Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend on Groceries?

Options
  • 12-11-2009 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

Hi,
    New to this section of the forum so hopefully this has been posted in the correct area.

Just wondering how much other people spend on groceries (food) & household stuff (i.e. wash powder etc) each week?

Myself & boyfriend, both early thirties spend roughly 120 Euro a week, is this average or a bit high?

We shop in Tescos, Supervalu and occasionally Marks & Spencer.
    I don’t like the fruit and Veg in Lidl as with just two of us it tends to go off before we get a chance to eat it.

Ok
    • Him - Carnivore (regular meat and free range chicken)
    • Me - Eat fish and free range chicken only
    • Eggs - Free range
    • Organic - only by chance i.e. if something like organic or fairtrade bananas/coffee for example catch my eye I’ll put it in the trolley
    • Brand Loyality - like my Heinz, Kellogs, Brennans Bread etc., another reason why I don't shop in Lidl
    • Junk - trying to cutdown on the chocolate / crisp offers – I’m no longer going down that aisle as when it comes to high fat / high sugar and a half price sticker – I’m powerless
    • Pets - 1 cat, fed on regular catfood, own brand litter and own brand cat crunchies (she prefers them)
    • Alcohol – Rarely
    • Smokers – No
    • Lunches – we both bring our own lunches to work
    • Convenience Foods – Just pizza, I like cooking so don’t mind making from scratch

Thanks – just curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭furiousox

We (2 adults + 2 kids aged 9 & 6) spend around 100/120 euro per week on groceries in Dunnes.
    I think if you're both earning and you don't have kids you just buy whatever takes your fancy (we did!), maybe more price conscious when 'weekly family budget' becomes an issue, would love to shop in Marks but not a runner for us :(

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

Thanks - Only shop once a month is M & S and it's on a "dine in" week offer.

Generally it's Tescos - with small stuff (extra milk/bread) picked up from local Supervalu.

Yeah sorry, wasn't a dig.
    What l meant was, it would be nice to go into marks every week and just throw whatever looks nice into the trolley.
    Sadly, weekly shopping bill would increase from 120 to 420!

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

M&S have a fantastic dine for 2 offer every second Thursday

Main course for two, side dish, dessert and a bottle of wine (or bottled water) for €12.50

Other then that I couldn't afford to go there too often :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭marinbike

Hi,
    New to this section of the forum so hopefully this has been posted in the correct area.

Just wondering how much other people spend on groceries (food) & household stuff (i.e. wash powder etc) each week?

Myself & boyfriend, both early thirties spend roughly 120 Euro a week, is this average or a bit high?

I don’t like the fruit and Veg in Lidl as with just two of us it tends to go off before we get a chance to eat it.

Ok
    • Eggs - Free range
    • Organic - only by chance i.e. if something like organic or fairtrade bananas/coffee for example catch my eye I’ll put it in the trolley
    • Brand Loyality - like my Heinz, Kellogs, Brennans Bread etc., another reason why I don't shop in Lidl
    • Junk - trying to cutdown on the chocolate / crisp offers – I’m no longer going down that aisle as when it comes to high fat / high sugar and a half price sticker – I’m powerless
    • Pets - 1 cat, fed on regular catfood, own brand litter and own brand cat crunchies (she prefers them)
    • Alcohol – Rarely
    • Smokers – No
    • Convenience Foods – Just pizza, I like cooking so don’t mind making from scratch

Thanks – just curious

Seems like a little more than average. me and my girlfriend would spend €95 a week.

Probably because you appear to be shopping in the most expensive grocers (i.e. Marks & Spencer & Supervalu). Tesco can be seen as the same because they are now increasing their prices.

Why not Lidl or Aldi?

Better still, a shopping trip up in the north saves you a lot because they rip off customers down here. I will be doing all of my christmas shopping in Asda Enniskillen and Lidl/Aldi up north also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

marinbike wrote: »

Better still, a shopping trip up in the north saves you a lot because they rip off customers down here. I will be doing all of my christmas shopping in Asda Enniskillen and Lidl/Aldi up north also.

