Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone broadband VERY slow after 6 in Stillorgan (Priory Park Exchange)

• 12-11-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Installed vodafones huawei gateway last night and everything went well during installation and got a steady 2600kbps for my 3 meg connection during the afternoon. Last evening that dropped to

619656386.png

Tonight the reading is

620762702.png

However, this morning and afternoon the reading was a nice

620093739.png

Im in Stillorgan, anyone else having this problem in and around or any area? It sounds to me like it has to be a contention issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Check:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055690091&highlight=ADSL+Slow+evenings&page=2

Post #25 by me. Vodafone, BT, UTV, it doesn't matter. It may apply to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vico1612

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Always name the exchange if there is a persistent problem , these problems are most often caused by lack of backhaul and eircom does keep an eye on Boards and upgrades them...eventually .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

why dont you just walk down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

Ok thanks for the info. I used to have adsl with BT but 3 years ago switched to wireless but now have had to switch back. Since i never had any problems with the adsl before (performance wise, but BT billing was another story) i assumed it would be ok without reading up here and other places first, bad mistake on my part it seems. This is the worst BB ive ever seen (after 6) but in the morning and afternoon it seems fine. Basically, i could live with a 3 meg service that drops to say 1 meg after 6 but is still fully usable as broadband. But this has not been the case the 2 nights ive tried to use this. Even attempting to check my speed at speedtest can require many refreshes and more ofter than not the white text page loads with no functions. This happen with a lot of web pages and any site with any decent content just hangs. Im very disappointed.

So whos fault is this can i ask? If i moved from vodafone to another provider providing adsl in stillorgan will i have the same problems or will it be better does anyone know? At the moment for me the service is unacceptably after 6, which is when it will be used for the most part in this house.

Last thing, im only 3 days into my 12 month vodafone contract but the service after 6 is so hopeless as to make this impossible, any advice on how i should handle this with vodafone, will i have to go to comreg with this? Thanks

btw, surely there must be people in the stillorgan area and whatever exchange we are on that are getting a good broadband service somewhere. I think i have a lot of investagating to do. It all takes time but i cant believe that my bb service is so much worse now than ive ever seen it, its a shocker. :eek:

• Advertisement

samhail wrote: »
    why dont you just walk down the road

Thanks for that, ive often walked down the road but its done nothing for my broadband

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Do you know what the exchange is?

It sounds like typical contention, anyone who you go with in the area for adsl is going to end up with the same issue as you use the same eircom bitstream infrastructure, unless the exchange has been unbundled (LLU)

Just found out im on the priory park exchange

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

edit your first post an put Priory Park at the end of the thread title ( press Go Advanced when in edit mode ) catches eyes .

Thanks for the tip Sponge Bob. I've PM'ed Vodafone Paul over at the vodafone boards forum. Not that im expecting a magic wand or anything but am interested in what he has to say. My speed is just about as expected this evening

621682236.png

I wonder why i keep getting killed when i try to play this online game hhhhmmm and whats this half loaded web page doing now, oh nothing actually because its stuck again. I think ill hit F5 and get a cup of tea now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm on Priory Exchange too and just got this:

621728727.png

3Mb connection

I reckon I'm on the extreme end of the connection, almost in the industrial estate

Repeated again - upload is terrible!

621732981.png

Huh, Homer i dont get it! What modem/router/gateway are you using? Im using the white with red trim Huawei gateway. Thanks for that information. I just assumed with my connection being pretty good morning and afternoon and useless in the evenings that lots of people going through Priory Park would be having similar problems, but maybe thats not the case and the problem lies somewhere else.

When you say the industrial estate do you mean the Sandyford industrial estate? Im only a 10 minute walk from that. You can see where i live standing at the Stillorgan Luas stop.

I've also tried my very old Zyxel Prestige 630 i had with BT and the result is the same for me

I'm currently using a wireless connection to my old eircom netopia router with an upgraded aerial (due to the distance between the PC and the router)

I tried the Vodafone provided ZyXEL router (model P-666...) but didnt find it had sufficient range for my wireless setup

I'm a similar distance from Stillorgan Luas..

Ok, thanks for that homer. Decided to give voda tech support another go and put it to them that someone on the same exchange and geographically very close to me is not suffering large speed drops in the evening. Got a guy who has given me dns addresses to imput manually to see if that improves things. He also mentioned that the contention ration for the 7 meg service is half that of the 3 meg service. By any chance are you on the 7 meg service? It seems unlikely by your speed test results. If i still have problems he suggested i get a wide spread of speedtest results and email them to him showing the differences and times.

EDIT: just saw you mentioned you are on the 3 meg connection in a previous post

Yes, definitely 3Mb. Let us know how you get on with the alternative DNS addresses. When I switched to the netopia router I just entered the correct password, so dont know if that means I would be on different DNS settings to you

Yes ill keep you all updated.

Just logged on sunday evening to get an average. Have a look at the ping on these results

623611525.png

623608023.png

Ouch

Ok, the situation now is that my speed and service is now very good evening time. I was bumped up to the 7 meg package and my contention ratio reduced and the connection now is a stable

626845272.png

A few obsevations on it. Dealing with Vodafone is a lot easier than dealing with my last adsl provider, BT. The first time i rang tech support i was given the story about contention ratios and other factors with the end result being that there was nothing that can be done about it at the moment and to do our downloading off peak times. The second call was basically the same. Kept pushing and sending them in speedtest results. Got on to Vodafone Paul on boards who is responsive and in the end it was himself who helped me get the broadband working evening time. So a thankyou to him is in order.

Changing the DNS addresses did nothing for me. Also thanks to the responders to my threads on boards who really help with information. At the end of the day there may be different reasons for slow and non existant broadband but there are also situations where things can be done to improve it but you only get it done if you keep pushing for it. Taking what they tell you on the first few contacts is not necessarily correct.

I have a friend on the same exchange with Eircom, apparently the exchange was upgraded a couple of days ago so it's nothing to do with either BT or Vodafone about the change in speeds.

devnull wrote: »
    I have a friend on the same exchange with Eircom, apparently the exchange was upgraded a couple of days ago so it's nothing to do with either BT or Vodafone about the change in speeds.

I see. Ok thanks for that info. Thats a coincidence then and it seems a good one for me and i persume others on the exchange.

Just rang up eircom to see if i could get more info. I was only taking to a fault operator but she had no info or knowledge of the upgrade and said as far as she knew eircom were only enabling exchanges to take broadband and not doing upgrade work on existing broadband exchanges at the moment. Of course she just may not have been aware of upgrades but has anyone else heard of a recent upgrade to priory park and has it affected service for you?

Still the same for me Sapele...

• Advertisement

homer911 wrote: »
    Still the same for me Sapele...
    What exchange are you on?

Advertisement