Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice traps

Options
  • 12-11-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

me and the housemates decided on humane mousetraps and to relocate the mice which have visted us. i personally dont mind them, in fact i have one who made her nest down the end of my bed her name is rupert(she was very big and i thought she was male). Today there are the lethal mouse traps all over the house and 6 dead mice. i havent seen rupert since yesterday, usually she sits at the end of my bed and i feed her garlic bread. my qs is this
    what do i do? i want to break them but its destruction of property. Didnt really know where to put this post so feel free to relocate. Also talking it out isnt an option. housemate just blinks at you with complete stupidity....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Wild mice can carry disease and tbh it's perfectly normal for anyone to want to be rid of a rodent problem. I have kept rodents as pets (gerbils hamsters etc) but I would not have wild ones running around the house.
    I think it would be unreasonable for you to expect your housemate to tolerate having a mouse problem.
    Tbh I actually think the wooden snap=traps are the kindest, they kill instantly.
    The sticky traps are extremely cruel, the mouse can rip its skin on them and some will gnaw at their own bodies in an effort to escape. Also the "humane" ones that you mention sound good but a lot of people will not want to carry a wild mouse the distance required to stop it finding it's way back to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have put the tip up live traps in friends houses many times. They are cheap & work well (chocolate is best). Most people have a bit of waste or natural ground nearby so it's easy to release.

Why kill if you don't have to ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just replace all the snap traps with humane ones but say nothing to your housemate. Just bear in mind that you'll need to release the mice at least a mile and a half away to make sure they don't find their way back. I'd also recommend trying to find where they're coming into the house and block it up, otherwise you'll end up with another infestation in a few months.

I can totally sympathise - we live in a semi-rural location and our back door is open all day due to having three dogs, so we always get mice coming in to nest at this time of year. For what it's worth, I find pieces of Mars bar to be the best bait for them. I'm like you, I think they're dead cute, but unfortunately they can cause massive problems if they get into the wiring, not to mention the hygiene issues, so they have to go. But, like you, I don't agree with killing them.

And, as an aside, can you even still buy glue traps??? Fcuking things are barbaric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Not sure how effective they are, but those things you plug into the wall and send off some high pitched noise are supposed to keep rodents away.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

they arent the wire/woodem ones these are plastic clip ones. she bought the things that plug into the wall but refuses to use them, her reasoning being that we have to kill them all first... we had agreed on humane traps that i would empty at the right distance. i wouldnt mind if the problem hadnt been discussed but it had, it would be a different story if these things just appeared but thats not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You could try a bit of subterfuge. Whenever they set traps just take the bait off when no ones looking or set off the trap. After a few days of catching nothing tell them that you want to try live traps as you have heard that they are more successful. Then use chocolate !

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

raqts and mice carry weils disease (sorry if its not spelled right ), well i knwo rats have it but im sure mice do too. Either way wild mice carry disease, some nasty ones..and if you are the chiaki i think you are then you should know that mice and rats are prolific breeders. If you see one theres atleast 10 - 20 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Not sure how effective they are, but those things you plug into the wall and send off some high pitched noise are supposed to keep rodents away.

I used this in my salon - I opened November last year and up until 4 months ago it was still a semi building site! I have never had any in or around the salon, even though it is a new building.

We also have these at home, we moved into our house six years ago and the first two years we had loads (we live in the sticks) then the third winter we got three of these due to the size of the house and have never had any! :D

Good luck OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

we tried this last year, useless, only work in a house with no mice and where the mice run across the floors in front of them, the "noise" does not penetrate walls or skirting, so if the mice are in the skirting they don't care about the "noise" we ended up with "snap" traps, think i caught 6 or so in the end of it, and they are back this year - probably cos we have puppies and there food in the back garden and shed at the moment, great - war starts again. Don't get me wrong, I used to keep mice as a kid and think they are lovely, but not when they are chewing my house.

rats can pass on leptospirosis (weils), its carried in their kidneys, mice cant. mice dont carry that many diseases oddly enough! i decided to move out, its an ongoing problem in that house ide say because we had fields for a back garden so it would have been an ongoing battle. Besides karma wins out in the end, im hoping the crazy cat woman death except with mice :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Just wait till they start breeding and then destroying your electrics etc. Wild mice don't belong in people's houses and I've tried the humane traps but they never worked for me.

Don't like killing them but I spent a lot of money re-wiring my house and I've no intention of doing so again because of mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I know it's probably a bit late, but these don't work at all. I had a mouse in my room for a bit and after it was gone, I bought 2 of the plugs, and they didn't work at all. Once the weather got cold I had another mouse in the room who continued to run around it in the middle of the night, including beside where the plug was.

Traps are the best solution, unless you have a cat who you are willing to allow catch the mice in the house (which is messy and not very pleasant at all! :(). If buying traps, go for the most expensive you can afford as they tend to be better. I've seen a few 'cheap' traps not snap properly, leaving a horrible situation. If you prefer, use humane traps, but, as mentioned above, you have to be willing to release the mice quite a distance from the house; otherwise they'll just come back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just a tip with the humane ones, if you don't check them very regularly the mouse usually dies from stress..a slower death than a regular mouse trap.
    So check them throughout the night if you get the humane ones.
    Then once you do you need to drive a few miles to drop mousie off somewhere else.

Also check around the house, drain pipes, holes in walls etc. to see how they are getting in, prevention is better than cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When we had a plague of mice, they used to escape from the humane traps after eating the bait.

In that instance we had to use traps and poison. There were so many of them.

Now the cats and dogs we have deal with any that come near; we are rural and so that includes rats....

They do so much damage as well as carrying disease.

Just a tip with the humane ones, if you don't check them very regularly the mouse usually dies from stress..a slower death than a regular mouse trap.
    So check them throughout the night if you get the humane ones.
    Then once you do you need to drive a few miles to drop mousie off somewhere else.

Also check around the house, drain pipes, holes in walls etc. to see how they are getting in, prevention is better than cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I had mice in the house around 10 years back. Caught them in a humane trap and released them a few miles away.
    Now I have two cats... no more mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We had eleven cats at that time.. Just they were not in the right room at the right time.. and th emice were extremely clever; used to open the oven to find them dancing in the frying pan.. One had sat in the printer and let me pick it up; when I released it outside it must have told all its relatives how kind I was.....

Now the cats and JRT are in charge. No more mice.
    tallus wrote: »
    I had mice in the house around 10 years back. Caught them in a humane trap and released them a few miles away.
    Now I have two cats... no more mice.

lol we have 4 cats in my mams house, havent seen a mouse since we moved in!! best mice deterrants going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

aggghhhh! am getting the heebies just READING this! Lived in Holland for years - amsterdam infested with mice.:eek:

The sonar machines are less than useless...don't waste your money. Can you find out where they are coming into your house (try behind the oven...)? If a pencil can fit thru, so can a mouse. Anyway, if you do find the spot, plug it with steel wool, the fine stuff, you can get it from Woodies. They don't like the feel of the wool on their noses.....maybe they'll head next door instead.

You are very kind to think of humane traps.......BUT, be careful....they are pregnant for only 3 week and can have a litter of up to 10....not long before they divide and conquer. Good luck!

Advertisement