Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some trippy hippy Black Sabbath

Options
  • 12-11-2009 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

So, I only ever heard "best ofs" by Sabbath but wouldn't mind someone recommend an album, or "this is a must have Sabbath album".

I prefer Ozzy for starters, and I really like songs such as "Hard Road", which veer away from the hard stuff (nothing wrong with the hard stuff by the way), but their trippy acoustic hippy type stuff is pretty good...

Any recommendations....Volume 4 or Sabbath bloody Sabbath perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Right, one of the must have Black Sabbath albums, in my opinion, would be "Paranoid". So many classic songs on one album. As for the trippy stuff, check out " Planet Caravan" on that album.

Or you could check out there first album that has more of a bluesy vibe to it, with an epic last song/jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

First four albums, that's all you need. Black Sabbath, Paranoid, master of Reality and Volume 4. After Vol 4 it all headed downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

The first six albums are fantastic Sabbath bloody sabbath kind of lets them down but what a comeback with Sabotage. For me its either Vol 4 or Sabotage. But I love them all. For a trippy psychadelic track then Planet Caravan on Paranoid would be probably what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I can't believe that Heaven And Hell and Mob Rules are not being pushed as top Sabbath albums. They are not trippy, but they are top notch Sabbath albums.

OP, if you are interested in something new that can be trippy in places and sounds like Sabbath in places, then I suggest you pick up the latest album by Bigelf, it's called Cheat The Gallows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

think ill go for volume 4 first. was watching an interview with Iommi yesterday on rockworld tv, and he comes across as a nice fella, totally different than what I imagined, so I though, "I haven't heard enough of this band"

seems to be only the deluxe editions online for sale though, I think I'll go for Vol 4, Black Sabbath, Master of Reality and Paranoid. Done deal!!

CD or MP3. Some of their riffs are tailor made for cranking in the car....CD methinks....

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    I can't believe that Heaven And Hell and Mob Rules are not being pushed as top Sabbath albums. They are not trippy, but they are top notch Sabbath albums.

They are top albums alright, I have a soft spot for Heaven and Hell. But they are not the top Sabbath albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Mob rules and heaven and hell are also my favourite albums, other amazing bands that take the old school Sabbath sound are Witchcraft and SAHG, both great bands but obviously they wont beat Sabbaths Debut:D

sagh01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

damonjewel wrote: »
    They are top albums alright, I have a soft spot for Heaven and Hell. But they are not the top Sabbath albums.

Never said they were the best of the Sabbath albums, just that they are top albums, and that it was surprising that nobody had mentioned them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Micil

Fairies Wear Boots from Paranoid. B side of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Sabbra Cadabra from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

'Who Are You' off Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is quite hippy trippy.

ordered paranoid and volume 4 for now....looking forward to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Technical Ecstasy, almost no-one has heard it but it's one of their best IMO

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Technical Ecstasy, almost no-one has heard it but it's one of their best IMO

Each to their own, but I think the general consensus from Sab fans would be that this album is a let down and marks the beginning of the end for an Ozzy fronted Sabbath. It has its moments (mainly from Iommi). But lacks input from Geezer Butler, and Bill Ward sings a song, Ozzys vocals aren't so strong either.

Seacht07 stick to your plan of early sabbath, Dio fronted Sabbath is worth a listen, then Technical ecstacy, Never say die, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Kess73 wrote: »

Heaven And Hell is a really great album. I'm not mad about the new Heaven And Hell album 'The Devil You Know' though. OP you should also check out 'Never Say Die, Embryo, Lord of this World, Tomorrow's Dream, Snowblind and Laguna Sunrise. The are class songs/instrumentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

The first 6 albums are generally what's recommended, and I'd agree with that. As regards trippy, Vol. 4 had a lot of 'white snow' blowing around in the studio when they were recording it. I would also highly recommend albums form Orange Goblin as similar type music. They're English also and on the go 14 years, and I've been lucky enough to attend some shows and met the band. Big favourite of mine. Favourite album? Probably Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Enjoy! I'd love to be discovering Sabbath for the first time again.

so I got me volume 4, masters of reality, and paranoid.

as well as the "hits", there's loads of groovy riffing that I like.

what about the album Black Sabbath. Which one should I get, the Euro track listing or the American track listing....:confused:

which "flows" better....

I've got the european one and it flows well, however Deluxe edition ftw

2009 deluxe edition tracklisting

"Black Sabbath" – 6:16
    "The Wizard" – 4:24
    "Behind the Wall of Sleep" – 3:38
    "N.I.B." – 6:06
    "Evil Woman" – 3:25
    "Sleeping Village" – 3:46
    "Warning" – 10:32
    "Wicked World" – 4:47