True but if you live in Munster then what you spend on fuel can be more then the savings. Unless you buy a collasal amount of stuff and even then, it's hours and hours of driving.
    But if you're close to the border you'd be mad not to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭pcardin

Hi,

Ok
    • Eggs - Free range
    • Alcohol – Rarely
    • Smokers – No
    • Convenience Foods – Just pizza, I like cooking so don't mind making from scratch

Thanks – just curious

M&S is expensive shop but very good. SuperValu however is a typical rip off selling sh1t for SUUUPER BIG MONEY to the people with a problems or no understanding in simple mathematics. Tesco is just a horrible place to go. Always dirty and smelly. Your comments about the Lidl are hilarious! :))) At least I understand how such a RIP OFF shops like SuperValue, Centra or SuperQuinn can still exist :)

I do the bulk of my shopping once a month to buy bags of frozen veg, dinner-items, pasta, and fruit bread milk cereal yogurts tons of cans of spaghetti, all the usual stuff. Maybe some extras. Last time I got some yummy scampi, the most expensive item in my list :D
    It costs about 70-90 euro for the "big shop", fills my press and fridge and freezer.

During the month I will "top up" a few times with bread and milk etc but on average I can't imagine I spend more than 150 a month max on that kind of stuff. I don't necessarily go for the cheapest stuff either, just what looks nice balanced with cost.

I can't imagine how you're spending 120 a week, that sounds completely off the wall. :confused::eek:

(oh I do all my shopping in tescos)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

OP,

tbh I think you're doing fairly ok there; what you're spending sounds quite reasonable and how you shop/what you buy relatively sorted and tradeoffs made where possible.

I find it's the sweet and sugary stuff are the most expensive of all so it's great that you're staying away from it.

Just a suggestion - if you're not currently buying your meat from a butchers, may be worth a look to see what offers they have or deals they offer; same with fishmongers.

OP,

tbh I think you're doing fairly ok there; what you're spending sounds quite reasonable and how you shop/what you buy relatively sorted and tradeoffs made where possible.

500 euro a month sounds reasonable? Am I living in some parallel universe? You must be joking? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

bluewolf wrote: »
    500 euro a month sounds reasonable? Am I living in some parallel universe? You must be joking? :confused:

For what they're buying its good and for where they're shopping. Branded products are the most expensive along with organic food ie pay more for perceived higher quality items.

If you're following the price cut rotation correctly you can save as well as shopping around, you'll find plenty of differences between the different supermarkets.

It's all about what you're buying as well.

furiousox wrote: »
    Yeah sorry, wasn't a dig

I never for one moment thought the above. (just trying to clarify my first posting) - your very kind for even mentioning it.

Even us on 2 incomes and no kids couldn’t afford to shop every week in M & S but then again if I won the lotto or got someone else to pay my mortgage . . . . . . .

OP,

I find it's the sweet and sugary stuff are the most expensive of all so it's great that you're staying away from it.

Just a suggestion - if you're not currently buying your meat from a butchers, may be worth a look to see what offers they have or deals they offer; same with fishmongers.

Totally agree if we take this aisle out of the equation we’ll save 20 Euro straight off, seriously we would spend a fair amount on junk i.e. Fizzy drinks, crisp and chocolates – all empty calories and bad for your health
    Or
    as Dr Gillian or just plain old Gillian as she is know as nowadays would say "you have a fat tooth"

Also going to source out a local fishmongers, a lady in work tells me of the great deals she gets from hers in Howth.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions & comments, don’t feel too bad now.

Going to eliminate the high fat / high sugar aisle and save 20 Euro straight off so aiming for a weekly shop of 100 Euro from here on in.

Enjoy your weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

I think 120 is very resonable really, our shopping is around 150 per week in dunnes, lidl and butchers for 2 adults and a toddler

bluewolf wrote: »
    I do the bulk of my shopping once a month to buy bags of frozen veg, dinner-items, pasta, and fruit bread milk cereal yogurts tons of cans of spaghetti, all the usual stuff. Maybe some extras. Last time I got some yummy scampi, the most expensive item in my list :D
    It costs about 70-90 euro for the "big shop", fills my press and fridge and freezer.

During the month I will "top up" a few times with bread and milk etc but on average I can't imagine I spend more than 150 a month max on that kind of stuff. I don't necessarily go for the cheapest stuff either, just what looks nice balanced with cost.

I can't imagine how you're spending 120 a week, that sounds completely off the wall. :confused::eek:

(oh I do all my shopping in tescos)

But are you shopping for one or for two?

CPL 593H

KK Mick, Sounds ok, Nappies ain't cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

About same as me and the oh we spend aroung 80 a week in tesco's with the meat from the butchers beside it. We don't cook weekends though so eating out/takeaway makes it the same if not more than yours.

furiousox wrote: »
    But are you shopping for one or for two?

I am shopping for one, but even a max of 150 x 2 is far less than 500 :)
    OH spends less than I do as well I believe.

anyway i've said my piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

just me and my husband. Spend roughly 200-250 euro per month on grocery shopping excluding eating out and non-edible stuff. So that's basically all the cooking ingredients like meet, veg, starchy stuff etc.
    I know that coz we keep monthly accounts :D

Don't have much brand loyalty - if it tastes good, made from the right ingredients and does it's job I don't give a flying f**k what company made it.

However there are some things that I'm particularly attached to like Lidl organic ketchup in glass bottles. I actually like it enough that I will not buy other types unless I'm stuck.

have a baby on the way so that might change, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

saving money on every day items and doing everyday things is the hardest part. We can all save few bob here and there when buying big things. I run a site dedicated to saving you cash in weird ways that you'd never even think of.

It's www.artofstinginess.com

Let me know what you think :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I spend approx €75 on a big shop once a week, that would be Aldi, Dunnes, and Lidl. All close to each other so I can do it in one trip. That would include meat for the week, veggies, tins, cat food, frozen food stuff, lunch stuff for the kids and a couple of treats. Would spend another €25 or so on milk, bread and other things that I might need during the week. I am not a brand snob, so would go for what ever is on special offer or own brand. I am also not embarassed to admit that I have a look in the reduced to clear section aswell and we haven't gotten ill (or died) from consuming food from there. We are not loo roll snobs either and the 55c 4 roll cheapy pack does the job fine:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

In my household there's two adults and 3 children so could easily spend 150-180 a week by going to Dunnes stores but recently have being shopping in tescos and find its a great difference.

shopping always cheaper when you dont have to by washing powder, dishwasher tabs, nappies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

Ok,maybe its not rip off in Ireland after all, everytime i am home i notice the great prices in Tesco´s and what ye are saying here confirms my thinking. Here in Finland i shop in Lidl and a shop called Prisma which would be comparable to a Dunnes or Tesco and for a family of two adults and two kids aged 5 and 3, we would have no change from 200€ a week.
    This is not by any means extravagent living it really does cost a lot more here for the basics, and before Lidl came here 4 or five years ago it was much worse before the competition from Lidl forced the home grown cartel to lower their prices...so remember its not always greener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i spend on average €70 for me and my 5yr old. i shop in dunnes, but i used to shop in tesco, it was about €20 more. on a week that i've run out of everything the shopping would pop up to €90.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

about 150, a week, but some weeks we have a cheap week where we will only spend about 50 on fresh things towards the end of the month. There are three of us and I bring my lunch in every day so although it seems expensive we dont eat out a lot. I blame the stupid free range chicken, i would say that costs along over 20 a week, I also eat a lot of fish which is not cheap so I dont think 120 between two is too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i spend on average €70 for me and my 5yr old. i shop in dunnes, but i used to shop in tesco, it was about €20 more.
    Thats strange, depends on the products I suppose. I shop in lidl/dunnes/tesco and get different things in each.

My biggest tip goes against advice of old - I do NOT bring a shopping list, I generally buy what is on offer. In tesco the best offers are NOT advertised, and the worst "so called offers" have dirty big signs up, and you see people blindly filling their trolleys presuming "it must be cheap, sure the sign is huge".

I might have a few things in mind, but nothing specific, i.e. I have very little brand loyalty to any goods. Since the tesco "change for good" came in I have seen bizarrely cheap products, but like I say they are not advertised as such.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I shop in a local butchers for meat, Superquinn and Lidl, offers vary so its best to shop around and some of Superquinn#s own brand stuff is fantastic value even compared to Lidl.

I have no brand loyalty except for bread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Has anyone tried the superscan in Superquinn. Its very good if youre watching what you spend, as the scanner tots the items up as you scan. Its also good the way you pack your stuff as you go along, so when you reach the superscan checkout, you just hand back the scanner, pay and go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fiona12

Dean0088 wrote: »

Good website! Would have been nice if it was more Irish based though

Advertisement