening_train_album_crd.htm

its the fill on the 10th song on it called in the gutter,

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Yep just hit the two zeros and then hammer onto the 2nd fret, the tab is a bit wrong, the "2" shouldnt really be over the "0", the two zeros should be together and the "2" should be after.

did that make sense??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kujosHeist

yeah thought so cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement